    When the f*** did they start charging sales tax? No way I'm buying from
    them now. Shipping AND tax? What's the point? I can go to bestbuy and get
    a good computer for the same price and save on shipping.

    I am I, Jan 8, 2006

  2. I am I

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "I am I" <> wrote in
    news:Sk_vf.3074$:

    > I've ordered 2 dell computers. I went online to research buying a
    > third. When the f*** did they start charging sales tax? No way I'm
    > buying from them now. Shipping AND tax? What's the point? I can go
    > to bestbuy and get a good computer for the same price and save on
    > shipping.

    Dell is a US company. As such, they are required to collect sales tax in
    any state that they have a business presence in.

    I used to buy from Newegg tax free. They purchased a distribution
    warehouse in North Jersey, and I am now charged 6% sales tax on my
    purchases.

    If you want to hate Dell for their business practices, advertising,
    anything, fine, but don't blame them for following the law.

    Jim Berwick, Jan 8, 2006

  3. I am I

    ' Guest

    ', Jan 8, 2006
  4. I am I

    Steve Guest

    ' ' wrote:
    > I woudlnt worry guys becuase in the UK our sales tax is a lot more
    > (17.5%), So get used to paying the small amount, id be happy paying 6%
    > lol.

    My first computer was a Fujitsu-Siemens 166MX and cost £880 in 1997.
    My second computer was an Acer 2.4Athlon and cost £399 in 2002.
    My third computer was a Dell 2.66Intel and cost £276 in 2005.

    Surely,tax is almost irrelevant when you consider how the overall cost
    of technology has plummetted in 8years.Just a thought!!

    Steve, Jan 8, 2006
  5. I am I

    I am I Guest

    My point was that Dell used to not charge sales tax (I live in NYS). They
    must have opened a store here that they didn't have the last time I bought a
    computer from them 3 years ago. I can say for certain that I never paid
    sales tax the last time!

    I am I, Jan 8, 2006
  6. I am I

    nos1eep Guest

    It is further alleged that on or about Sun, 08 Jan 2006 14:27:38 GMT,
    in alt.computer, the queezy keyboard of "I am I"
    <> spewed the following:

    |My point was that Dell used to not charge sales tax (I live in NYS). They
    |must have opened a store here that they didn't have the last time I bought a
    |computer from them 3 years ago. I can say for certain that I never paid
    |sales tax the last time!

    Things change. My state has passed a law that states "Sales tax is due
    on all online purchases." It is unenforcable, but the government will
    find a way.

    --

    -nos1eep

    http://www.justfuckinggoogleit.com/

    nos1eep, Jan 8, 2006
  7. I am I

    ' Guest

    Steve Wrote:
    > ' ' wrote
    > My first computer was a Fujitsu-Siemens 166MX and cost £880 in 1997
    > My second computer was an Acer 2.4Athlon and cost £399 in 2002
    > My third computer was a Dell 2.66Intel and cost £276 in 2005
    >
    > Surely,tax is almost irrelevant when you consider how the overall cos
    > of technology has plummetted in 8years.Just a thought!

    No I agree, my first pc was about the same spec and age and mine wa
    over £900
    Ive had a few pcs over years

    --
    Bil

    *Kind Regards
    *Bill

    *www.ukwebmasterforums.com
    Bill's Profile: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/member.php?userid=
    View this thread: http://www.ukwebmasterforums.com/showthread.php?t=572

    ', Jan 8, 2006
  8. I am I

    Plato Guest

    Jim Berwick wrote:

    > I used to buy from Newegg tax free. They purchased a distribution
    > warehouse in North Jersey, and I am now charged 6% sales tax on my
    > purchases.

    That shipping warehouse is in Edison New Jersey. They are moving to way
    larger one in South Brunswick or Monroe.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jan 9, 2006