    I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    photo-editing use.

    Me, Jan 22, 2009

  2. Me

    Peter M Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:23:45 +1300, Me <> wrote:

    >Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    >accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >
    >22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true. I don't care that
    >this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    >I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    >because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    >photo-editing use.

    Is it a 6 bit or 8 bit LCD Panel..?

    Peter M, Jan 23, 2009

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Peter M wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 10:23:45 +1300, Me <> wrote:
    >
    >> Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    >> accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >>
    >> 22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true. I don't care that
    >> this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    >> I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    >> because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    >> photo-editing use.

    > Is it a 6 bit or 8 bit LCD Panel..?

    It will be 8 bit.
    From what I have read, gamut may be slightly reduced from what is
    achievable with high-end PVA panels (Eizo, NEC etc). Viewing angle
    colour consistency should be excellent. The problem with most PVA (and
    afaik all TN types) is for colour shifts as viewing angle changes
    relative to the screen unless you are viewing from far enough back from
    the screen for the effect to be insignificant.
    With photography, viewing at closer distance (than say may be
    comfortable for viewing movies of playing games) can be quite normal.
    Reduced gamut should not be a problem. Gamut displayed should still
    well exceed what is possible from print, with possibly the exception of
    deep shadow detail.

    I see Cnet Aus has a brief review where they conclude : "This is the
    best 22-inch monitor we've seen" despite noting some flaws that
    shouldn't bother me.

    Me, Jan 23, 2009
  4. Me

    Guest

    On Jan 23, 10:23 am, Me <> wrote:
    > Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    > accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >
    > 22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true.  I don't care that
    > this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    > I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    > because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    > photo-editing use.

    I still use my 21inch CRTs....

    regards

    Thing

    , Jan 23, 2009
  5. Me

    Me Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 10:23 am, Me <> wrote:
    >> Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    >> accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >>
    >> 22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true. I don't care that
    >> this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    >> I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    >> because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    >> photo-editing use.

    > I still use my 21inch CRTs....

    I'm going to take a punt on this - even though I hate to be an "early
    adopter".
    In the past, Dell have released superior (PVA) LCDs, then changed the
    specs for the same model number and shipped cheap TN panels.
    Even if this IPS screen is a clunker, then it's still only about $100
    dearer than comparable TN screens.

    Me, Jan 23, 2009
  6. Me

    Me Guest

    Me wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Jan 23, 10:23 am, Me <> wrote:
    >>> Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    >>> accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >>>
    >>> 22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true. I don't care that
    >>> this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    >>> I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    >>> because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    >>> photo-editing use.

    >> I still use my 21inch CRTs....
    >>

    > I'm going to take a punt on this - even though I hate to be an "early
    > adopter".
    > In the past, Dell have released superior (PVA) LCDs, then changed the
    > specs for the same model number and shipped cheap TN panels.
    > Even if this IPS screen is a clunker, then it's still only about $100
    > dearer than comparable TN screens.

    Done - ordered. When it arrives, I'm gonna do a dance on my then barren
    desktop - well, so long as I can borrow a hoist to get my zimmer frame
    up there and also to get my old monster monitor down.
    NZ$500 included delivery - given that the price in Aus is $459, and
    rumoured to be ~US$300 in the US, that seemed pretty good.
    If it's a piece of shit, I'll post the URL to my TradeMe auction here,
    and throw in a set of Ginsu steak knives for the lucky buyer.

    Me, Jan 23, 2009
  7. Me

    Richard Guest

    wrote:
    > On Jan 23, 10:23 am, Me <> wrote:
    >> Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    >> accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >>
    >> 22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true. I don't care that
    >> this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    >> I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    >> because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    >> photo-editing use.

    > I still use my 21inch CRTs....

    Likewise, but the warmup to getting good focus is really getting to me
    now I am taking to turning them off when I am not using them to save on
    power.

    Dell have always done good deals on screens. I think thats so that
    people end up with their brand sitting infront of them all day and good
    thoughts about value and quality every time they look at it... Quite a
    powerful branding idea that.

    Richard, Jan 24, 2009
  8. Me

    Me Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> On Jan 23, 10:23 am, Me <> wrote:
    >>> Has anybody bought one of these yet - and can report back on colour
    >>> accuracy for graphics/photography?
    >>>
    >>> 22" IPS panel for ~ $NZ500 seems too good to be true. I don't care that
    >>> this isn't native 1080 HD - I prefer to watch movies away from my desk.
    >>> I'd like to finally get rid of my massive Diamondtron CRT - retained
    >>> because I'm too tight-arsed to pay the $ a flat panel decent enough for
    >>> photo-editing use.

    >> I still use my 21inch CRTs....

    > Likewise, but the warmup to getting good focus is really getting to me
    > now I am taking to turning them off when I am not using them to save on
    > power.
    >
    > Dell have always done good deals on screens. I think thats so that
    > people end up with their brand sitting infront of them all day and good
    > thoughts about value and quality every time they look at it... Quite a
    > powerful branding idea that.

    This 2209WA is excellent. Note that there is a 2209W model as well, but
    that's a TN panel.

    Me, Jan 29, 2009
  9. In article <glr9gm$mc7$>, lid says...
    > > Dell have always done good deals on screens. I think thats so that
    > > people end up with their brand sitting infront of them all day and good
    > > thoughts about value and quality every time they look at it... Quite a
    > > powerful branding idea that.
    > >

    > This 2209WA is excellent. Note that there is a 2209W model as well, but
    > that's a TN panel.

    I had a 3008 here a while back and it was god-awful. Apart from the
    creeping green tinge at the edge of the screen which was obviously a
    fault developing, a fellow owner described the colour as eye-cancer red,
    also calling the greens 'overly vivid' would be an understatement; you
    could either calibrate the screen to show acceptable movies and then the
    desktop colours would make your eyes bleed or have the desktop decently
    coloured and watch movies in water-coloured b&w. There didn't seem to be
    a workable compromise on that monitor. I sent it back, good on Dell for
    giving me a full refund, even having it picked up from my gate. But that
    experience has sure blown my willingness to ever buy another Dell
    monitor.
    The real pity lies in the fact that the Dell screen's resolution
    interpolation was really most excellent, much better'n my GeForce 8800
    gts card can achieve driving the HP LP3065, which I HAVE To run in
    native resolution to get a decent image at all. Then again, it came out
    of the box showing great colour balance and does both desktop and movie
    watching very well indeed without having to change any (colour)settings.

    f.w.i.w. -P.

    Peter Huebner, Jan 29, 2009
  10. Me

    Me Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <glr9gm$mc7$>, lid says...
    >>> Dell have always done good deals on screens. I think thats so that
    >>> people end up with their brand sitting infront of them all day and good
    >>> thoughts about value and quality every time they look at it... Quite a
    >>> powerful branding idea that.
    >> >

    >> This 2209WA is excellent. Note that there is a 2209W model as well, but
    >> that's a TN panel.
    >>

    > I had a 3008 here a while back and it was god-awful. Apart from the
    > creeping green tinge at the edge of the screen which was obviously a
    > fault developing, a fellow owner described the colour as eye-cancer red,
    > also calling the greens 'overly vivid' would be an understatement; you
    > could either calibrate the screen to show acceptable movies and then the
    > desktop colours would make your eyes bleed or have the desktop decently
    > coloured and watch movies in water-coloured b&w. There didn't seem to be
    > a workable compromise on that monitor.

    Don't most monitors have OSD selectable modes to switch between graphics
    and movies?

    > I sent it back, good on Dell for
    > giving me a full refund, even having it picked up from my gate. But that
    > experience has sure blown my willingness to ever buy another Dell
    > monitor.
    > The real pity lies in the fact that the Dell screen's resolution
    > interpolation was really most excellent, much better'n my GeForce 8800
    > gts card can achieve driving the HP LP3065, which I HAVE To run in
    > native resolution to get a decent image at all. Then again, it came out
    > of the box showing great colour balance and does both desktop and movie
    > watching very well indeed without having to change any (colour)settings.

    Correctly colour calibrated monitors are going to look very flat when
    viewing movies. People seem to like (or have gotten used to)
    over-saturated and over-contrasty screens - and most screens ship with
    that as default setting. That's fine - it's presumptuous to suggest
    that what they like is "wrong" in some way.
    But for photo editing, if you need accurate screen to print matches, you
    can't calibrate an LCD monitor by eye. This also probably doesn't
    matter for many people, as if they send the photo off for printing at a
    lab, then normal labs adjust the colour automatically anyway.
    An ultra-high res and large screen (30") should be nice for viewing
    photos. For editing, unless you have a very large room and desk, then
    2x 20-24" monitors running off a dual-head card is probably ideal. You
    can buy two of these (so far excellent) 22" dells for less than half the
    price of a reasonable quality 30".

    Me, Jan 30, 2009
  11. Me

    Ross Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 13:44:07 +1300, Me <> wrote:

    >Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> In article <glr9gm$mc7$>, lid says...
    >>> >
    >>> This 2209WA is excellent. Note that there is a 2209W model as well, but
    >>> that's a TN panel.
    >>>

    >> I had a 3008 here a while back and it was god-awful. Apart from the
    >> creeping green tinge at the edge of the screen which was obviously a
    >> fault developing, a fellow owner described the colour as eye-cancer red,
    >> also calling the greens 'overly vivid' would be an understatement; you
    >> could either calibrate the screen to show acceptable movies and then the
    >> desktop colours would make your eyes bleed or have the desktop decently
    >> coloured and watch movies in water-coloured b&w. There didn't seem to be
    >> a workable compromise on that monitor.

    >Don't most monitors have OSD selectable modes to switch between graphics
    >and movies?
    >
    >> I sent it back, good on Dell for
    >> giving me a full refund, even having it picked up from my gate. But that
    >> experience has sure blown my willingness to ever buy another Dell
    >> monitor.
    >> The real pity lies in the fact that the Dell screen's resolution
    >> interpolation was really most excellent, much better'n my GeForce 8800
    >> gts card can achieve driving the HP LP3065, which I HAVE To run in
    >> native resolution to get a decent image at all. Then again, it came out
    >> of the box showing great colour balance and does both desktop and movie
    >> watching very well indeed without having to change any (colour)settings.
    >>

    >Correctly colour calibrated monitors are going to look very flat when
    >viewing movies. People seem to like (or have gotten used to)
    >over-saturated and over-contrasty screens - and most screens ship with
    >that as default setting. That's fine - it's presumptuous to suggest
    >that what they like is "wrong" in some way.
    >But for photo editing, if you need accurate screen to print matches, you
    >can't calibrate an LCD monitor by eye. This also probably doesn't
    >matter for many people, as if they send the photo off for printing at a
    >lab, then normal labs adjust the colour automatically anyway.
    >An ultra-high res and large screen (30") should be nice for viewing
    >photos. For editing, unless you have a very large room and desk, then
    >2x 20-24" monitors running off a dual-head card is probably ideal. You
    >can buy two of these (so far excellent) 22" dells for less than half the
    >price of a reasonable quality 30".

    Yep. My son bought a Dell 24" TN for $404 last week. (after $100 off,
    then 10% educ discount).

    Other son is an artist - waiting for a good value IPS, sticking with
    CRTs till then.

    Ross, Jan 30, 2009