    used rebuilt machine.
    Is Dell selling all machines twice? Three times? Is this common
    practice with all manufacturers?

    Earleneann, Aug 27, 2005

  2. Earleneann

    birdman Guest

    Uh, since day one.
    Any replacement part you get under warranty may be new or may be
    refurbished.
    System replacements are almost always refurbished models.
    I do not buy Dell anymore but a few years ago when I did and had a total dud
    they acutally sent me a "refurbished" machine that had a faster CPU than in
    the original computer.
    I would not count on this happening again.
    Theoretically, and usually but not always, a refurbished part/computer has
    been verified to work properly.
    Alas there are real horror stories out there.
    However, people do tend to exaggerate.
    I have bought "refurbished" printers and scanners at bargain basement prices
    and they have functioned flawlessy, but they were high end models to begin
    with.

    birdman, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Earleneann

    Plato Guest

    Earleneann wrote:

    > Fair warning to those that need to have a new Dell notebook replaced
    > due to hardware problems. I learned this week when having problems
    > with my replacement machine that after twenty-one days of owning your
    > new (first) machine .... even if it is warranted .... you are sent a
    > used rebuilt machine.

    I'm not saying if its right or wrong to do so, but they do it that way
    [instead of fixing your laptop] so get you a working computer asap. On
    the other hand, you'd think that after spending all that money on a
    computer that doesnt work, you should get a new one.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Aug 28, 2005
  4. Earleneann

    JANA Guest

    This is a common practice with most all the manufactures today. If you very
    carefully read their warranty policy, they tell you that when there is a
    warranty exchange program in effect, they will send a rebuilt or repaired
    device.

    Your old one will go in to the cycle and someone else may eventually get it,
    or its good parts may be recycled. They are not allowed to send you a lesser
    product than what you sent out in the first place. I have heard of people
    getting back models that were actually a bit upgraded from the one that they
    sent out, because their model was starting to be older. Sometimes only a few
    weeks or even a few days can make a difference in this industry.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Aug 29, 2005