    A good buy, or not?
    Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
    deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

    Nick Withers, Feb 6, 2005

  2. Nick Withers wrote:
    > Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

    yep.

    > Are they upgradeable?

    you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
    I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
    they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.

    > A good buy, or not?

    for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
    bad"

    > Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
    > deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

    It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005

  3. "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > Nick Withers wrote:
    > > Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

    > yep.
    >
    > > Are they upgradeable?

    > you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
    > I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
    > they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.
    >
    > > A good buy, or not?

    > for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
    > bad"
    >
    > > Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
    > > deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

    > It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

    further to that. Is this model only available for The Warehouse ? Will it be
    more expensive if you go directly to Dell for the same specs?

    cheers

    Baranggay Ginebra, Feb 6, 2005
  4. Baranggay Ginebra wrote:
    > further to that. Is this model only available for The Warehouse ? Will it be
    > more expensive if you go directly to Dell for the same specs?

    same model is slightly better spec'd(faster processor, and 512MB ram)
    when buying from Dell, and slightly more expensive($100 I think it was
    last time I checked).

    I assume that they are the end of line models that they want to get rid of.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 6, 2005
  5. Nick Withers

    xlo Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Nick Withers wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

    > yep.
    >
    >> Are they upgradeable?

    > you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
    > I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
    > they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.
    >
    >> A good buy, or not?

    > for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
    > bad"
    >
    >> Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a
    >> better deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

    > It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

    I have dealt with Global PC a few times, and have found them good to
    deal with, good and fast on a warranty support issue (not their fault
    when a CPU died), and if you want to look a bit closer about what your
    friend might need on the PC that he is considering, then you can discuss
    options with them to get what you want at a fair price, not just take
    what is offered.

    xlo, Feb 6, 2005
  6. Nick Withers

    Matthias Guest

    Nick Withers wrote:

    > Are they upgradeable?

    You might as well just buy a new $999 computer after a couple of years...

    -- Matthias

    Matthias, Feb 6, 2005
  7. Nick Withers

    Nick Withers Guest

    Thanks, I think Global would have the better deal.

    I have to upgrade my hard drive and their prices seem reasonable. My
    backup H/D has failed and Global tested it for me for free.

    Nick Withers, Feb 7, 2005
  8. Nick Withers

    Daniel Guest

    Nick Withers wrote:
    > A friend of mine is thinking of buying a Dell $999 computer from the
    > Warehouse.
    > Has anyone had any experience of one of these?
    > Are they upgradeable?
    > A good buy, or not?
    > Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
    > deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

    Considered the DSE Scoop 2200?

    Daniel, Feb 7, 2005
  9. Nick Withers

    Tim Guest

    Ditto. I go to GPC for spares sometimes.

    Given the choice of a Dell @ $999 or GPC @ $100 more, without doubt GPC. The
    Dell may be OK, but you never know when you will hit a brick wall -
    something in the bios doesn't work, something else is non standard (PSU's
    were non standard for a while)....

    Tim, Feb 7, 2005
  10. Nick Withers

    Jerry Guest

    but who in their right mind would take the advice of a top poster?

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 7, 2005
  11. Nick Withers

    Jerry Guest

    Jerry wrote:
    > but who in their right mind would take the advice of a top poster?
    >
    > Jerry
    >
    > Tim wrote:
    >
    >> Ditto. I go to GPC for spares sometimes.
    >>
    >> Given the choice of a Dell @ $999 or GPC @ $100 more, without doubt
    >> GPC. The Dell may be OK, but you never know when you will hit a brick
    >> wall - something in the bios doesn't work, something else is non
    >> standard (PSU's were non standard for a while)....

    Crap, had too many beers watching the super bowl and top posted, never
    fails huh?

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 7, 2005
  12. Nick Withers

    madmacca Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 11:47:32 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote:
    > Nick Withers wrote:
    > > Has anyone had any experience of one of these?

    > yep.
    >
    > > Are they upgradeable?

    > you can add ram, and I think they have a spare bay for another Hdd, but
    > I dont think that they provide the rails that they slide in on, so
    > they'd have to be purchased seperatly... no idea on the cost.
    >
    > > A good buy, or not?

    > for what they are, you can do better, but for mah and pah, "it's not too
    > bad"
    >
    > > Global PCs is selling a system for $1079 which I think would be a better
    > > deal, at least if he has any problems he can go to their shop!

    > It is probably a lot better, and if it breaks, it should be easier to fix.

    Got 2 of the $699 units from PB Technologies - quite happy so far - added 256 ram for $95 and 17'
    Monitors from QMB for 150 each. Okay for the outlay. P4 28mhz, 256 300ddr ram, 4xDVD Writer, onboard
    graphics/sound bit shitty had both on hand so it solved that problem..
    macca

    madmacca, Feb 7, 2005
  13. Nick Withers

    James West Guest

    Packard bell with LCD flat panel for $999 at Noel Leeming

    James West, Feb 8, 2005
  14. Nick Withers

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 21:08:26 -0800, "James West" <> wrote:

    >Packard bell with LCD flat panel for $999 at Noel Leeming

    I'd take the Dell over a Packard Bell anytime.

    Craig Shore, Feb 8, 2005
  15. Craig Shore wrote:
    >>Packard bell with LCD flat panel for $999 at Noel Leeming

    > I'd take the Dell over a Packard Bell anytime.

    ditto that for me.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 8, 2005
  16. Nick Withers

    Ross Dawson Guest

    On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 19:32:12 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Craig Shore wrote:
    >>>Packard bell with LCD flat panel for $999 at Noel Leeming

    >> I'd take the Dell over a Packard Bell anytime.

    >ditto that for me.

    Me to after having had several bad experiences whilst dealing with
    them.

    --
    Cheers for now

    Ross Dawson.

    Ross Dawson, Feb 8, 2005
  17. Nick Withers

    mark Guest

    "James West" <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: Dell computers
    > From: "James West" <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > you have not seen the Dell then?
    >
    > CRT
    > NO AGP Slot..........etc

    I think I'd keep the LCD display, and push the Packard Bell computer into
    the ocean. Yep, that's how good I've found them too :)

    mark, Feb 9, 2005
  18. Nick Withers

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:20:09 +0000, mark wrote:

    > I think I'd keep the LCD display, and push the Packard Bell computer into
    > the ocean. Yep, that's how good I've found them too :)

    What did the ocean do to deserve that?

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 9, 2005
  19. Nick Withers

    James West Guest

    James West, Feb 9, 2005
  20. Nick Withers

    mark Guest

    "AD." <> wrote in

    > Subject: Re: Dell computers
    > From: "AD." <>
    > Newsgroups: nz.comp
    >
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 00:20:09 +0000, mark wrote:
    >
    >> I think I'd keep the LCD display, and push the Packard Bell computer
    >> into the ocean. Yep, that's how good I've found them too :)

    > What did the ocean do to deserve that?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers
    > Anton

    We already flush our crap into the ocean, hows that different from pushing
    in a Packard Bell? :)

    mark, Feb 10, 2005