Dell dimension 5000 power supply - replacement.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by timisbrill@aol.com, Aug 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I've sent my computer to the computer repair shop and they say thats
    its power supply is brocken and needs replacing. The cost for the power
    supply needed is about £130.

    I have some details of the power supply and my computer before i sent
    it off.

    Computer:

    - Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    - Dell Dimension 5000, Pentium 4 processor with HT technology (3.00GHz,

    800fsb, 1MB cache)
    - Serial ATA 160GB hard drive (7200rpm)
    - 1024MB DDR400 Dual channel memory (2x512)
    - 128MB ATI Radeon X300SE video card.

    Power Supply:

    Model: N305P-00
    Input: 100 - 120V / 9.0A
    200 - 240V / 4.5V
    Output: +5V / 22.0A
    +12VA / 18.0A
    +12VB / 18.0A blah blah blah...

    I just need to know if it is possible to replace this without having to
    spend £130+ and if so where can I get one from.

    The computer man said that dell power supplies are different from all
    the other normal ones so I can't just buy a new cheap one - something
    to do with the plugs on the power supply and the size of the pins.

    I need as much help as I can get - and fast as I would like it repaired
    before i start my A-levels.

    Thanks very much

    Tim

    , Aug 24, 2006

  2. why? Guest

    On 24 Aug 2006 11:36:16 -0700, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I've sent my computer to the computer repair shop and they say thats
    >its power supply is brocken and needs replacing. The cost for the power
    >supply needed is about £130.

    It's a bit difficult to tell what currency you mean, as the post from
    you has =A3130 , translated to GBP £130 (pounds sterling).

    <snip>

    >The computer man said that dell power supplies are different from all
    >the other normal ones so I can't just buy a new cheap one - something

    This would explain the box of Dell PSUs the hardware repair guys keep at
    work. Generally the same can be said for any of the big name branded
    boxes, the PSUs aren't interchangable. Dell in the last few years have
    had some silly odd sizes and shapes.

    >to do with the plugs on the power supply and the size of the pins.
    >
    >I need as much help as I can get - and fast as I would like it repaired
    >before i start my A-levels.

    That helps a bit, maybe.

    It would be cheaper to perhaps find a refurbished PSU, but usually it's
    only a 90 day warranty.

    >Thanks very much
    >
    >Tim

    Me

    why?, Aug 24, 2006

  3. Pete Guest

    <> wrote in message
[...]

    RIP OFF ALERT! I wouldn't pay that for something you can buy and replace
    yourself. Any computer shop sells power supplies for around £20 upwards.
    For your computer I would suggest something over 500Watts. Let's hope DELL
    don't use non standard connectors! Have a nose at www.aria.co.uk all you
    need to do is remove the old power supply and plug the new one in to the
    main board.

    Pete, Aug 24, 2006
  4. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've sent my computer to the computer repair shop and they say thats
    > its power supply is brocken and needs replacing. The cost for the power
    > supply needed is about £130.
    >
    > I have some details of the power supply and my computer before i sent
    > it off.
    >
    > Computer:
    >
    > - Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    > - Dell Dimension 5000, Pentium 4 processor with HT technology (3.00GHz,
    >
    > 800fsb, 1MB cache)
    > - Serial ATA 160GB hard drive (7200rpm)
    > - 1024MB DDR400 Dual channel memory (2x512)
    > - 128MB ATI Radeon X300SE video card.
    >

    > Power Supply:
    >
    > Model: N305P-00
    > Input: 100 - 120V / 9.0A
    > 200 - 240V / 4.5V
    > Output: +5V / 22.0A
    > +12VA / 18.0A
    > +12VB / 18.0A blah blah blah...
    >
    > I just need to know if it is possible to replace this without having to
    > spend £130+ and if so where can I get one from.
    >
    > The computer man said that dell power supplies are different from all
    > the other normal ones so I can't just buy a new cheap one - something
    > to do with the plugs on the power supply and the size of the pins.
    >
    > I need as much help as I can get - and fast as I would like it repaired
    > before i start my A-levels.
    >
    > Thanks very much
    >
    > Tim

    $39 (+ international shipping) here:
    http://www.centrix-intl.com/?DirectBuy=unique&productid=1012&source=froogle

    or £52.95 here:
    http://www.itcsales.co.uk/acatalog/Dell_Dimension_Power_Supplies.html

    SgtMinor, Aug 24, 2006
  5. old man Guest

    You should know that most OEM manu use hw designed explicitly for their
    systems and as such many OEM hw will not fit
    So your rip off rant was way off base

    old man, Aug 25, 2006
  6. Rectum Burn Guest

    "Pete" <> said in

    > <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I've sent my computer to the computer repair shop and they say thats
    > its power supply is brocken and needs replacing. The cost for the
    > power supply needed is about £130.
    >
    > I have some details of the power supply and my computer before i sent
    > it off.
    >
    > Computer:
    >
    > - Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
    > - Dell Dimension 5000, Pentium 4 processor with HT technology
    > (3.00GHz,
    >
    > 800fsb, 1MB cache)
    > - Serial ATA 160GB hard drive (7200rpm)
    > - 1024MB DDR400 Dual channel memory (2x512)
    > - 128MB ATI Radeon X300SE video card.
    >

    > Power Supply:
    >
    > Model: N305P-00
    > Input: 100 - 120V / 9.0A
    > 200 - 240V / 4.5V
    > Output: +5V / 22.0A
    > +12VA / 18.0A
    > +12VB / 18.0A blah blah blah...
    >
    > I just need to know if it is possible to replace this without having
    > to spend £130+ and if so where can I get one from.
    >
    > The computer man said that dell power supplies are different from all
    > the other normal ones so I can't just buy a new cheap one - something
    > to do with the plugs on the power supply and the size of the pins.
    >
    > I need as much help as I can get - and fast as I would like it
    > repaired before i start my A-levels.
    >
    > Thanks very much
    >
    > Tim
    >
    > RIP OFF ALERT! I wouldn't pay that for something you can buy and
    > replace yourself. Any computer shop sells power supplies for around
    > £20 upwards. For your computer I would suggest something over
    > 500Watts. Let's hope DELL don't use non standard connectors! Have a
    > nose at www.aria.co.uk all you need to do is remove the old power
    > supply and plug the new one in to the main board.

    Dell uses proprietary PSUs, you goober, so the price for replacement,
    though high, is probably in the old ballpark.

    Rectum Burrrrrrrn

    Rectum Burn, Aug 25, 2006