    loose wires, except for two that were capped. Everything seems
    absolutely fine, and yet nothing. Any suggestions on what I could do?

    , Dec 27, 2006

  2. Ingeborg Guest

    wrote:

    > Well, I just got this Dell Dimension from my grandparents, as my family
    > was visiting them, and I was REALLY excited about it, because our
    > computer is crap, and we can't afford a better one, but they were gonna
    > give us a super-amazing one. I finally got it home, from St. Louis,
    > and, lo and behold, dead. Nothing. I plug it in, press the power
    > button, and ABSOLUTELY NOTHING HAPPENS. I have tried three different
    > power cables, and none of them work, though they all powered the
    > monitor just fine. I am at a loss here, simply because I was counting
    > on getting this computer for weeks. I know about the software aspect
    > of computers, not the hardware, so please be descriptive and kind. I
    > followed the Dell manual, opened it, and made sure that the "front
    > panel connector" and the "main power supply" were both connected. No
    > loose wires, except for two that were capped. Everything seems
    > absolutely fine, and yet nothing. Any suggestions on what I could do?

    You should not only press the powerbutton on the front, but also use the
    little switch on the back, near the powercable.

    Ingeborg, Dec 27, 2006

  3. Guest

    What little switch? The only switch there is for the power supply, and
    it is set properly.

    , Dec 27, 2006
  4. Evan Platt Guest

    On 27 Dec 2006 12:44:38 -0800, wrote:

    >What little switch? The only switch there is for the power supply, and
    >it is set properly.

    Who are you talking to? Please quote who / what you are talking to.

    Evan Platt, Dec 27, 2006
  5. Prophet Guest

    Most dells do not come with the power supply on/off switch. So that
    will not be the case.
    If you plugged it into in a old power strip by any chance, unplug it
    from there and try straight into a wall. If it turns on then buy a new
    power strip... Which anyway for anyone else reading this power strips
    do not last more then 2 years, unless you live an area that never
    experiences surges or power outages. The safety function gets blown out
    after 3 good surges/outages in most cases.

    Other then that if it doesn't work plugged straight into the wall
    socket. Then chances are power supply is dead. If you plug in the
    computer and plug in a network cable (will work for onboard nic) or
    open the case with the computer off you should still get a green light
    on the network card or a mobo light, even if the PC doesn't turn on.

    If thats the case and you get an internal light and no boot.
    Possiblities:
    Bad processor, or Incorrectly seated processor

    If no internal lights and no boot. Bad power supply or over all dead
    computer

    Prophet, Dec 27, 2006
  6. Guest

  7. why? Guest

    On 27 Dec 2006 12:44:38 -0800, wrote:

    >What little switch? The only switch there is for the power supply, and
    >it is set properly.

    You mean the Voltage Selector 110/240.

    Documentation and info -

    Find the service tag / enter model info
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...roduct_support_central?c=us&l=en&s=gen&~ck=mn

    leads to product support
    http://support.dell.com/support/top...t/product_support/en/product_support_central?

    leads to
    http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim2400/en/sm_en/advtshoo.htm
    Diagnostic Lights

    To help you troubleshoot a problem, your computer has four lights
    labeled "A," "B," "C," and "D" on the back panel. The lights can be
    yellow or green. When the computer starts normally, the lights flash.
    After the computer starts, all four lights display solid green. If the
    computer malfunctions, the color and sequence of the lights identify the
    problem.

    <snip rest of article>

    Me

    why?, Dec 27, 2006
  8. old man Guest

    You did determin that it was working prior to the move?
    If so its likely something has come loose internally

    old man, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Guest

    Try changing the fuse too.

    , Dec 28, 2006
  10. joevan Guest

    On 27 Dec 2006 12:44:38 -0800, wrote:

    >What little switch? The only switch there is for the power supply, and
    >it is set properly.

    Look again and RTFM.

    joevan, Dec 28, 2006