Dell Inspiron 8200 Power Problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by craigmphillips@cox.net, Feb 25, 2006.

  1. Guest

    My Dell Inspiron 8200 vintage 2002 has developed the following power
    issue-

    When running on AC the power adapter light turns off and the adapter
    stops supplying power to the laptop/batteries. If I unplug the adapter

    and wait a few minutes then plug it back in the light on the adapter
    comes on and power is supplied to the laptop/batteries for about 2-3
    minutes then it powers off again.

    If I plug in the adapter but do not attached the laptop the power light

    on the adapter remains on forever.

    I am thinking the most likely cuplrit is the DC supply board. BTW-I
    have also noticed an odd sound (techinical term) coming from the
    fan/power supply area of the laptop when operating. The noise is like
    a scraping sound and does not correlate with the HD operation. Also
    the fans seem to work fine although I notice the odd sound when the
    fans are not running.

    Does anyone have experience with this situation????? Please advise..

    Bewildered in Phoenix
    , Feb 25, 2006

  2. bmoag Guest

    Clearly it sounds like the power brick is dying. Contact Dell and they will
    be happy to sell you a new one. There are aftermarket brands, like Targus,
    which are lighter in weight. I used one with a Compaq partable for a while
    but ended up having to buy a replacement Compaq power brick anyway.

    bmoag, Feb 25, 2006