Dell Dimension 2400 case disassembly

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by eDog, May 18, 2005.

  1. eDog

    eDog Guest

    My girlfriend has a Dell Dimension 2400 and we decided to upgrade the
    system with a DVD burner.

    I was able to get the side panel off the case but after that the system
    became a bit of a chinese puzzle.

    The frame seems to be riveted to the mounting hardware for the original
    drive and it obstructs access to the mounting screws. Giving up on this
    I decided to leave the original CD-Rom drive in the system unit but
    completely unplugged and move the cables to the new drive.

    I then found myself unable to install the new DVD drive into the other
    open drive bay because the front panel blocks prevents the drive from
    being slid in from the front.

    I kind of figured that the front panel is supposed to come off, but I am
    afraid to force it because I might break it.

    Does anyone out there have experience with this model of Dell (Dimension
    2400)?

    We have some Dells at work, but they don't present nearly as many
    obstacles. They have obvious (and not so obvious) levers all over the
    place that make installing new hardware a literal snap.

    But not this puppy.

    I searched the Dell site but could not find any specific help for the
    system case.
    eDog, May 18, 2005

  2. eDog

    me Guest

    I can tell you how most HP, Gateway and Compaqs come apart. Figured it out
    after some puzzling over it myself. If you look inside the case toward the
    drive bays on the front inside, you will see little tabs of sorts that look
    like they would let you push them out and the case front slides off. This
    is how HP, gateway and compaqs--at least the ones I have seen--come apart.

    hope that helps
    me, May 18, 2005

  3. eDog

    Chris Evans Guest

    I have worked on a couple of Dells (though not 2400s) that have a metal
    horizontal tab near the drive bays. If you push down on the tab you will be
    able to slide the whole drive bay assembly out along a curved slot on the
    top and a pin that pivots on the bottom. Took me a while to figure this one
    out, so I'm hoping this is the same setup you have. Hope this helps.

    Chris
    A+, Net+

    Chris Evans, May 19, 2005
  4. eDog

    eDog Guest

    You've all been very helpful, particularly in providing the link to the
    system manual that I was unable to locate online.

    eDog, May 19, 2005
  5. eDog

    A Guest

    You need your Dell PC tag ID to search their site (in the UK). Squeeze out
    the front panel of the optical drive bay from the inside. (Ask your IT
    manager to show you a front panel.) Are you using anti-static protection???

    PS. Where do you go to replace failed Dell RAM?

    A, May 27, 2005