    When I switch back to the sata hard drive I put it on Auto and it still
    won't detect it.

    Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    Northern Girl, Jan 24, 2005

  2. Northern Girl

    Billh Guest

    Northern Girl wrote:
    > I have a dell dimension 4600i computer. The problem is when i go to
    > boot up the option screen for safe mode, last known good configuration
    > etc. comes up when I attempt to choose any one of those options the
    > system hangs.
    >
    > I thought that maybe the hard drive was failing so I went into the
    > bios, and turned the sata hard drive to off and then install an ide
    > hard drive which contained an operating system on it and turned it on.
    >
    > The bios detected the make, model and size of this hard drive but I
    > still can't access the operating system on it. When I reboot I keep
    > getting the message to F1 Try Reboot OR F2 Setup Utility.
    >
    > When I switch back to the sata hard drive I put it on Auto and it still
    > won't detect it.
    >
    > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    If you ever get the bios to see the STA drive you put back in boot up
    and hit ctrl alt D this will should put you in to a program that will
    check your hard drive. If you fail you know the drive is bad but even
    if it passes it can still be bad. Also you might be able to use the
    boot menu to get to this option,

    Billh, Jan 25, 2005