Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop--hot--normal??

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MZB, Sep 26, 2005.

  1. MZB

    MZB Guest

    I assume it is, but just checking.

    When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.

    AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.

    I have an Inspiron 2200

    Mel
    MZB, Sep 26, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. MZB

    Mike Easter Guest

    MZB wrote:
    > I assume it is, but just checking.
    >
    > When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >
    > AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten
    > minutes.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 2200


    Well, now. Here's the situation. Too hot is too hot. Not too hot is
    not too hot.

    Got it? Are there any more questions?


    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 26, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. MZB

    Mike Easter Guest

    MZB wrote:
    Subject: Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop--hot--normal??

    The body of a news message is where a properly formulated and
    backgrounded question belongs, not the subject.

    The subject should be a brief 'encapsulation' of the content of the
    message body. If you are having trouble creating subjects, it would be
    better to write the message body first, then create a brief subject for
    it.

    Else the question can't be contextualized and answered in the body by a
    respondent.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2200/en/om/D88330a.pdf
    DellT InspironT 1200 and 2200
    Owner's Manual

    If you access that .pdf owner's manual, then you can search on such
    terms as 'hot' 'warm' and 'temperature' and learn about such things as
    battery temperature, hard drive temperature, battery temperature
    indicator, failure to operate based on heat factors, and similar
    instructions.

    For example, what do your instructions tell you about an alternately
    flashing green and orange battery status light? What should you do?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Sep 26, 2005
    #3
  4. MZB

    MZB Guest

    Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    news:433781a6$0$35434$...
    > MZB wrote:
    > Subject: Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop--hot--normal??
    >
    > The body of a news message is where a properly formulated and
    > backgrounded question belongs, not the subject.
    >
    > The subject should be a brief 'encapsulation' of the content of the
    > message body. If you are having trouble creating subjects, it would be
    > better to write the message body first, then create a brief subject for
    > it.
    >
    > Else the question can't be contextualized and answered in the body by a
    > respondent.
    >
    > http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2200/en/om/D88330a.pdf
    > DellT InspironT 1200 and 2200
    > Owner's Manual
    >
    > If you access that .pdf owner's manual, then you can search on such
    > terms as 'hot' 'warm' and 'temperature' and learn about such things as
    > battery temperature, hard drive temperature, battery temperature
    > indicator, failure to operate based on heat factors, and similar
    > instructions.
    >
    > For example, what do your instructions tell you about an alternately
    > flashing green and orange battery status light? What should you do?
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter
    >



    Mike:

    Thanks for taking the time to respond. I would suggest that you try and be a
    tad less condescending in your responses as this is a help/support
    newsgroup. We all could provide help/support as best we can without the
    attitude.

    Regarding the subject matter line, I thought it was a good idea to be as
    specific as possible in that line, so that folks can more easily decide
    whether or not to read the posting.

    I have the instruction book and to me it was not really clear.

    Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my question, so I'll rephrase it: Is it
    normal for the bottom of a laptop to feel hot. Ditto question for the AC
    Adapter.

    Now, I realize there is such a thing as too hot. I'm not sure how to tell
    when the temperature exceeds the maximum allowed (which I believe is about
    60c).

    Right now, the laptop is literally on my lap and it is getting uncomfortably
    hot (but, no problem, my family is already completed).

    Mel
    MZB, Sep 26, 2005
    #4
  5. MZB

    Toolman Tim Guest

    MZB wrote:
    > Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > news:433781a6$0$35434$...
    >> MZB wrote:
    >> Subject: Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop--hot--normal??
    >>
    >> The body of a news message is where a properly formulated and
    >> backgrounded question belongs, not the subject.
    >>
    >> The subject should be a brief 'encapsulation' of the content of the
    >> message body. If you are having trouble creating subjects, it would
    >> be better to write the message body first, then create a brief
    >> subject for it.
    >>
    >> Else the question can't be contextualized and answered in the body
    >> by a respondent.
    >>
    >> http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins2200/en/om/D88330a.pdf
    >> DellT InspironT 1200 and 2200
    >> Owner's Manual
    >>
    >> If you access that .pdf owner's manual, then you can search on such
    >> terms as 'hot' 'warm' and 'temperature' and learn about such things
    >> as battery temperature, hard drive temperature, battery temperature
    >> indicator, failure to operate based on heat factors, and similar
    >> instructions.
    >>
    >> For example, what do your instructions tell you about an alternately
    >> flashing green and orange battery status light? What should you do?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mike Easter
    >>

    >
    >
    > Mike:
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to respond. I would suggest that you try
    > and be a tad less condescending in your responses as this is a
    > help/support newsgroup. We all could provide help/support as best we
    > can without the attitude.
    >
    > Regarding the subject matter line, I thought it was a good idea to be
    > as specific as possible in that line, so that folks can more easily
    > decide whether or not to read the posting.
    >
    > I have the instruction book and to me it was not really clear.
    >
    > Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my question, so I'll rephrase it: Is it
    > normal for the bottom of a laptop to feel hot. Ditto question
    > for the AC Adapter.
    >
    > Now, I realize there is such a thing as too hot. I'm not sure how to
    > tell when the temperature exceeds the maximum allowed (which I
    > believe is about 60c).
    >
    > Right now, the laptop is literally on my lap and it is getting
    > uncomfortably hot (but, no problem, my family is already completed).
    >
    > Mel


    FWIW, I saw no problem with the subject line vs. message content. Yes, it
    caught my eye. And there was enough in the message to follow up with. So
    don't sweat it.

    I have used a number of laptops, many run hot in my lap - almost hot enough
    to be uncomfortable. I think the Dell systems all vented the CPU cooler out
    the sides, but I've worked with some on which the cooling fan points down
    from the bottom of the case. Placing it on my lap literally plugged to
    cooling system. Stupid design! Check yours, and be sure nothing is blocking
    any vents.

    Also, a laptop should slow down when it isn't running hard - see if your
    speed stepping is working. AMD has a utility for their CPUs, but I've not
    looked for Intel. The display shows the current CPU load and speed...really
    cool!

    --
    Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change.
    Toolman Tim, Sep 27, 2005
    #5
  6. Setting the notebook on an egg crate solved the problem for me OR you
    could order one of these:

    Check Google for:

    Targus Tornado Chill Mat

    OR

    Antec Notebook Cooler


    Heat is NOT beneficial for ANY computer!!!!!

    "MZB" <> chiseled in stone, the following words
    news:VEKZe.9783$:

    > I assume it is, but just checking.
    >
    > When running more than 10 minutes, the bottom is hot.
    >
    > AC adapter also gets very hot when plugged in for more than ten minutes.
    >
    > I have an Inspiron 2200
    >
    > Mel


    --
    @}-}--}------Rosee http://www.cangogh.net/pix.html
    www.givemeals.com www.freedonation.com www.hungersite.com
    "This (TINT) is whatever I want it to be you bigfooted
    belligerent bowlegged babblative babuina."~Zigi~
    @}-}-------Rosee, Sep 27, 2005
    #6
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. GeneM

    LinkSys WRT54G to Dell Inspiron 2200

    GeneM, Dec 28, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    6,296
  2. GeneM

    LinkSys WRT54G to Dell Inspiron 2200

    GeneM, Dec 28, 2005, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    737
    GeneM
    Dec 28, 2005
  3. Adam
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    858
    George
    Nov 21, 2005
  4. Jules
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    778
    Jules
    Sep 22, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?R3V5IFJlZ3VsYXI=?=

    Restore screen on Dell Inspiron 2200 laptop running Windows XP Pro

    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5IFJlZ3VsYXI=?=, Oct 31, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    759
    =?Utf-8?B?R3V5IFJlZ3VsYXI=?=
    Oct 31, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page