    only? I'm a retired electronics tech.
    Thanks for any info you may have.
    Don

    Don T., Dec 9, 2006

  2. Don T.

    Patrick Guest

    I would say not. Usually companies like Dell hate having techies take their
    shit apart so they usually make it either A. inacessible or B. unremovable
    (without difficulty). On the other hand, if your good with a soldering iron,
    nothing is impossible, just hope your good on a dual layer MB.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Dec 9, 2006

  3. Don T.

    Guest

    Don T. wrote:
    > Can I replace the ram card under the keyboard? Or is this a factory tech job
    > only? I'm a retired electronics tech.
    > Thanks for any info you may have.
    > Don

    why don't you give more information, like what is stopping you. Not
    everybody has that model of laptop.

    I've seen laptops where you lift the keyboard up very easily (2 bread
    knives can push those 2 tabs), the keyboard comes up, revealing the RAM
    in a regular socket for laptops. They make it so it's easy to upgrade
    the RAM. If they didn't then you bought a bad laptop. I am sure Dell
    would never do something so disgusting as make it impossible to upgrade
    the RAM.
    I haven't seen many laptops, but those i've seen , RAM wasn't soldered
    in. It's easy to access. You don't need to be an electronics tech, You
    don't even need to be a novice with a soldering iron to access it.

    My friend's experience with Dell, Is that Dell are very generous like
    that.. He opened his desktop/tower case and made it a bti of a mess
    inside with the cables. Just stuffed everything in. They took it back
    and fixed the problem he had.

    Many big companies buy Dell computers, and they have IT departments
    that upgrade RAM. I know they use Dell desktops andi 'm sure they use
    Dell laptops too. I suspect that I even upgraded the RAM in a Dell
    laptop, and it was as I said. I even vaguely recall instructions on the
    new packet of RAM, to put it in the socket and then tilt it till it's
    flat and clicks into place. Something like that anyway. You'll get it
    after fiddling for 5min. Certainly not more than an hour!

    , Dec 9, 2006
  4. Don T.

    Patrick Guest

    Well i have only taken an Inspiron 1000 appart and the factory mem is
    soldered right to the board.... would take a pic for ya since i do have it
    in pieces but i really need to get thise damn dc jack off.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Dec 10, 2006
  5. Don T.

    Guest

    Patrick wrote:
    > Well i have only taken an Inspiron 1000 appart and the factory mem is
    > soldered right to the board.... would take a pic for ya since i do have it
    > in pieces but i really need to get thise damn dc jack off.
    >
    > Patrick

    that's absolutely wild, it's so impossibly difficult to buy a laptop.
    I'm not sure that one can build one. Some laptops you can change
    anything - screen/keyboard, but you need to be 'trained' or certified
    by their repair branch. Or you need instructions which they don't make
    public.

    I've got a txt file on HDD, with a short list of laptop issues to check
    .. I'll add your point about RAM being soldered in (I guess under the
    keyboard which you could flip up?).
    At the moment it only has that SHIFT+UP arrow shouldn't be too close.
    And , for DOS/command prompt users, the \ key should be on the far
    left of the keyboard, next to the z.

    I guess one needs to buy a laptop with a 7+ day money back guarantee,
    so they'll take it back even if it's not faulty. But where is such a
    place? Maybe America has them but the UK is another matter.

    One could go through a checklist in a shop though. (or at home if
    there's a money back guarantee)

    -

    > <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Don T. wrote:
    > >> Can I replace the ram card under the keyboard? Or is this a factory tech
    > >> job
    > >> only? I'm a retired electronics tech.
    > >> Thanks for any info you may have.
    > >> Don

    > > why don't you give more information, like what is stopping you. Not
    > > everybody has that model of laptop.
    > >
    > > I've seen laptops where you lift the keyboard up very easily (2 bread
    > > knives can push those 2 tabs), the keyboard comes up, revealing the RAM
    > > in a regular socket for laptops. They make it so it's easy to upgrade
    > > the RAM. If they didn't then you bought a bad laptop. I am sure Dell
    > > would never do something so disgusting as make it impossible to upgrade
    > > the RAM.
    > > I haven't seen many laptops, but those i've seen , RAM wasn't soldered
    > > in. It's easy to access. You don't need to be an electronics tech, You
    > > don't even need to be a novice with a soldering iron to access it.
    > >
    > > My friend's experience with Dell, Is that Dell are very generous like
    > > that.. He opened his desktop/tower case and made it a bti of a mess
    > > inside with the cables. Just stuffed everything in. They took it back
    > > and fixed the problem he had.
    > >
    > > Many big companies buy Dell computers, and they have IT departments
    > > that upgrade RAM. I know they use Dell desktops andi 'm sure they use
    > > Dell laptops too. I suspect that I even upgraded the RAM in a Dell
    > > laptop, and it was as I said. I even vaguely recall instructions on the
    > > new packet of RAM, to put it in the socket and then tilt it till it's
    > > flat and clicks into place. Something like that anyway. You'll get it
    > > after fiddling for 5min. Certainly not more than an hour!

    , Dec 10, 2006
  6. Don T.

    Patrick Guest

    The factory memory was actually under the PCMCIA port....lol. If you pull
    the top chaise off of the laptop and you see some sort of glossy black pack
    stuck to a big row of chips...thats the memory.Its probably on both sides of
    the mb too.

    Patrick

    Patrick, Dec 10, 2006