Dell boot failure at USB checkpoint

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rustiferion, Aug 8, 2005.

  1. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    When I boot up my Dell Dimension, it goes past the Dell splash screen okay,
    but then returns a black (DOS) screen with a blinking cursor, nothing else.
    Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring back the Dell screen, but when the little blue
    lights reach the end of the bar, I get the black screen again. 3 or 4
    repitions of this, and I get a DOS message that says the boot process has
    repeatedly failed at checkpoint [USBd] and I should notify Dell Tech support
    (that's a joke, right?) If I leave the screen alone, after maybe 6 or 7
    minutes, it drops and I get the Windows XP progress screen, and bootup
    continues normally. Problem is, my USB external drive doesn't initialize.
    Device manager shows all the other USB components are okay, but the ext
    drive "Failed to Start (Code 10)" Attempts to reload the driver from
    factory disk fails because "driver already exists"

    Additionally, attempts to boot into Safe Mode are ignored. F8 (Win) and F12
    (Dell) simply return a "keyboard error" notice in DOS.

    Any ideas on where I should start on this? Is this a board failure (and I
    should buy a plug-in USB card)? Or is this strictly a software issue? When
    I reformatted about a year ago, there were some issues with installing the
    USB driver, but at the end of the day, the ext drive was working fine.

    ~RL

    WinXP Home SP2
    Dell Dimension 4550 (c. 2001)
    AcomData 80G ext drive USB 2.0
    Rustiferion, Aug 8, 2005

  2. Rustiferion

    old jon Guest

    "Rustiferion" <> wrote in message
    > When I boot up my Dell Dimension, it goes past the Dell splash screen
    > okay, but then returns a black (DOS) screen with a blinking cursor,
    > nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring back the Dell screen, but when the
    > little blue lights reach the end of the bar, I get the black screen again.
    > 3 or 4 repitions of this, and I get a DOS message that says the boot
    > process has repeatedly failed at checkpoint [USBd] and I should notify
    > Dell Tech support (that's a joke, right?) If I leave the screen alone,
    > after maybe 6 or 7 minutes, it drops and I get the Windows XP progress
    > screen, and bootup continues normally. Problem is, my USB external drive
    > doesn't initialize. Device manager shows all the other USB components are
    > okay, but the ext drive "Failed to Start (Code 10)" Attempts to reload
    > the driver from factory disk fails because "driver already exists"
    >
    > Additionally, attempts to boot into Safe Mode are ignored. F8 (Win) and
    > F12 (Dell) simply return a "keyboard error" notice in DOS.
    >
    > Any ideas on where I should start on this? Is this a board failure (and I
    > should buy a plug-in USB card)? Or is this strictly a software issue?
    > When I reformatted about a year ago, there were some issues with
    > installing the USB driver, but at the end of the day, the ext drive was
    > working fine.
    >
    > ~RL
    >
    > WinXP Home SP2
    > Dell Dimension 4550 (c. 2001)
    > AcomData 80G ext drive USB 2.0

    Check your Event viewer for errors\warnings to give you a clue. Try
    unplugging the Ext drive as a test. Sounds like USB driver trouble.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Aug 8, 2005

  3. Rustiferion

    Guest

    "Rustiferion" <> wrote:

    |>When I boot up my Dell Dimension, it goes past the Dell splash screen okay,
    |>but then returns a black (DOS) screen with a blinking cursor, nothing else.
    |>Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring back the Dell screen, but when the little blue
    |>lights reach the end of the bar, I get the black screen again. 3 or 4
    |>repitions of this, and I get a DOS message that says the boot process has
    |>repeatedly failed at checkpoint [USBd] and I should notify Dell Tech support
    |>(that's a joke, right?) If I leave the screen alone, after maybe 6 or 7
    |>minutes, it drops and I get the Windows XP progress screen, and bootup
    |>continues normally. Problem is, my USB external drive doesn't initialize.
    |>Device manager shows all the other USB components are okay, but the ext
    |>drive "Failed to Start (Code 10)" Attempts to reload the driver from
    |>factory disk fails because "driver already exists"

    I've been reading microsoft.public.windowsxp.general lately and that
    group claims XP isn't made to run off of an external (USB) drive.

    From what I understand your lucky it's even booting.

    --
    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf
    , Aug 9, 2005
  4. "Rustiferion" <> wrote in

    > When I boot up my Dell Dimension, it goes past the Dell splash
    > screen okay, but then returns a black (DOS) screen with a blinking
    > cursor, nothing else. Ctrl-Alt-Del will bring back the Dell
    > screen, but when the little blue lights reach the end of the bar,
    > I get the black screen again. 3 or 4 repitions of this, and I get
    > a DOS message that says the boot process has repeatedly failed at
    > checkpoint [USBd] and I should notify Dell Tech support (that's a
    > joke, right?) If I leave the screen alone, after maybe 6 or 7
    > minutes, it drops and I get the Windows XP progress screen, and
    > bootup continues normally. Problem is, my USB external drive
    > doesn't initialize. Device manager shows all the other USB
    > components are okay, but the ext drive "Failed to Start (Code 10)"
    > Attempts to reload the driver from factory disk fails because
    > "driver already exists"
    >
    > Additionally, attempts to boot into Safe Mode are ignored. F8
    > (Win) and F12 (Dell) simply return a "keyboard error" notice in
    > DOS.
    >
    > Any ideas on where I should start on this? Is this a board
    > failure (and I should buy a plug-in USB card)? Or is this
    > strictly a software issue? When I reformatted about a year ago,
    > there were some issues with installing the USB driver, but at the
    > end of the day, the ext drive was working fine.
    >
    > ~RL
    >
    > WinXP Home SP2
    > Dell Dimension 4550 (c. 2001)
    > AcomData 80G ext drive USB 2.0

    I have the same Dell, Dimension 4550, from about 2001 or 2002. If you
    have a printer connected by USB turn it off. I have to remember to
    turn my HP printer off if I start or restart the PC. Not a big deal
    to me so I ignore it and use my other printer most of the time.

    Ed

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Aug 9, 2005
  5. Rustiferion

    Rustiferion Guest

    "Top (retired)" <> wrote in message
    > "Rustiferion" <> wrote in
    >
    > I have the same Dell, Dimension 4550, from about 2001 or 2002. If you
    > have a printer connected by USB turn it off. I have to remember to
    > turn my HP printer off if I start or restart the PC. Not a big deal
    > to me so I ignore it and use my other printer most of the time.
    >
    > Ed
    >
    > --
    > Freedom is never free....

    Thank you, Ed and Jon,

    I will try that on the next boot, but *used* to be able to see the ext drive
    w/o turning anything else off. Presently USB connects a Dell printer, the
    keyboard, a Wacom tablet, an Epson scanner, and the 80G drive. The drive is
    the only device that doesn't read.

    The error message points to [USBd] so I presume that the "d" means it's the
    fourth USB driver being loaded... maybe? AcomData, confoundingly, does not
    have any downloadable WinXP drivers (Win95, Win98 yes, but... go figure).
    Windows Automatic Driver Search reports that I already have the most current
    driver.

    Anybody know what (Code 10) means to Windows?

    ~RL
    Rustiferion, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Rustiferion

    fju2112

    Joined:
    May 30, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    same issue

    Hi - I'm having the same problem. Dell 4550, purchasedin early 2003.

    I have the same problem except the checkpoints are either "Poke" or "Krst".

    The machine will suddenly shut down without warning, as if power was cut to it, but the amber light on the power button will remain lit. After several attempts at pressing the power button (or the system will go through the motions itself if I leave it alone), it will eventually give me that checkpoint error after a few beeps and allow windows to start.

    It is now an 8 year old plus machine so I'm wondering if it has to do w/ the power supply? Anyone have any ideas what those two checkpoints refer to? I do have a USB printer but I've unplugged it and same error.

    Thanks!
    fju2112, May 30, 2011