    any increase in the computer.any suggestions

    thanks
    Chet

    Chet, Oct 15, 2009

  2. Chet

    baron Guest

    Chet Inscribed thus:

    > My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old,
    > it runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg
    > ram, processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking
    > make it noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on
    > board make any increase in the computer.any suggestions
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    If its running Wins, get rid of the virus first. Or run Linux and then
    see how fast it is !

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.

    baron, Oct 15, 2009

  3. Chet

    JD Guest

    Chet wrote:
    > My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
    > runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
    > processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
    > noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
    > any increase in the computer.any suggestions
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    Hi Chet

    you did not mention what the pc is used for, but I assume its just
    surfing the net etc. as it has onboard GFX, I guess its also Window's XP
    Reinstalling the OS (XP) upgrading the ram to 2GB+ (PC3200 DDR) and
    fitting a faster hard drive such as a Samsung Spinpoint 500GB (SATA-II,
    check your motherboard can support SATA-II), would more than likely make
    a noticeable difference.

    if you don't play games or have a huge display then upgrading the GFX
    card wont make much of a difference, apart from freeing up the used
    system memory which is 64mb (you can usually change these setting in the
    BIOS to use more or less ram)

    in the end it all comes down to cash, check the prices of the parts and
    compare it to a cheap pc, I say cheap but for £219 (which would probably
    equate to around the same in USD) I can get a Intel Core Duo 2.6 GHz,
    750Gb HD, 4GB ram, keyboard, mouse etc, no OS but that's still a good buy.

    JD

    JD, Oct 15, 2009
  4. Chet

    gnu / linux Guest

    On Oct 15, 8:38 am, Chet <> wrote:
    > My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
    > runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
    > processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
    > noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
    > any increase in the computer.any suggestions
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    Don't waste money upgrading a 6+ year old Dell

    gnu / linux, Oct 19, 2009
  5. Chet

    Paul Guest

    Chet wrote:
    > My buddy has a Dell Desktop Dimension 4550, it is about 6-7 yrs old, it
    > runs OK, the video card has 64 meg onboard, motherboard ram 1 meg ram,
    > processor is pen 4 at 2.66gh 120gb hd ata 7200rpm, he is looking make it
    > noticeable snappier. would a new video card with 512 meg on board make
    > any increase in the computer.any suggestions
    >
    > thanks
    > Chet

    It has a 250W power supply, with 12V @ 14A in it, so you can't go overboard
    with adding toys to it.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/techov.htm

    There is a spec sheet here.

    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4550/specs.htm

    *******
    Max CPU - P4 3.06GHz/FSB533/512KB L2 Northwood with Hyperthreading.

    This is the spec for the original 2.66GHz processor. Draws 66 watts.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6PE

    Fastest replacement S478 Northwood 3.06GHz. Draws 81 watts. Diff is 15 watts more.
    Does 15% more CPU equal snappy ? Probably not.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL6PG

    If shopping for a different processor, like finding a 3.06 on
    Ebay, be aware there are Xeon processors that can be confused
    with the desktop processor. I've seen Pricewatch stuff, where
    the two processor types were mixed on the same web page.
    *******

    Chipset

    845PE (single channel RAM, two slots). No speedup to speak of, system
    is already at 1GB RAM via 2x512MB.

    AGP 4X. Could fit a different video card. But the pokey 2.66GHz P4
    is going to place some limits on how advanced a game it could run
    in 3D. I had to overclock my P4 a bit, for example, to get smooth
    game play.

    This is an example of a replacement AGP card. This would speed up
    3D games. Read the customer reviews.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=N82E16814131161

    An HD4670 would use the same bridging chip as X1950 Pro. That would
    make that example video card "Universal 1.5V AGP 3.0 Card". 845
    chipset makes the motherboard a "AGP 1.5V Motherboard". The
    "Practical Motherboard And Card Compatibility" table here, says that
    would work.

    http://www.playtool.com/pages/agpcompat/agp.html

    The HD 4670 has a power consumption when flat out in a 3D game,
    of 47.1 watts. Most of that would likely come from the 12V rail,
    so that would be a 12V @ 4A load for the power supply.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/powercolor-pcshd4670-512mb_5.html#sect0

    The approximate load on 12V now would be

    proc + video + HDD + ODD + fans = 12V_loads (with CD spinning in CD tray)

    6.11A + 4A + 0.6A + 1.5A + 0.5A = 12.71A (new video card, old processor)

    That just fits within the 12V rating with not a lot to spare.

    So that is an example of *an* upgrade, but it would only help
    with 3D games, and with 3D games that are not currently CPU limited.
    I had to overclock the processor on my old box, to get rid of
    some stuttering, and a new motherboard with Core2 processor fixed
    that right up.

    I'd reluctantly have to agree, that putting another $100 into a
    video card, is likely a waste of time. Sure, some 3D might go faster,
    but as soon as some bloated game hits that CPU, it'll stutter for
    sure.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 19, 2009