Dell 1150 Truemobile Wlan card 'cable unplugged' on W2K

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by robertharvey@my-deja.com, Jan 21, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I have just fallen foul of what turned out to be an old chestnut. The
    card produces a network connection which reports that the cable is
    unplugged.

    I installed the client manager, which reported that the RF connection
    was fine, and the latest driver (which changed the layout of the
    dialogues wherein the WEP is entered, but was otherwise unsuccesful).

    A google search showed that this is a very well known problem indeed,
    but it appears that not everyone has come across the answer. The
    answer is, actually, in a Dell knowledge base article, but not one that
    Dell's search utility was keen to reproduce. You need a 3rd bit of
    software to take the place of the cable between the radio modem and the
    pseudo ethernet port - it was true, the "cable" was not connected.

    http://tinyurl.com/6xfme tells you what's missing, but the method of
    finding it given is not right - you actually have to search the
    download page not the page given. http://tinyurl.com/46wa5 is what you
    want.

    I ended up with 3 things to install. R22540, R43778, R46012.

    The problem is with W2000 and the allocation of interrupts. The
    mini-pci slot is trying to use an interrupt that W2K can't allocate
    with a simple driver definition file.

    I'm glad to have sorted it, but There have been hundreds of people
    inconvenienced by this in the past. They have gone up blind alleys
    with patching both the driver and hardware to sort ot things that
    should not have gone wrong in the first place. It took me at least 5
    hours of hunting before I found it on the Dell web site, whose main
    points of entry assume you are using XP. I still don't understand why
    this code had to be downloaded separately.
    Anyway, I hope this helps other people.
    , Jan 21, 2005

  2. Quaoar Guest

    wrote:
    > I have just fallen foul of what turned out to be an old chestnut. The
    > card produces a network connection which reports that the cable is
    > unplugged.
    >
    > I installed the client manager, which reported that the RF connection
    > was fine, and the latest driver (which changed the layout of the
    > dialogues wherein the WEP is entered, but was otherwise unsuccesful).
    >
    > A google search showed that this is a very well known problem indeed,
    > but it appears that not everyone has come across the answer. The
    > answer is, actually, in a Dell knowledge base article, but not one
    > that Dell's search utility was keen to reproduce. You need a 3rd bit
    > of software to take the place of the cable between the radio modem
    > and the pseudo ethernet port - it was true, the "cable" was not
    > connected.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/6xfme tells you what's missing, but the method of
    > finding it given is not right - you actually have to search the
    > download page not the page given. http://tinyurl.com/46wa5 is what
    > you want.
    >
    > I ended up with 3 things to install. R22540, R43778, R46012.
    >
    > The problem is with W2000 and the allocation of interrupts. The
    > mini-pci slot is trying to use an interrupt that W2K can't allocate
    > with a simple driver definition file.
    >
    > I'm glad to have sorted it, but There have been hundreds of people
    > inconvenienced by this in the past. They have gone up blind alleys
    > with patching both the driver and hardware to sort ot things that
    > should not have gone wrong in the first place. It took me at least 5
    > hours of hunting before I found it on the Dell web site, whose main
    > points of entry assume you are using XP. I still don't understand why
    > this code had to be downloaded separately.
    > Anyway, I hope this helps other people.

    repost to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell?

    Quaoar, Jan 21, 2005

  3. Guest

    Quaoar wrote:
    > repost to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell?

    Well, it's a thought. I chose the 3 groups with the highest original
    traffic about the problem. I don't like crossposting too widely, it's
    rude, and a google search should find it with any luck.
    , Jan 22, 2005
  4. Guest

    I just want to add that it takes it nearly 2 minutes to connect after
    booting, but that's the sort of thing I've come to expect with windows
    systems...
    , Jan 22, 2005