    But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
    underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
    represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??
    ofn01, Jan 16, 2005

  2. On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:20:39 -0000, ofn01 wrote:

    > My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
    > It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
    > But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
    > underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
    > represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

    Sometimes these laptops have a 'feature' were they will underclock if they
    are running on batteries/get too hot (??). It is to save power.

    Probably something like this is going on:

    http://support.dell.com/support/top.../en/document?dn=1063014&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04
    wogers nemesis, Jan 16, 2005

  3. ofn01

    Warwick Guest

    On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:20:39 -0000, ofn01 wrote:

    > My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
    > It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
    > But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
    > underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
    > represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

    Check out your BIOS settings. There might be options for FSB and chip
    speed.
    When I got this machine it was set at the lowest speed by the people that
    built it.
    Warwick, Jan 16, 2005
  4. ofn01 wrote:

    > My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
    > It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
    > But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
    > underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
    > represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

    laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
    back on heat production.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 16, 2005
  5. ofn01

    Italian Jobs Guest

    On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:36:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >ofn01 wrote:
    >
    >> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
    >> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
    >> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
    >> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does this
    >> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

    >laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
    >back on heat production.

    If you go to the contol panel, then look at power properties.

    Fiddle with the settings that suit you.

    If you sit on always on or desktop machine you'll get full processor
    value.

    Laptop setting throttles the whole thing back to save power.

    Just fiddle around until you work out what you want.
    Italian Jobs, Jan 16, 2005
  6. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    <Italian Jobs> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 17 Jan 2005 08:36:45 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>ofn01 wrote:
    >>
    >>> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
    >>> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
    >>> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then
    >>> states
    >>> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does
    >>> this
    >>> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

    >>laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
    >>back on heat production.

    > If you go to the contol panel, then look at power properties.
    >
    > Fiddle with the settings that suit you.
    >
    > If you sit on always on or desktop machine you'll get full processor
    > value.
    >
    > Laptop setting throttles the whole thing back to save power.
    >
    > Just fiddle around until you work out what you want.

    It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in the
    power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power scheme is
    'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported in my
    computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).

    It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz
    ofn01, Jan 16, 2005
  7. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    "wogers nemesis" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 09:20:39 -0000, ofn01 wrote:
    >
    >> My partner recently got herself a Dell Inspiron 5160.
    >> It states that it has a 2.8Ghz P4 with HT.
    >> But in the my computer/properties box while it states this it then states
    >> underneath the value "1.84Ghz". Does this mean its underclocked or does
    >> this
    >> represent the relative speed against a 'normal' desktop processor??

    > Sometimes these laptops have a 'feature' were they will underclock if they
    > are running on batteries/get too hot (??). It is to save power.
    >
    > Probably something like this is going on:
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/top.../en/document?dn=1063014&c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

    Cheers for the link - i'll have to read it in depth and see how it applies
    to the Dell we have! :)
    ofn01, Jan 16, 2005
  8. ofn01 wrote:
    >>>laptops CPU's normally slow themselves down to conserve battery and cut
    >>>back on heat production.

    > It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in the
    > power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power scheme is
    > 'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported in my
    > computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).
    > It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz

    Like i said earlier, it may also be heat throttling, it happens when
    they put desktop processors into laptops as there is inadequate cooling.

    It sounds remarkibly like it is running on a 66MHz bus rather than a
    100MHz bus though, which Im not sure they did.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jan 16, 2005
  9. ofn01

    rupert Guest

    ">
    > It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in
    > the power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power
    > scheme is 'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported in
    > my computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).
    >
    > It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz

    I've got a 5150 with a 3.06Ghz processor - the machine does sit at around
    1/2 the processor speed most of the time until it needs to work hard, it's a
    feature of the P4 Mobile chip. The bios will allow you to turn the
    throttling off, but the flip side is that it always runs at 1/2 speed.

    Try playing a dvd or doing some other processor intensive task and then try
    look at My Computer->Properties and you should see it running faster
    rupert, Jan 17, 2005
  10. ofn01

    ofn01 Guest

    Re: Dell Inspiron - Processor speed - answered!

    "rupert" <> wrote in message

    > ">
    >> It is plugged into the AC all the time and I can't find any settings in
    >> the power properties specific to laptop throttling - though the power
    >> scheme is 'maximum performance'. Its just wierd that the speed reported
    >> in my computer/properties is 1.84Ghz (has not changed from that).
    >>
    >> It says Pentium 4 2.8Ghz 1.84Ghz
    >>

    > I've got a 5150 with a 3.06Ghz processor - the machine does sit at around
    > 1/2 the processor speed most of the time until it needs to work hard, it's
    > a feature of the P4 Mobile chip. The bios will allow you to turn the
    > throttling off, but the flip side is that it always runs at 1/2 speed.
    >
    > Try playing a dvd or doing some other processor intensive task and then
    > try look at My Computer->Properties and you should see it running faster

    Yep looks like everyone was right - this was the way to show it though!
    It hangs around on exactly 1.84Ghz, but when I played a DVD in the laptop
    and checked my computer/properties (as suggested above), it reported back
    2.79Ghz - so thats good!

    Interestingly with task-manager open though the processor doesn't get much
    above 40%. I think the bulk standard 32Mb graphics that come with it
    probably slow down the DVD as I didn't think it was quite as smooth as it is
    on my desktop.

    Cheers for the info though!
    ofn01, Jan 17, 2005
  11. ofn01

    impossible Guest

    "ofn01" <> wrote in message

    > Yep looks like everyone was right - this was the way to show it though!
    > It hangs around on exactly 1.84Ghz, but when I played a DVD in the laptop
    > and checked my computer/properties (as suggested above), it reported back
    > 2.79Ghz - so thats good!
    >
    > Interestingly with task-manager open though the processor doesn't get much
    > above 40%. I think the bulk standard 32Mb graphics that come with it
    > probably slow down the DVD as I didn't think it was quite as smooth as it
    > is on my desktop.

    What you're looking at in Task Manager is not the % of full cpu speed
    (you've proven you get that on demand now) but the % of cpu usage -- how
    much of the cpu's processing capacity is being used. Since the cpu needs to
    be doing many things, a lower number is always better here.
    impossible, Jan 18, 2005
  12. ofn01

    "impossible" <> wrote in message
    > "ofn01" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Yep looks like everyone was right - this was the way to show it though!
    >> It hangs around on exactly 1.84Ghz, but when I played a DVD in the laptop
    >> and checked my computer/properties (as suggested above), it reported back
    >> 2.79Ghz - so thats good!
    >>
    >> Interestingly with task-manager open though the processor doesn't get
    >> much above 40%. I think the bulk standard 32Mb graphics that come with it
    >> probably slow down the DVD as I didn't think it was quite as smooth as it
    >> is on my desktop.
    >>

    > What you're looking at in Task Manager is not the % of full cpu speed
    > (you've proven you get that on demand now) but the % of cpu usage -- how
    > much of the cpu's processing capacity is being used. Since the cpu needs
    > to be doing many things, a lower number is always better here.

    Yeah I do realise that! :)
    What interested me is that when it is ramped up to full speed (i.e. 2.8Ghz)
    while playing a DVD - the actual processor usage in task manager is only
    around 40% which doesn't exactly correlate with the speed stepping kicking
    in - but I am sure there are other factors involved.

    The reassuring thing is that it can step up to the mark, though in the case
    of DVD playing on this machine, despite the processor stepping upto full
    speed, the lack of actual processor *usage* may possibly be due to the cheap
    graphics card in the laptop being fully maxed out (speculating)
    ofn01, Jan 18, 2005