Dell disagrees with MS, Linux growing faster (on servers)....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Oct 17, 2007.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33

    "..........Dell said his company has seen Linux uptake for servers
    increase faster than Windows server products, despite Microsoft's
    claims........."

    here you go, you can have your cake and eat it....Linux desktop might be
    going no-where,

    "..........Dell did not expect its Linux PCs to sell in large numbers,
    reiterating that Linux growth was with servers. "Are they [Linux PCs]
    going to sell a lot? Absolutely not. But on the server side we've seen
    continued growth,"........"

    but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,

    ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].

    Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 17, 2007
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >
    > "..........Dell said his company has seen Linux uptake for servers
    > increase faster than Windows server products, despite Microsoft's
    > claims........."
    >
    > here you go, you can have your cake and eat it....Linux desktop might be
    > going no-where,
    >
    > "..........Dell did not expect its Linux PCs to sell in large numbers,
    > reiterating that Linux growth was with servers. "Are they [Linux PCs]
    > going to sell a lot? Absolutely not. But on the server side we've seen
    > continued growth,"........"
    >
    > but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,
    >
    > ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    > migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].
    >


    Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk endorsement.

    > Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    > move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    > more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >


    Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?
    impossible, Oct 17, 2007
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:

    >> but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,
    >>
    >> ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    >> migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].
    >>

    >
    > Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk endorsement.
    >
    >> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....

    >
    > Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?


    Isn't it fascinating how the M$ Shills instantly start attacking people as
    soon as they quote from any news story that sounds even remotely positive
    about the increasing uptake of community-developed Free Open Source
    software.


    --
    Jonathan Walker

    "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."
    Jonathan Walker, Oct 17, 2007
    #3
  4. thingy

    Biggles Guest

    On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:

    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>

    >
    >>

    > Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    > endorsement.
    >
    >> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>
    >>

    > Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?


    Its a small victory tho, that the COLA dim bulb admits the linux desktop
    has landed atop the titanic ...


    Bigglessssssxs
    Biggles, Oct 17, 2007
    #4
  5. In message <elgRi.141105$Xa3.45307@attbi_s22>, impossible wrote:

    > Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk endorsement.


    Two typos in one sentence. I don't think anyone would hire you as a
    professional spinmeister...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 17, 2007
    #5
  6. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >>> but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,
    >>>
    >>> ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    >>> migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].
    >>>

    >>
    >> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >> endorsement.
    >>
    >>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....

    >>
    >> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?

    >
    > Isn't it fascinating how the M$ Shills instantly start attacking people as
    > soon as they quote from any news story that sounds even remotely positive
    > about the increasing uptake of community-developed Free Open Source
    > software.
    >
    >


    Psst! Keep your head down when thingy is trolling. Your reputation in this
    newgroup is so dreadful, you'll just make it look like LinuxHeads are all
    reading from the same silly script.
    impossible, Oct 17, 2007
    #6
  7. thingy

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>
    >> "..........Dell said his company has seen Linux uptake for servers
    >> increase faster than Windows server products, despite Microsoft's
    >> claims........."
    >>
    >> here you go, you can have your cake and eat it....Linux desktop might be
    >> going no-where,
    >>
    >> "..........Dell did not expect its Linux PCs to sell in large numbers,
    >> reiterating that Linux growth was with servers. "Are they [Linux PCs]
    >> going to sell a lot? Absolutely not. But on the server side we've seen
    >> continued growth,"........"
    >>
    >> but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,
    >>
    >> ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    >> migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].
    >>

    >
    > Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk endorsement.


    Your reading would seem way more selective. If you dont want to look
    dont read.

    >> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>

    >
    > Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?


    There is a difference between Linux "moral" boosting and Windows it
    seems... A significant difference, with MS its spin from MS with little
    basis on fact, with Linux there is a far higher degree of
    independence....from non-linux aligned parties.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 17, 2007
    #7
  8. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Biggles wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>>

    >> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >> endorsement.
    >>
    >>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>>
    >>>

    >> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?

    >
    > Its a small victory tho, that the COLA dim bulb admits the linux desktop
    > has landed atop the titanic ...
    >
    >
    > Bigglessssssxs


    Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    guns, linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here
    seem to equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and
    ISV/developer space, this is demonstrably untrue.

    Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell
    and HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market
    for them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting
    vista as fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing
    a Titanic....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 17, 2007
    #8
  9. thingy

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "Jonathan Walker" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>>> but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,
    >>>>
    >>>> ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    >>>> migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].
    >>>>
    >>> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >>> endorsement.
    >>>
    >>>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?

    >> Isn't it fascinating how the M$ Shills instantly start attacking people as
    >> soon as they quote from any news story that sounds even remotely positive
    >> about the increasing uptake of community-developed Free Open Source
    >> software.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Psst! Keep your head down when thingy is trolling. Your reputation in this
    > newgroup is so dreadful, you'll just make it look like LinuxHeads are all
    > reading from the same silly script.
    >
    >


    Actually its more likely to be yours....though I suspect it cant get
    much lower anyway....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 17, 2007
    #9
  10. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>>
    >>> "..........Dell said his company has seen Linux uptake for servers
    >>> increase faster than Windows server products, despite Microsoft's
    >>> claims........."
    >>>
    >>> here you go, you can have your cake and eat it....Linux desktop might be
    >>> going no-where,
    >>>
    >>> "..........Dell did not expect its Linux PCs to sell in large numbers,
    >>> reiterating that Linux growth was with servers. "Are they [Linux PCs]
    >>> going to sell a lot? Absolutely not. But on the server side we've seen
    >>> continued growth,"........"
    >>>
    >>> but the server space is doing very nicely thanks....in fact,
    >>>
    >>> ".....We're seeing a move to Linux in critical applications, and Linux
    >>> migration has not slowed down......." [due to SCO].
    >>>

    >>
    >> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >> endorsement.

    >
    > Your reading would seem way more selective. If you dont want to look dont
    > read.
    >
    >>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>>

    >>
    >> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?

    >
    > There is a difference between Linux "moral" boosting and Windows it
    > seems... A significant difference, with MS its spin from MS with little
    > basis on fact, with Linux there is a far higher degree of
    > independence....from non-linux aligned parties.
    >


    Which of course is why you always provide hard evidence to back up your
    claims. No, wait ... you don't provide **any** evidence ,do you? Let's see,
    Dell is the fourth largest server vendor with about 11% of the market, and
    Linux sales account for how many of their total, did you say? Compared to
    how many for Solaris or MS?
    impossible, Oct 17, 2007
    #10
  11. In message <>, thingy wrote:

    > Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    > guns, linux desktop, negligble.


    Except some of these newer compact machines, like the Asus Eee, Intel
    Classmate and of course the OLPC XO-1, seem like an interesting new
    opportunity for desktop Linux. Possibly in quite high volumes, too.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 18, 2007
    #11
  12. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, thingy wrote:
    >
    >> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    >> guns, linux desktop, negligble.

    >
    > Except some of these newer compact machines, like the Asus Eee, Intel
    > Classmate and of course the OLPC XO-1, seem like an interesting new
    > opportunity for desktop Linux. Possibly in quite high volumes, too.


    I wonder what markets these will sell in....and how well "we" will get
    to see the sales, and how well they will do. I would expect them to do
    best in Asia and other developing markets and so maybe get under
    reported as most statistics seem to be US based.

    As an example looking at NZ v Korea for sites visited, NZ has a high
    international traffic use where most Koreans stay in Korea, hardly
    surprising if all you speak is Korean....

    So if the sites that report on statistics are english speaking with
    english text (and especially in the US) such items as a Linux based Asus
    Eee may not show up. Then add in that international bandwidth is
    expensive so developing world Internet users may try and stay as
    national based traffic, again being missed off US statistics.

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 19, 2007
    #12
  13. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Biggles wrote:
    >> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>
    >>> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>> news:...
    >>>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>>>
    >>> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >>> endorsement.
    >>>
    >>>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?

    >>
    >> Its a small victory tho, that the COLA dim bulb admits the linux desktop
    >> has landed atop the titanic ...
    >>
    >>
    >> Bigglessssssxs

    >
    > Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great guns,
    > linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here seem to
    > equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and ISV/developer
    > space, this is demonstrably untrue.
    >
    > Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell and
    > HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market for
    > them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting vista as
    > fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing a
    > Titanic....
    >


    Linux use on the desktop has barely surpassed that of Window 98. Vista use
    is 3 times greater than all of Linux combined. So, hey, these are just
    facts, but you might want to rethink that Titantic analogy.

    http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    impossible, Oct 19, 2007
    #13
  14. thingy

    Puddle Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Biggles wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>>>>
    >>>> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >>>> endorsement.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>>>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>>>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?
    >>> Its a small victory tho, that the COLA dim bulb admits the linux desktop
    >>> has landed atop the titanic ...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Bigglessssssxs

    >> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great guns,
    >> linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here seem to
    >> equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and ISV/developer
    >> space, this is demonstrably untrue.
    >>
    >> Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell and
    >> HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market for
    >> them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting vista as
    >> fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing a
    >> Titanic....
    >>

    >
    > Linux use on the desktop has barely surpassed that of Window 98. Vista use
    > is 3 times greater than all of Linux combined. So, hey, these are just
    > facts, but you might want to rethink that Titantic analogy.
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >
    >


    Great website, haven't seen that before. It puts things in perspective
    a bit. Interesting to see how badly Vista is doing, seems most thing XP
    is just fine. Also interesting to see how far linux is behind and how
    over represented it is in this group from the very vocal minority, isn't
    that always the way, minority groups always have to shout to be heard..
    Puddle, Oct 19, 2007
    #14
  15. thingy

    thingy Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > "thingy" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> Biggles wrote:
    >>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>>> news:...
    >>>>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>>>>
    >>>> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >>>> endorsement.
    >>>>
    >>>>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one would
    >>>>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident and
    >>>>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?
    >>> Its a small victory tho, that the COLA dim bulb admits the linux desktop
    >>> has landed atop the titanic ...
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Bigglessssssxs

    >> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great guns,
    >> linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here seem to
    >> equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and ISV/developer
    >> space, this is demonstrably untrue.
    >>
    >> Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell and
    >> HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market for
    >> them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting vista as
    >> fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing a
    >> Titanic....
    >>

    >
    > Linux use on the desktop has barely surpassed that of Window 98. Vista use
    > is 3 times greater than all of Linux combined. So, hey, these are just
    > facts, but you might want to rethink that Titantic analogy.
    >
    > http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php
    >
    >


    So with all of MS's marketing might and "high quality" OS the best they
    can do is 4.11% of people who bought a PC that came with Vista, v 1.38%
    who chose to install Linux.

    That's laughable...

    A more interesting breakdown is that 30% of the hits were from the
    USA....and overall 52% ish from developed countries where I would have
    expected the MS OS to dominate....

    I wonder how well legit sales of Vista are going in that other
    48%.....not well I suspect....

    regards

    Thing
    thingy, Oct 19, 2007
    #15
  16. thingy

    impossible Guest

    "thingy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > impossible wrote:
    >> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> Biggles wrote:
    >>>> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 04:38:34 +0000, impossible wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> "thingy" <> wrote in message
    >>>>> news:...
    >>>>>> http://software.silicon.com/os/0,39024651,39168818,00.htm?r=33
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Even with you careful editing, that reads like a pretty wealk
    >>>>> endorsement.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>> Looks like developers are pretty happy as are customers....no one
    >>>>>> would
    >>>>>> move critical apps to Linux from choice unless they were confident
    >>>>>> and
    >>>>>> more confident of the outcome than "simply" going MS.....
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>
    >>>>> Is it your turn this week to be the Linux morale booster?
    >>>> Its a small victory tho, that the COLA dim bulb admits the linux
    >>>> desktop has landed atop the titanic ...
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> Bigglessssssxs
    >>> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    >>> guns, linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here
    >>> seem to equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and
    >>> ISV/developer space, this is demonstrably untrue.
    >>>
    >>> Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell
    >>> and HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market
    >>> for them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting
    >>> vista as fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing
    >>> a Titanic....
    >>>

    >>
    >> Linux use on the desktop has barely surpassed that of Window 98. Vista
    >> use is 3 times greater than all of Linux combined. So, hey, these are
    >> just facts, but you might want to rethink that Titantic analogy.
    >>
    >> http://www.w3counter.com/globalstats.php

    >
    > So with all of MS's marketing might and "high quality" OS the best they
    > can do is 4.11% of people who bought a PC that came with Vista, v 1.38%
    > who chose to install Linux.
    >
    > That's laughable...
    >


    You try to make a big deal about the low sales of Vista, as if that somehow
    makes Linux look better. And yet Linux developers gave utterly failed to
    capitalize on the Vista dud. What's with that? XP is the #1 choice in
    operating systems rights now. People would much prefer to pay a few hundred
    dollars for a six-year-old Windows system than to download the latest Linux
    concoction for free. What does that tell you?

    > A more interesting breakdown is that 30% of the hits were from the
    > USA....and overall 52% ish from developed countries where I would have
    > expected the MS OS to dominate....
    >


    Since there are *no* statistics that will; support your fantasies about
    Linux, all you can do is speculate that the statistics on Windows are
    somehow biased. Maybe so, but the sites collecting this data have no
    particular reason to spin the data, and I've never seen any concflicting
    data toi castg doubt on these results. Surely if there were **any** evidence
    out there even remotely consistent with your claim, it would be headlined in
    all the Linux blogs. Got a single one for me to check. No, I didn't think
    so.

    > I wonder how well legit sales of Vista are going in that other 48%.....not
    > well I suspect....
    >


    As far as I can tell, Vista sales stink everywhere. All the more reason to
    wonder why Linux distributors can't even give their product away.
    impossible, Oct 19, 2007
    #16
  17. In article <>, thingy <> wrote:
    >Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >> In message <>, thingy wrote:
    >>
    >>> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    >>> guns, linux desktop, negligble.

    >>
    >> Except some of these newer compact machines, like the Asus Eee, Intel
    >> Classmate and of course the OLPC XO-1, seem like an interesting new
    >> opportunity for desktop Linux. Possibly in quite high volumes, too.

    >
    >I wonder what markets these will sell in....and how well "we" will get
    >to see the sales, and how well they will do. I would expect them to do
    >best in Asia and other developing markets and so maybe get under
    >reported as most statistics seem to be US based.
    >
    >As an example looking at NZ v Korea for sites visited, NZ has a high
    >international traffic use where most Koreans stay in Korea, hardly
    >surprising if all you speak is Korean....
    >
    >So if the sites that report on statistics are english speaking with
    >english text (and especially in the US) such items as a Linux based Asus
    >Eee may not show up. Then add in that international bandwidth is
    >expensive so developing world Internet users may try and stay as
    >national based traffic, again being missed off US statistics.


    ... IIRC, some of these 'surveys' of market share go off sales too don't
    they ? If that's the case here (I don't know :) ), surely the fact that you
    can download and freely distribute linux must limit the 'sales' data ?
    Bruce Sinclair, Oct 23, 2007
    #17
  18. thingy

    Biggles Guest

    On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:12:48 +1300, thingy wrote:


    >
    > Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    > guns, linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here
    > seem to equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and
    > ISV/developer space, this is demonstrably untrue.
    >




    negligible ... the desktop has flat lined for the best part of a
    decade ...

    > Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell
    > and HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market
    > for them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting
    > vista as fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing
    > a Titanic....
    >


    Until they consolidate the fragmented desktop mess, the developer's
    change their mindset from not giving a crap about the desktop market
    little will ever change.




    Biggles..
    Biggles, Oct 23, 2007
    #18
  19. Biggles wrote:
    > On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:12:48 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    >> guns, linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here
    >> seem to equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and
    >> ISV/developer space, this is demonstrably untrue.

    >
    > negligible ... the desktop has flat lined for the best part of a
    > decade ...


    You appear to be suffering from a delusion.

    http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu, vista, xp, linux

    >> Linux on the desktop has not done a BeOS, its going "OK". Proof, Dell
    >> and HP are selling desktops so there must be almost enough of a market
    >> for them to do so.....otherwise they would be spending time shifting
    >> vista as fast as they could, oh wait I mean XP, its Vista that is doing
    >> a Titanic....

    >
    > Until they consolidate the fragmented desktop mess, the developer's
    > change their mindset from not giving a crap about the desktop market
    > little will ever change.
    Mark Robinson, Oct 23, 2007
    #19
  20. thingy

    Squiggle Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:

    > Biggles wrote:
    >> On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 08:12:48 +1300, thingy wrote:
    >>> Yes and no, as I have said before linux on the server is going great
    >>> guns, linux desktop, negligable. However some of the MS borg in here
    >>> seem to equate "failure" on the desktop as failure on the server and
    >>> ISV/developer space, this is demonstrably untrue.

    >>
    >> negligible ... the desktop has flat lined for the best part of a
    >> decade ...

    >
    > You appear to be suffering from a delusion.
    >
    > http://www.google.com/trends?q=ubuntu, vista, xp, linux
    >

    oh yeah, look at that, linux on a decreasing trend...
    put in the name of any distro other than unbuntu and they are pretty
    much flatlined at zero..

    And here I was thinking you were disagreeing with Biggles.

    PS: thats a search terms counter, its relationship to the number of
    people using the OS they are searching for information on is tenuous at
    best.
    Squiggle, Oct 23, 2007
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?ZG91Z2hib3kzMQ==?=

    Implementing dhcp servers and dns servers

    =?Utf-8?B?ZG91Z2hib3kzMQ==?=, Jun 16, 2006, in forum: MCSE
    Replies:
    20
    Views:
    3,109
    Guest
    Jun 24, 2006
  2. Duane Arnold
    Replies:
    25
    Views:
    809
    Duane Arnold
    Jun 28, 2006
  3. manazar
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,452
    manazar
    Jan 31, 2008
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Novell’s Growing Linux Business

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 20, 2009, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    279
    thingy
    Jun 21, 2009
  5. peterwn
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    314
    peterwn
    Jun 2, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page