    The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing them
    getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you can
    help

    fredcromer, May 30, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Tim Kettring Guest

    I dont totally understand , but my posted acct is one that I have never ever
    sent from , and I get 'return to sender' "delivery failure" emails all the
    time , and always delete them without looking at them , since they probably
    are a virus .

    "fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
    > Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

    in
    > LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

    in
    > my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
    > me,..to a person,..( usually called ),or names to

    that
    > effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

    nob-eds),...
    > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

    with
    > an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

    please
    > don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

    yet,
    > but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
    > else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
    > time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

    internet
    > sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
    > SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

    ARE.........All

    Tim Kettring, May 31, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    > Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to computing, so

    in
    > LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about 20-30 emails

    in
    > my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have been sent by
    > me,..to a person,..( usually called ),or names to

    that
    > effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

    nob-eds),...
    > Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always accompanied

    with
    > an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a firewall,so

    please
    > don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a good one

    yet,

    What in the world are you talking about? Sygate personal is great - and
    free. Zonealarm does fine, and is free. Outpost comes with a free 30 day
    trial of their professional version, then it reverts to standard and is
    still *FREE*. Ya can't afford stinking *FREE*? Geez...

    > but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or something
    > else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a computer at the same
    > time, and have no firewall...DON't get them....I NEVER visit dodgy

    internet
    > sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3 months.....HOPE
    > SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT THESE E-MAILS

    ARE.........All
    > The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about preventing

    them
    > getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading, hope you

    can
    > help

    Yes. They're spam, or something. Change your e-mail address with your ISP.

    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    LanceN Guest

    Tim Kettring, <> wrote:

    > I dont totally understand , but my posted acct is one that I
    > have never ever sent from , and I get 'return to sender'
    > "delivery failure" emails all the time , and always delete them
    > without looking at them , since they probably are a virus .
    >
    > "fredcromer" <fred@carpcaughtandnospamplease> wrote in message
    >> Right, just to get things started here, I'm totally new to
    >> computing, so

    > in
    >> LAMENS terms, can anyone tell me 'why' I am recieving about
    >> 20-30 emails

    > in
    >> my MAILWASHER account that are emails that were meant to have
    >> been sent by me,..to a person,..( usually called
    >> ),or names to

    > that
    >> effect, ya know ft4ert6qw3@puremail etc...made up by someone (

    > nob-eds),...
    >> Obviously I never sent these emails, and they are always
    >> accompanied

    > with
    >> an Attachment..( Probably the SWEN/worm), I don't have a
    >> firewall,so

    > please
    >> don't state that 'YOU SHOULD GET A .....', as I can't afford a
    >> good one

    > yet,
    >> but just tell me what these emails are...are they spam,or
    >> something else....and why do I get them, yet my mates who got a
    >> computer at the same time, and have no firewall...DON't get
    >> them....I NEVER visit dodgy

    > internet
    >> sites, but it must be something i've done over the last 3
    >> months.....HOPE SOMEONE CAN JUST GIVE ME AN INSIGHT INTO WHAT
    >> THESE E-MAILS

    > ARE.........All
    >> The Best.....FRED, oh Yeah, and HOW can I at least go about
    >> preventing

    > them
    >> getting to my computer, if it's possible...Cheers for reading,
    >> hope you

    > can
    >> help

    This is fred

    >I have a personal computer in my flat...no-one else uses it , so i

    don't
    >have 2 worry about file sharing etc....I recently asked which logon

    i should
    >use...(1) windows family....(2) MS for client....or (3) the other

    one, can't
    >remember the name...WINDOWS summat or other.....ANYWAY........When i

    log on
    >to my own PC, and use mailwaher, there are the usuall 15 or so,
    >spammy,virusy, shite emails, ..it's pretty tiresome deleting

    'em...so can
    >any 'normal' person in these newsgroups, tell me how to keep my e-

    mail
    >address 'safe'....or can anyone who reads this for example, get my

    e-mail
    >address ???, if so, how do i fix it....MANY THANKS IF YOU CAN HELP

    ME WITH
    >THIS ISSUE, which by the way, is probably the most important

    question i've
    >posted yet....cos it really pisses me off, all that crap that comes

    into
    >MAILWASHER......THANKS , All the Best.....FRED, ......P.S....i've

    sinned to
    >****, by only having a computer for 3 months, and daring to ask

    questions on
    >this newsgroup.,..24hour-helpdesk....WHAT WAS I THINKIN' OF....sorry

    to all
    >you lot who have helped me immensely these last few months....but

    there are
    >some right twats who think that 'cos they know summat about friggin'
    >computers, they're in some way SUPERIOR to us mere mortals...Also

    i'll have
    >2 mention the couple who like using the profanitys, well i've done a

    good
    >bit of time in my life, hard fuckin' time...in many Nicks , and

    these are
    >the people I wish i'd have done, instead of the ones who i

    unfortunately
    >happened to force their eyeballs to the backs of their skulls with

    me'
    >thumbs, just so I could grin as i felt the nearing of the back of

    the
    >sockets, that touch the inside skull...i'd have a real good half-

    hour with
    >you cunts, it'd make me feel 'SUPERIOR' , knowing that i can't be
    >done...'cos i don't allow meself to..I wonder how 'hard' these tough

    talkin'
    >blokes really are ? i'd like 2 find out......if only

    eh?........Yankee
    >gobshites.........Anyway, sorry to the helpful news-group-users for

    this
    >long-winded way of gettin' a bit of frustration out of me,

    here.....All the

    LanceN, May 31, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    ProfGene Guest

    You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often as you
    can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried it yet.
    In your address book make the first entry AAA for the email address with no
    more information this might stop the worm from sending spam because the
    first one on the list will cause it not to go to the others but come back to
    you as undeliverable.

    ProfGene, May 31, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Ben Guest

    On Mon, 31 May 2004 12:26:34 -0500, ProfGene wrote:

    > You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often as you
    > can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried it yet.
    > In your address book make the first entry AAA for the email address with no
    > more information this might stop the worm from sending spam because the
    > first one on the list will cause it not to go to the others but come back to
    > you as undeliverable.

    An old and long discounted idea. It doesn't work according to those who
    know more about it than me.

    Iggy

    Ben, May 31, 2004
  7. fredcromer

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Not a chance, Professor...

    http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/quickfix.htm

    Toolman Tim, May 31, 2004
  8. fredcromer

    MayB Guest

    "ProfGene" <> wrote in message
    > You should run your virus scan and clean out all the worms as often

    as you
    > can. I just learned something that might work but I haven't tried

    it yet.
    > In your address book make the first entry AAA

    Prof Gene: That is one bucket of bull! --- But to the OP: For
    Heaven's sake, download a FREE firewall from zonelabs.com. It's the
    best!

    I don't have a firewall,so

    MayB, May 31, 2004