    Martik Guest

    I have a C600 without a hd or caddy. Can I install a new hd without the
    caddy? The caddy only holds the hd in place so I could fabricate something?
    Martik, Sep 26, 2005

  2. Martik

    Yddap Guest

    "Martik" <> wrote in message
    news:9_ZZe.275721$tt5.155234@edtnps90...
    >I have a C600 without a hd or caddy. Can I install a new hd without the
    > caddy? The caddy only holds the hd in place so I could fabricate
    > something?

    You will also need an adaptor for the standard connection pins on a 2.5 in
    HDD
    --

    Yddap
    Remove guts to reply
    Yddap, Sep 27, 2005

  3. Martik

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > I have a C600 without a hd or caddy. Can I install a new hd without
    > the caddy? The caddy only holds the hd in place so I could fabricate
    > something?

    Not likely, if you want the drive to remain securely in place. Have you
    checked eBay? Those kinds of things how up there frequently. I've bought and
    sold them there myself.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 27, 2005
  4. Martik

    Martik Guest

    "Yddap" <> wrote in message

    > "Martik" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a C600 without a hd or caddy. Can I install a new hd without the
    >> caddy? The caddy only holds the hd in place so I could fabricate
    >> something?
    >>

    > You will also need an adaptor for the standard connection pins on a 2.5 in
    > HDD

    Is that a 'standard' adaptor or DELL only part?

    Martik, Sep 27, 2005
  5. Martik

    John Riggs Guest

    Sadly, you'd be better off to order the caddy from Dell. call customer
    support to inquire how to acquire one. Not doing so would not be
    recommended, having worked on quite a number of them, you need to have the
    drive properly secured or risk damage.

    John Riggs, Sep 27, 2005
  6. Martik

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "Yddap" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Martik" <> wrote in message
    >>> I have a C600 without a hd or caddy. Can I install a new hd without
    >>> the caddy? The caddy only holds the hd in place so I could fabricate
    >>> something?
    >>>

    >> You will also need an adaptor for the standard connection pins on a
    >> 2.5 in HDD

    > Is that a 'standard' adaptor or DELL only part?

    That is a Dell part. I've not seen them used in Gateway or Sony laptops.
    Maybe someone else does though.

    Dell laptop boards use a cardslot type connector rather than the pin headers
    most drives use. So they have an adapter.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 28, 2005
  7. Martik

    Martik Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > Martik wrote:
    >> "Yddap" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Martik" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> You will also need an adaptor for the standard connection pins on a
    >>> 2.5 in HDD

    >> Is that a 'standard' adaptor or DELL only part?
    >>

    > That is a Dell part. I've not seen them used in Gateway or Sony laptops.
    > Maybe someone else does though.
    >
    > Dell laptop boards use a cardslot type connector rather than the pin
    > headers most drives use. So they have an adapter.

    Thanks, I purchased a HD including the caddy from ebay.
    Martik, Sep 28, 2005
  8. Martik

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Martik wrote:
    >>> "Yddap" <> wrote in message

    >>> Is that a 'standard' adaptor or DELL only part?
    >>>

    >> That is a Dell part. I've not seen them used in Gateway or Sony
    >> laptops. Maybe someone else does though.
    >>
    >> Dell laptop boards use a cardslot type connector rather than the pin
    >> headers most drives use. So they have an adapter.

    > Thanks, I purchased a HD including the caddy from ebay.

    Cool - that should take care of it. I know when I sell my Dell parts I
    include the adapter with the caddy and drive.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 28, 2005
  9. Martik

    > Martik wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> That is a Dell part. I've not seen them used in Gateway or Sony
    >>> laptops. Maybe someone else does though.
    >>>
    >>> Dell laptop boards use a cardslot type connector rather than the pin
    >>> headers most drives use. So they have an adapter.

    >> Thanks, I purchased a HD including the caddy from ebay.

    > Cool - that should take care of it. I know when I sell my Dell parts I
    > include the adapter with the caddy and drive.

    Do you happen to know if the C600 battery packs on ebay are any good? His
    feedback seems to indicate they are.

    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6804970457&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:CA:1
    Martik, Sep 28, 2005
  10. Martik

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Martik wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> Martik wrote:
    >>> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    >>> Thanks, I purchased a HD including the caddy from ebay.

    >> Cool - that should take care of it. I know when I sell my Dell parts
    >> I include the adapter with the caddy and drive.

    > Do you happen to know if the C600 battery packs on ebay are any good?
    > His feedback seems to indicate they are.
    >
    > http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6804970457&sspagename=ADME:B:AAQ:CA:1

    Dunno - he says they are new, and there's a 30 day guarantee. I didn't read
    the fine print, but you should go over it closely. And of course, compare
    pricing+shipping with others selling new batteries. I wouldn't recommend
    used ones. Also, it might be a good idea to do some research: on my Inspiron
    7500 I sold recently, the batteries came in THREE capacities - 3000mah,
    4500mah and 5400mah. Obviously, the bigger, the better.

    Toolman Tim, Sep 29, 2005