Dell behaving oddly

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by RipperT, Feb 27, 2009.

  1. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    I have an old Dell inspiron with XP Pro that my daughter has been using for
    some time connected wirelessly to my network via a Belkin wireless router.
    Suddenly one day the laptop won't connect my network. I've tried many things
    with little success, but here is what it is doing now. After a restart, it
    connects automatically and the balloon popup says the signal strength is
    excellent. When I open IE, it times out with "Internet Explorer cannot
    display the web page". A little red x appears over the network icon in the
    tray and IE quits working. A balloon pops up in the tray saying windows
    cannot connect to the network and to click here to fix the problem.
    Sometimes it can't find any wireless networks, sometimes it can find my
    network. I can connect manually or, I've found if I just wait, it will
    reconnect on it's own. It remains connected with excellent signal strength
    for about 1 minute, then the red x and balloon pop up again. I was able to
    ping www.google.com once before it disconnected, but it is stuck in this
    cycle of connecting and disconnecting on it's own. I uninstalled Zone Alarm
    and behavior is the same. I have all the latest XP updates incl. SP3 and I
    have the latest driver for the adapter. I've recycled the power on the modem
    and router, still no change. Below is the log file from the windows network
    connectivity diagnostic utility. Also, the DHCP client list on the router
    page shows the same laptop twice with two different IP addresses and two
    different MAC addresses. What gives? Thanx.

    Rip

    Last diagnostic run time: 02/27/09 17:28:01 Gateway Diagnostic
    Gateway

    info The following proxy configuration is being used by IE: Automatically
    Detect Settings:Enabled Automatic Configuration Script: Proxy Server: Proxy
    Bypass list:
    info Could not get proxy settings via the Automatic Proxy Configuration
    mechanism
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 192.168.2.1
    info This computer has the following IP address(es): 192.168.2.5
    info The default gateway is in the same subnet as this computer
    info The default gateway entry is a valid unicast address
    warn The default gateway address could not be resolved via ARP
    action Automated repair: Renew IP address
    action Releasing the current IP address...
    action Successfully released the current IP address
    action Renewing the IP address...
    error Error renewing the IP address: The DHCP client has obtained an IP
    address that is already in use on the network. The local interface will be
    disabled until the DHCP client can obtain a new address.
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
    warn There is no default gateway entry
    action Automated repair: Reset network connection
    action Disabling the network adapter
    action Enabling the network adapter
    info Network adapter successfully enabled
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
    warn There is no default gateway entry
    action Manual repair: Reboot modem
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
    warn There is no default gateway entry
    info Waiting some time for the modem/router to stabilize
    action Automated repair: Renew IP address
    action Releasing the current IP address...
    action Successfully released the current IP address
    action Renewing the IP address...
    error Error renewing the IP address: The semaphore timeout period has
    expired.
    info This computer has the following default gateway entry(ies): 0.0.0.0
    warn There is no default gateway entry
    info Redirecting user to support call

    IP Layer Diagnostic
    Corrupted IP routing table

    info The default route is valid
    info The loopback route is valid
    info The local host route is valid
    info The local subnet route is valid
    Invalid ARP cache entries

    action The ARP cache has been flushed

    IP Configuration Diagnostic
    Invalid IP address

    info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.5

    Wireless Diagnostic
    Wireless - Service disabled

    Wireless - User SSID

    action User input required: Specify network name or SSID
    Wireless - First time setup

    info The Wireless Network name (SSID) to which the user would like to
    connect = Smith Family Network.
    Wireless - Radio off

    info Valid IP address detected: 192.168.2.5
    Wireless - Out of range

    Wireless - Hardware issue

    Wireless - Novice user

    Wireless - Ad-hoc network

    Wireless - Less preferred

    Wireless - 802.1x enabled

    Wireless - Configuration mismatch

    Wireless - Low SNR

    WinSock Diagnostic
    WinSock status

    info All base service provider entries are present in the Winsock catalog.
    info The Winsock Service provider chains are valid.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] passed the loopback communication
    test.
    info Provider entry MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP] passed the loopback communication
    test.
    info Provider entry RSVP UDP Service Provider passed the loopback
    communication test.
    info Provider entry RSVP TCP Service Provider passed the loopback
    communication test.
    info Connectivity is valid for all Winsock service providers.

    Network Adapter Diagnostic
    Network location detection

    info Using home Internet connection
    Network adapter identification

    info Network connection: Name=Local Area Connection, Device=3Com 3C920
    Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible), MediaType=LAN,
    SubMediaType=LAN
    info Network connection: Name=Wireless Network Connection 2, Device=Dell
    TrueMobile 1150 Series Mini PCI Card, MediaType=LAN, SubMediaType=WIRELESS
    info Both Ethernet and Wireless connections available, prompting user for
    selection
    action User input required: Select network connection
    info Wireless connection selected
    Network adapter status

    info Network connection status: Connected

    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP Diagnostic
    HTTP, HTTPS, FTP connectivity

    warn HTTP: Error 12007 connecting to www.microsoft.com: The server name or
    address could not be resolved
    warn FTP (Passive): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A
    connection with the server could not be established
    warn FTP (Active): Error 12029 connecting to ftp.microsoft.com: A connection
    with the server could not be established
    warn HTTP: Error 12031 connecting to www.hotmail.com: The connection with
    the server was reset
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.microsoft.com: A connection with
    the server could not be established
    warn HTTPS: Error 12029 connecting to www.passport.net: A connection with
    the server could not be established
    error Could not make an HTTP connection.
    error Could not make an HTTPS connection.
    error Could not make an FTP connection.

    RipperT, Feb 27, 2009

  2. Hi
    Since trouble starts when you start IE try to repair the Winsock.
    Follow this process, http://www.ezlan.net/clean.html#refreshnet
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 28, 2009

  3. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    I ran the winsock fix and there's no change. Actually, I can manually
    connect by entering the passphrase and clicking connect, and it shows
    connected with excellent strength for a few minutes (although only one of
    the five green bars is lit up), but then it disconnects on it's own without
    any help from IE. It behaves as though it's on the edge of it's range, but
    it's right on top of the router. I'm thinking the adapter is shot, but I'm
    not sure what else to check.

    Rip

    RipperT, Mar 1, 2009
  4. Hi
    It can be the Router, or the Laptop Wireless card. In order to determine
    which you have to do few manipulations.
    Like taking the laptop elsewhere and see it is works well there, or bringing
    in a friend's Laptop that is known to be good and see of it works well with
    your Router.

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Mar 1, 2009
  5. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    I have two other laptops, 1 Vista & 1 XP Pro connected that aren't
    experiencing any trouble. Anything else I could check?

    Thanks,

    Rip

    RipperT, Mar 1, 2009
  6. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    I stole a Broadcom NIC card out of an old HP Pavilion laptop that was
    otherwise dead and installed it, downloaded and installed a Dell driver and
    voila! All is well!
    Thanks again.
    Rip

    RipperT, Mar 1, 2009
  7. RipperT

    Jazzkitty Guest

    Did you keep the network card from the hp in the Dell? Just need to know if I
    need to replace the network card all together or if you were able to get the
    old card to work after the driver download. My daughter's Inspiron has the
    same problem now that we've changed to Verizon fios. Thank you much :)

    Jazzkitty, May 7, 2009