Dell Certified Systems Expert - any benefit??

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Kevin G., Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Kevin G.

    Kevin G. Guest

    (sorry for posting in the wrong group, but not many groups out there
    dedicated to PC tech certifications)

    Hello all,

    I run a small computer repair business, and I've been looking into some
    options for some brand certifications such as Dell or Compaq. The sole
    reason for doing this is just to drum up some more business, as I
    really don't need the "training" Dell provides to get this
    certification.

    Some years back a shop I worked for was Compaq certified, and Compaq
    would send us a good amount of local warranty repairs (and Compaq would
    pay the shop to perform the warranty work). So it was worth it simply
    for the built-in business this certification provided.

    However, after looking through Dell's website (
    http://dcse.dell.com/index.asp ) on the Dell Certified Systems Expert
    certificate, it doesn't appear that's there's any business benefit
    (meaning, they don't send you any warranty repair customers in your
    area). It seems that having this certificate is only so that you can
    market your shop as being "Dell Certified", which I'm sure might bring
    some level of business in itself.

    If anyone can provide any additional information on this, it would be
    greatly appreciated!

    Kevin G., Dec 23, 2005

  2. Kevin G.

    Glenn Guest

    Dell has several Certificates. Laptop, desktop, server, etc.
    They might impress people as wallpaper.
    I am "Dell Certified". It didn't impess anyone, but it was free.

    Glenn, Dec 23, 2005

  3. Kevin G.

    CG101 Guest

    This was taken from their FAQ
    Q. How can I do service work for Dell?

    A. All warranty repair arrangements are made through Dell Technical Support
    and supported by Dell Service Providers. We use six Global Service Partners
    to service our Customers. We do not offer a warranty repair program for
    individuals, Service Providers or for Depot centers. We do not offer a
    product service-contracting program nor are we seeking field-based service
    technicians to support Dell systems.

    http://dcse.dell.com/faq.asp#q10

    I am of the opinion that it might be a meaningless cert as well. However I
    believe HP's hardware cert is more or less the type of cert you are looking
    for if you wanna be an ASP. Dell's is more for being pretty......

    --
    Cruz
    CompTIA A+ Certified, CompTIA Network+ Certified

    CG101, Dec 27, 2005