    which cpu's will fit this board.

    many thanks

    mike

    Michael, Sep 24, 2006

  2. Michael

    hounsell Guest

    I Think the intel pendleton its a skt 478 board. The 4500 has had a
    range of processors during its life time, but the most common 478 ones
    are 1.8GHz And 2.0GHz

    hounsell, Sep 24, 2006

  3. Michael

    Flyer Guest

    "Michael" <pel@> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
    > faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
    > motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
    >
    > I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
    > which cpu's will fit this board.

    The Pentium 4 supported in the Dell Dimension 4500 can have a max speed of
    2.8Ghz, according to Dell's support pages.
    Hardly worth the effort of upgrading, if you could find a socket 478 CPU
    these days. And certainly not worth the cost, in my view.

    P.

    Flyer, Sep 24, 2006
  4. Michael

    Evi Guest

    Would the freeware Aida32 give you this info? I don't understand half the
    stuff it told me about my PC but maybe sockets come into that.
    Evi

    Evi, Sep 24, 2006
  5. Michael

    Mike Easter Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
    > faster cpu,

    Why? That is, exactly what kind of 'speed' problem are you trying to
    solve? Some/most problems of perception of performance speed aren't
    related very closely simply to the CPU mhz.

    > can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
    > motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.

    System chip set Intel 845E

    > I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone
    > knows which cpu's will fit this board.

    Discussions of limitations of upgrading take place on Dell forum boards
    http://forums.us.dell.com/supportfo..._upghw&message.id=60047&query.id=18846#M60047
    Dimension 4500 upgrade

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Sep 24, 2006
  6. Michael

    tom Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > Michael wrote:
    > > I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
    > > faster cpu,

    > Why? That is, exactly what kind of 'speed' problem are you trying to
    > solve? Some/most problems of perception of performance speed aren't
    > related very closely simply to the CPU mhz.

    <snip>

    The benefits of a faster cpu with regards to web surfing are frequently akin
    to having a corvette in a traffic jam.

    tom, Sep 24, 2006
  7. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Many thanks for all your input,ill not bother with an 2.8 upgrade your right
    its not worth it.

    thanks again

    michael

    Michael, Sep 24, 2006
  8. Michael

    richard Guest

    "tom" <¶@~.com> wrote in message

    > "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    >> Michael wrote:
    >> > I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
    >> > faster cpu,

    >> Why? That is, exactly what kind of 'speed' problem are you trying to
    >> solve? Some/most problems of perception of performance speed aren't
    >> related very closely simply to the CPU mhz.

    > <snip>
    >
    > The benefits of a faster cpu with regards to web surfing are frequently
    > akin
    > to having a corvette in a traffic jam.

    "Beamers to the right of me, beamers to the left of me, stuck in the middle
    with you."

    Obviously, if one is stuck in a traffic jam, mode of transportation is
    hardly relevant.
    I speced my dell 4300 out to include a 1.7gig clock. Cadillac at the time.
    As for surfing with it, I didn't notice any real upsurge in performance.
    Locally, the cpu speed makes a big difference.

    richard, Sep 24, 2006
  9. Michael

    fkasner Guest

    Michael wrote:
    > Many thanks for all your input,ill not bother with an 2.8 upgrade your right
    > its not worth it.
    >
    > thanks again
    >
    > michael
    >

    > "Michael" <pel@> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> I've got a dell dimension 4500 with a 2.4 cpu, i want to get a
    >> faster cpu,can someone tell me what socket is this system,i believe my
    >> motherboard is an intel pendleton 2.
    >>
    >> I just cannot seem to find out which socket this is,also if anyone knows
    >> which cpu's will fit this board.
    >>
    >> many thanks
    >>
    >> mike

    Most the slowness problems you may be experiencing may be due to too
    little RAM. RAM prices are not cheap these days but it might serve you
    well to increase to 1024 MB.
    FK

    fkasner, Sep 24, 2006