    difficult to tell.
    Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    recalled?

    Vista, Aug 19, 2006

  2. Vista

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:35:01 +1200, "Vista" <>
    exclaimed:

    >I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook purchased within the Dell battery
    >recall period. However when I went to the 'battery cheack website' at
    >https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx and entered my battery
    >number, it said that the recall didn't apply to my battery. This is despite
    >the fact that on the Dell website is says 'Dell is voluntarily recalling
    >certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering
    >free replacements for these batteries.' I have checked mine and it is
    >manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this badly, but I
    >would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered Dell batteries
    >were being recalled, although because they havn't used a coma it is
    >difficult to tell.
    >Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    >recalled?

    I'd imagine Dell are (rightly or wrongly) placing the blame of Sony.

    I would find it very hard to believe that every battery manufactured
    by Sony is dodgy.

    Fred Dagg, Aug 19, 2006

  3. Vista

    Gordon Guest

    The coma returns. Was Re: Dell battery recall

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:35:01 +1200, Vista wrote:

    > 'Dell is voluntarily recalling
    > certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering
    > free replacements for these batteries.' I have checked mine and it is
    > manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this badly, but I
    > would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered Dell batteries
    > were being recalled, although because they havn't used a coma it is
    > difficult to tell.

    Yeah.

    Pray tell where would you place the coma? Personally I think the word is,
    is missing.

    Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells
    manufactured by Sony and *is* offering free replacements for these
    batteries.

    Never mind that the adveb should follow the verb.

    Gordon, Aug 19, 2006
  4. Vista wrote:
    > I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook purchased within the Dell battery
    > recall period. However when I went to the 'battery cheack website' at
    > https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx and entered my battery
    > number, it said that the recall didn't apply to my battery. This is despite
    > the fact that on the Dell website is says 'Dell is voluntarily recalling
    > certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering
    > free replacements for these batteries.' I have checked mine and it is
    > manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this badly, but I
    > would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered Dell batteries
    > were being recalled, although because they havn't used a coma it is
    > difficult to tell.
    > Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    > recalled?

    Seems pretty clear to me. Only 'certain' batteries are subject to the
    recall, irrespective of the manufacturer of the cells or the notebook
    they are designed for use with.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Aug 19, 2006
  5. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook purchased within the Dell battery
    > recall period. However when I went to the 'battery cheack website' at
    > https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx and entered my battery
    > number, it said that the recall didn't apply to my battery. This is
    > despite the fact that on the Dell website is says 'Dell is voluntarily
    > recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony
    > and offering free replacements for these batteries.' I have checked mine
    > and it is manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this
    > badly, but I would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered
    > Dell batteries were being recalled, although because they havn't used a
    > coma it is difficult to tell.
    > Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    > recalled?

    This article http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20060816-7523.html makes
    it appear that all Sony manufacturered batteries are affected. I don't
    really trust the https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx site as it
    looks like it is mainly for US buyers. I will phone there number to find
    out. I hope I can understand their accent this time, as last time I spoke to
    someone in either Malaysia or India.

    " The battery packs at the center of the Dell maelstrom contain cells
    manufactured by Sony, and their battery packs using cells from other sources
    have for now been deemed safe. Those Sony cells, however, are not only used
    by Dell, but by other computer manufacturers as well. If the cells are
    indeed found to be the malfunctioning component, the Li-ion manufacturing
    process itself may need to be reexamined. "

    Vista, Aug 19, 2006
  6. Vista

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 18:16:09 +1200, Fred Dagg <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:35:01 +1200, "Vista" <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook purchased within the Dell battery
    >>recall period. However when I went to the 'battery cheack website' at
    >>https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx and entered my battery
    >>number, it said that the recall didn't apply to my battery. This is despite
    >>the fact that on the Dell website is says 'Dell is voluntarily recalling
    >>certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony and offering
    >>free replacements for these batteries.' I have checked mine and it is
    >>manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this badly, but I
    >>would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered Dell batteries
    >>were being recalled, although because they havn't used a coma it is
    >>difficult to tell.
    >>Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    >>recalled?
    >>

    >I'd imagine Dell are (rightly or wrongly) placing the blame of Sony.
    >
    >I would find it very hard to believe that every battery manufactured
    >by Sony is dodgy.

    of := on;

    Fred Dagg, Aug 19, 2006
  7. T'was the Sat, 19 Aug 2006 17:35:01 +1200 when I remembered "Vista"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    >recalled?

    Mine didn't need to be recalled. Then again, my batteries say they're
    Sanyo ones (from Window's battery meter).
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Aug 19, 2006
  8. Vista

    J Brockley Guest

    "Vista" <> wrote in message
    > I've got a Dell Inspiron 8600 notebook purchased within the Dell battery
    > recall period. However when I went to the 'battery cheack website' at
    > https://www.dellbatteryprogram.com/Default.aspx and entered my battery
    > number, it said that the recall didn't apply to my battery. This is
    > despite the fact that on the Dell website is says 'Dell is voluntarily
    > recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with cells manufactured by Sony
    > and offering free replacements for these batteries.' I have checked mine
    > and it is manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this
    > badly, but I would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered
    > Dell batteries were being recalled, although because they havn't used a
    > coma it is difficult to tell.
    > Has this battery recall website told anyone that their battery has to be
    > recalled?

    Not sure how much clearer they could make it. Even gives you option to enter
    your number so you don't have to try and figure it out.

    J Brockley, Aug 20, 2006
  9. Vista

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-08-19, Vista <> wrote:

    > 'Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with
    > cells manufactured by Sony and offering free replacements for these
    > batteries.'

    > I have checked mine and it is
    > manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this badly, but I
    > would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered Dell batteries
    > were being recalled, although because they havn't used a coma it is
    > difficult to tell.

    you may want to check the meaning of certain, because it doesn't mean all.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Aug 20, 2006
  10. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "jasen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-08-19, Vista <> wrote:
    >
    >> 'Dell is voluntarily recalling certain Dell-branded batteries with
    >> cells manufactured by Sony and offering free replacements for these
    >> batteries.'

    >> I have checked mine and it is
    >> manufatcurered by Sony. I don't know if Dell has worded this badly, but I
    >> would take this statement to mean that all Sony manfacturered Dell
    >> batteries
    >> were being recalled, although because they havn't used a coma it is
    >> difficult to tell.

    > you may want to check the meaning of certain, because it doesn't mean all.
    >
    > Bye.
    > Jasen

    Actually some media agencies had reported that it was all sony batteries
    made between a certain date, and not just ones made for Dell, but also other
    manufacturers. This recall actually began in 2005, and since the inital
    recall, Dell have broadened it to other models and batch numbers, so
    eventually they may recalled the rest of the sony manufacturer batteries
    too.

    Vista, Aug 20, 2006