    I've checked my power management issues, and I'm thoroughly confused.

    Any ideas?

    - Jack

    Jack, Sep 16, 2005

  2. Jack

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Jack" <> wrote:

    >Hey Guys -
    >
    >I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 with a P4 3.0ghz, 1024 RAM DDR from Fall of
    >2003. I also have a cooling pad (fan) that plugs into and draws power
    >from the USB port, so I no longer have overheating issues.
    >
    >Problem is, every now and then, the laptop spontaneously shuts down.
    >The "click" that you hear when you turn the computer off happens, and
    >the computer shuts off. However, the "power on" light in the front
    >stays on.
    >
    >I've checked my power management issues, and I'm thoroughly confused.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >- Jack

    Check the BIOS setup for the laptop and see if there are any
    temperature monitoring settings that you can adjust. You should be
    able to configure both an alarm temperature and a shutdown
    temperature, but with Dell you can't be sure. Very ofteh the major
    manufacturer's like to prevent people from making manual adjustments
    to the BIOS parameters.

    If you can set the tempertures then the alarm setting should be about
    10 degrees lower than the shutdown setting.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP