    tried everything but a complete reinstall of XP but I can't do that
    because a reinstallation CD did not come with his computer and he
    doesn't have a product ID. Any ideas?

    sharonf, Jan 27, 2009

  2. sharonf

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:10:53 -0700, sharonf <> wrote:

    >My son's Dell E521 won't boot into Windows. His computer started up for
    >a disk check which at first started normally and then got a blue screen
    >error(stop:0x00000024). It gets the same error when I try to start it in
    >Safe Mode. I tried using the Recovery Console which found a disk error.
    >I then let it correct the disk error, ran another scan and no other
    >errors were found. However the computer will still not boot up He still
    >gets a blue screen error....this time a different one(oxooooooo7e) I've
    >tried everything but a complete reinstall of XP but I can't do that
    >because a reinstallation CD did not come with his computer and he
    >doesn't have a product ID. Any ideas?

    Google says 0x00000024 is a hardware error..
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x00000024&btnG=Google Search&aq=f&oq=

    Why didn't it come with a XP CD? Sounds like either a new hard drive
    or a reinstall is in order.

    Evan Platt, Jan 27, 2009

  3. sharonf

    sharonf Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:10:53 -0700, sharonf <> wrote:
    >
    >> My son's Dell E521 won't boot into Windows. His computer started up for
    >> a disk check which at first started normally and then got a blue screen
    >> error(stop:0x00000024). It gets the same error when I try to start it in
    >> Safe Mode. I tried using the Recovery Console which found a disk error.
    >> I then let it correct the disk error, ran another scan and no other
    >> errors were found. However the computer will still not boot up He still
    >> gets a blue screen error....this time a different one(oxooooooo7e) I've
    >> tried everything but a complete reinstall of XP but I can't do that
    >> because a reinstallation CD did not come with his computer and he
    >> doesn't have a product ID. Any ideas?

    > Google says 0x00000024 is a hardware error..
    > http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x00000024&btnG=Google Search&aq=f&oq=
    >
    > Why didn't it come with a XP CD? Sounds like either a new hard drive
    > or a reinstall is in order.

    Dell, in all their wisdom, stopped sending the cds with their new
    computers.They apparently think that all problems can be fixed with the
    Recovery console or with their Resource CD. This problem is proving more
    difficult. The recovery console did fix the 0x00000024 error but then we
    started getting the other error and I can't find any information on that
    one. The only option seems to be a complete clean install but I can't do
    that without a product code and installation cd.

    sharonf, Jan 27, 2009
  4. sharonf

    VanguardLH Guest

    sharonf wrote:

    > My son's Dell E521 won't boot into Windows. His computer started up for
    > a disk check which at first started normally and then got a blue screen
    > error(stop:0x00000024). It gets the same error when I try to start it in
    > Safe Mode. I tried using the Recovery Console which found a disk error.
    > I then let it correct the disk error, ran another scan and no other
    > errors were found. However the computer will still not boot up He still
    > gets a blue screen error....this time a different one(oxooooooo7e) I've
    > tried everything but a complete reinstall of XP but I can't do that
    > because a reinstallation CD did not come with his computer and he
    > doesn't have a product ID. Any ideas?

    When Windows first starts loading, hit F8 to get into the menu (the same
    one you used to select the Safe Mode boot). Select "last known good
    configuration" and see if you can get in that way. If so, probably a
    driver got installed, you were tweaking the registry or cleaning it,
    running a defrag on the system files, or something else that interferes
    with the OS load or corrupted its files.

    If that doesn't work, you'll have to order the restore CDs (~$20) if you
    never created them per the manual that came will the computer. I
    believe the software to create the restore CDs uses a hidden partition
    where an image was stored for the OS. I also recall that during the
    bootup that you could select to start their recovery manager which could
    use that image to restore the OS partition back to its install-time
    state. If you made the restore CDs, their use will wipe the partition
    with the OS so you will lose any data files that were saved in that
    partition.

    Since this is a Dell, the product key is on a sticker on the case
    (backside for desktops, underside for laptops).

    VanguardLH, Jan 27, 2009
  5. sharonf

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:15:45 -0700, sharonf <> wrote:

    >Dell, in all their wisdom, stopped sending the cds with their new
    >computers.They apparently think that all problems can be fixed with the
    >Recovery console or with their Resource CD. This problem is proving more
    >difficult. The recovery console did fix the 0x00000024 error but then we
    >started getting the other error and I can't find any information on that
    >one. The only option seems to be a complete clean install but I can't do
    >that without a product code and installation cd.

    True, they stopped sending a Operating system CD. But they include an
    application to burn a XP / Recovery CD. If you obviously aren't able
    to boot into Windows, you can contact Dell, and for a fee, have a O/S
    CD mailed to you.

    Evan Platt, Jan 27, 2009
  6. sharonf

    Star@*.* Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 23:15:45 -0700, sharonf <> wrote:

    >Evan Platt wrote:
    >> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 22:10:53 -0700, sharonf <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> My son's Dell E521 won't boot into Windows. His computer started up for
    >>> a disk check which at first started normally and then got a blue screen
    >>> error(stop:0x00000024). It gets the same error when I try to start it in
    >>> Safe Mode. I tried using the Recovery Console which found a disk error.
    >>> I then let it correct the disk error, ran another scan and no other
    >>> errors were found. However the computer will still not boot up He still
    >>> gets a blue screen error....this time a different one(oxooooooo7e) I've
    >>> tried everything but a complete reinstall of XP but I can't do that
    >>> because a reinstallation CD did not come with his computer and he
    >>> doesn't have a product ID. Any ideas?

    >> Google says 0x00000024 is a hardware error..
    >> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=0x00000024&btnG=Google Search&aq=f&oq=
    >>
    >> Why didn't it come with a XP CD? Sounds like either a new hard drive
    >> or a reinstall is in order.

    >Dell, in all their wisdom, stopped sending the cds with their new
    >computers.They apparently think that all problems can be fixed with the
    >Recovery console or with their Resource CD. This problem is proving more
    >difficult. The recovery console did fix the 0x00000024 error but then we
    >started getting the other error and I can't find any information on that
    >one. The only option seems to be a complete clean install but I can't do
    >that without a product code and installation cd.

    Where did you buy your Dell?

    I and several friends have purchased Dell computers over the last 2
    years (in excess of 15) and have always recieved a full set of disks
    including a true Windows CD or DVD. I have found all the computers
    had a recovery partition to set the system back to original as
    shipped. Every brand name computer is required by the license from MS
    to attach a sticker with the product code attached to the system.
    Again I really wonder where your Dell computer came from or where you
    are located.

    Art

    Star@*.*, Jan 27, 2009