    adding hardware. He went on to indicate that it is so limited that you have
    to order the hardware through Dell in order to get something that will work.
    I am hoping for opinions and thoughts to support or refute this claim.

    WillW, Jun 22, 2004

  2. WillW

    Jerry G. Guest

    They do a few things for themselves. As for the external devices most
    will work. I have read about instances where some particular things
    would not work with them.

    If you buy something that is not from them to use on their machine, and
    you call them for help, they will not want anything to do with it.
    Therefore there is no after sales support for their machine concerning
    non DELL products, if something is added that is not from them. I have a
    friend that is going through some headaches with a printer problem with
    the DELL. I have not had a chance to go and see it yet.

    About 2 years ago, we installed a CD writer in a DELL machine that was
    not from them. We ended up having to search the net for a specific
    patched driver so their BIOS would be able to properly see the drive.
    After that, it worked okay.

    If someone buys a DELL, and they only stick to the DELL options and
    add-ons, there will not be a problem for support. I would personally go
    for a clone machine myself. This way I can pick and choose the options
    and manufactures that I want.

    Their after sales support is very good. I would strongly suggest a very
    long warranty with their product. If it breaks after the first year, the
    service cost will be very expensive.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com
    Instruments http://www.zoom-one.com/glgtech.htm
    "WillW" <> wrote in message
    A family member just ordered a Dell. Another family member told them
    that
    Dell makes good computers, but have issues when it comes to swapping or

    Jerry G., Jun 22, 2004

  3. WillW wrote:

    > A family member just ordered a Dell. Another family member told them
    > that Dell makes good computers, but have issues when it comes to swapping
    > or
    > adding hardware. He went on to indicate that it is so limited that you
    > have to order the hardware through Dell in order to get something that
    > will work. I am hoping for opinions and thoughts to support or refute this
    > claim.

    Is it a Dell laptop or desktop? Their laptops are fairly standard, so you
    can get stuff like RAM anywhere. Likewise, they use standard 2.5" hard
    drives, so you can swap drives easily. If you want to upgrade the removable
    optical drive, you'll probably have to get that from Dell.

    If it's a desktop, I can't really think of any non-standard parts. I know
    that the RAM is standard, and you can swap in a variety of graphics cards
    or sound cards. Also, since they have FireWire and USB, all of your
    peripherals like scanners or external hard drives should work just fine.

    I don't know how easy it is to swap out the CPU for a faster one, but that's
    not a big deal. Usually, by the time I'm ready to upgrade the CPU, I have
    to swap out the motherboard anyway, since I'm usually going from one
    processor family to another. For instance, my last upgrade was from a
    Pentium III to a Pentium 4, and I don't think there were ANY PIII
    motherboards out there that would have taken a P4 chip anyway.

    I can't swear that the motherboards in the Dell desktops are standard ATX
    boards, so if you ever upgrade the motherboard, you may have to buy a new
    case as well. All of the internal parts like hard drives, optical drives,
    etcetera should transfer over with no problem, though.

    About the only thing that might be lacking on the Dell motherboards is
    available PCI slots. I don't know how many open slots you'll have on the
    computer. This isn't as big of a deal as it once was, since most
    motherboards come with sound and network support built in, and many
    peripherals these days use FireWire or USB, rather than having to be
    plugged into a PCI slot. Things were different back when I had a separate
    RAID card, network card, sound card, video capture board, etcetera
    etcetera. Nowadays, most of those capabilities are either built into the
    motherboard or they use Firewire/USB.

    Scott Gardner

    Scott Gardner, Jun 22, 2004
  4. WillW

    Wizard Guest

    The only thing I am aware of that is proprietary are the power supplies.
    Ps/ Plan on speaking to an Indian (European) for support.

    Wizard, Jun 22, 2004
  5. WillW

    ArtKramr Guest

    >Subject: Dell Hardware Swap/Add Capability?
    >From: "WillW"
    >Date: 6/21/04 8:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    >
    >A family member just ordered a Dell. Another family member told them that
    >Dell makes good computers, but have issues when it comes to swapping or
    >adding hardware. He went on to indicate that it is so limited that you have
    >to order the hardware through Dell in order to get something that will work.
    >I am hoping for opinions and thoughts to support or refute this claim.

    He's right. Order thrugh Dell or take your risks. I am on my second DELL and
    nothing fits anything.

    Arthur Kramer
    344th BG 494th BS
    Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
    http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

    ArtKramr, Jun 22, 2004
  6. WillW

    Gus Guest

    "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > >Subject: Dell Hardware Swap/Add Capability?
    > >From: "WillW"
    > >Date: 6/21/04 8:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    > >
    > >A family member just ordered a Dell. Another family member told them

    that
    > >Dell makes good computers, but have issues when it comes to swapping or
    > >adding hardware. He went on to indicate that it is so limited that you

    have
    > >to order the hardware through Dell in order to get something that will

    work.
    > >I am hoping for opinions and thoughts to support or refute this claim.

    The main thing to look out for is changing anything in the bays--floppy
    drive and CD mainly. They use a proprietary rail system and buying
    after-market won't get you the right mounting hardware. I bought one of
    their refurbished units without a floppy and ended up buying one from Dell
    later just to get the right mounting brackets.

    Gus, Jun 22, 2004
  7. WillW

    Vanessa S. Guest

    Gus <> wrote in message

    > "ArtKramr" <> wrote in message
    > > >Subject: Dell Hardware Swap/Add Capability?
    > > >From: "WillW"
    > > >Date: 6/21/04 8:53 PM Pacific Daylight Time
    > > >
    > > >A family member just ordered a Dell. Another family member told them

    > that
    > > >Dell makes good computers, but have issues when it comes to swapping or
    > > >adding hardware. He went on to indicate that it is so limited that you

    > have
    > > >to order the hardware through Dell in order to get something that will

    > work.
    > > >I am hoping for opinions and thoughts to support or refute this claim.

    > The main thing to look out for is changing anything in the bays--floppy
    > drive and CD mainly. They use a proprietary rail system and buying
    > after-market won't get you the right mounting hardware. I bought one of
    > their refurbished units without a floppy and ended up buying one from Dell
    > later just to get the right mounting brackets.

    I added an Imation CD Burner to my (old) Dell (D333) in an empty bay with no
    problem.

    Vanessa

    Vanessa S., Jun 22, 2004