Dell Dimension E510 Wireless Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reed hunt, Sep 14, 2006.

  1. reed hunt

    reed hunt

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Hello.

    I am trying to install a wireless card on my Dell Dim E510 but the expansion slot that came with the computer doesn't appear to be the right size (my terminology will be off, but the slot appears to be full-length with one "break" in it - so most of the slot is one long channel then there's another channel that's separated slightly from the main one.)

    I am hoping to use my D-Link DWL-G520 card in this machine but it has a different slot size (smaller) and configuration than the existing slot.

    I spoke with Dell and they said they do have a wireless card for my machine (which is more the the others, of course) but it seems to me that the D-Link card should fit (I called D-Link, too, and that's their standard configuration).

    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    Also, is there a wireless product (antenna) that uses a USB port and/or one that uses an ethernet connection?

    Thanks in advance.

    -Reed

    Update - I just purchased a D-Link wireless USB network adapter - anyone care to comment on this unit?

    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
    reed hunt, Sep 14, 2006

  2. reed hunt

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,483
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Your D-Link card is a PCI device, and can only go into a PCI slot. I know that there are many types of slots out now. I bet you have at least one open PCI slot in that motherboard. It's going to be white, and it's slightly shorter than the AGP or PCI-e videocard slot. Your card will only fit the one type of slot.

    I use several USB wireless-G adapters on my computers, and they generally work well. Windows XP should recognize them automatically.

    bigal, Sep 15, 2006

  3. reed hunt

    Don35

    Joined:
    Sep 16, 2006
    Messages:
    18
    The USB adapter should work fine

    Don35, Sep 16, 2006
  4. reed hunt

    jayhawklover92

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Stupid me

    I got to this place....now i don't know how to post a problem. Can somebody help me?

    jayhawklover92, Sep 24, 2006