    into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
    can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
    got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

    mike, Jan 30, 2007

  2. mike

    Tony in Oz Guest

    Remove the CMOS Battery from the motherboard, leave it out for a while, then
    replace it, and boot it up. OR: Put the reset jumper on the motherboard ,
    leave it about 10 seconds, then remove it and reboot.

    Tony in Oz, Jan 30, 2007

  3. Tony in Oz wrote:
    > Remove the CMOS Battery from the motherboard, leave it out for a while, then
    > replace it, and boot it up. OR: Put the reset jumper on the motherboard ,
    > leave it about 10 seconds, then remove it and reboot.

    Can't anyone see the word "laptop" in the subject or body?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 31, 2007
  4. mike

    Otter Guest

    In news:45c05f16$0$17043$,
    Rôgêr <> typed:
    > Tony in Oz wrote:
    >> Remove the CMOS Battery from the motherboard, leave it out for a
    >> while, then replace it, and boot it up. OR: Put the reset jumper on
    >> the motherboard , leave it about 10 seconds, then remove it and
    >> reboot.

    > Can't anyone see the word "laptop" in the subject or body?

    Yes. Care for a CMOSPwd?

    Otter, Jan 31, 2007
  5. On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:43:42 -0500, mike wrote:

    > I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to get
    > into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is, what
    > can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before I
    > got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

    Kill the bios to reset the password ie at least take out for a few
    minutes the little battery on the motherboard. Get the details from the
    motherboard manual, and to see what options you have in the bios - you
    should already have it if you are trying to get into the bios.

    Default LiveCD User, Jan 31, 2007

    As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 31, 2007
  7. mike

    Otter Guest

    In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    Rôgêr <> typed:
    > mike wrote:
    >> I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to
    >> get into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password
    >> is, what can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the
    >> laptop before I got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any
    >> suggestions??

    > As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

    Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    Otter, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Otter wrote:
    > In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    > Rôgêr <> typed:

    >>As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

    > Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    Don't really know why there's a burr under your saddle when it comes to
    my posts. If you'll look over the past decade or so of my posts, you'll
    see that I don't aid and abet holders of stolen goods. I look at what I
    have to go with, in this case a seemingly reasonable request for help,
    and go from there.

    And if you've been around this group long enough to learn, you'll go
    easy with the "we'll" talk unless you have an evil twin sitting next to you.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 31, 2007
  9. mike

    John Holmes Guest

    mike "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to

    get
    > into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password is,

    what
    > can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the laptop before

    > got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any suggestions??

    In a DOS-box, type debug. At the debug prompt:

    debug
    -o 70 2E
    -o 71 00
    -q
    (This will leave your drive settings as they are but clears most of the
    rest)

    AMI & Award Bios...

    debug
    -o 70 17
    -o 71 17
    -q
    (Same)

    debug
    -o 70 FF
    -o 71 17
    -q
    (In most cases, this will reset the entire CMOS)

    --
    You evil-smelling piece of smelly monkey zits.

    John Holmes, Jan 31, 2007
  10. mike

    Otter Guest

    In news:45c08875$0$9500$,
    Rôgêr <> typed:
    > Otter wrote:
    >> In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    >> Rôgêr <> typed:

    >>> As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

    >> Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    > Don't really know why there's a burr under your saddle when it comes
    > to my posts. If you'll look over the past decade or so of my posts,
    > you'll see that I don't aid and abet holders of stolen goods. I look at
    > what
    > I have to go with, in this case a seemingly reasonable request for
    > help, and go from there.

    Ok by me, but I don't have to agree with your position on any request.

    > And if you've been around this group long enough to learn, you'll go
    > easy with the "we'll" talk unless you have an evil twin sitting next
    > to you.

    I'm incorrigible.

    Otter, Jan 31, 2007
  11. mike

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    > Rôgêr <> typed:
    >> mike wrote:
    >>> I have a gateway solo 5300 laptop running windows 2000 when I try to
    >>> get into bios it asks for a password. I don't know what the password
    >>> is, what can I do so I can access bios. I don't know who owned the
    >>> laptop before I got it so I can't go to them for the password. Any
    >>> suggestions??

    >> As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

    > Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    There are times when this request is legit. I have a Dell laptop at the
    office where the CFO of our company had a complicated password set, then
    "retired" the system. A few months later he turned it in, and has forgotten
    the password. We can't get rid of it. Dell provided a "user" level password,
    so we can use the system, but even they said they can't remove the setup
    password.

    (I taped the user password to the system so we don't forget THAT one too
    <grin>! Now it's just a backup in case a user's system goes down - we toss
    the laptop on their desk so they can keep working.)

    WhzzKdd, Feb 1, 2007
  12. mike

    Otter Guest

    In news:iyawh.748$,
    WhzzKdd <> typed:
    > Otter wrote:
    >> In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    >> Rôgêr <> typed:
    >>>
    >>> As Otter hints at, try http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/CmosPwd

    >> Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    > There are times when this request is legit. <snip>

    Of course. But what do you think about this query, on the face of it?

    Otter, Feb 1, 2007
  13. mike

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Otter wrote:
    > In news:iyawh.748$,
    > WhzzKdd <> typed:
    >> Otter wrote:
    >>> In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    >>> Rôgêr <> typed:

    >>> Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    >> There are times when this request is legit. <snip>

    > Of course. But what do you think about this query, on the face of it?

    Well, first impression? Not good, that's for sure.

    WhzzKdd, Feb 1, 2007
  14. mike

    Mad Dog Guest

    "Otter" <> wrote in message
    > In news:iyawh.748$,
    > WhzzKdd <> typed:
    > > Otter wrote:
    > >> In news:45c07a9f$0$2099$,
    > >> Rôgêr <> typed:

    try

    who

    > >> Yep, we'll aid and abet the holder of any stolen goods.

    > > There are times when this request is legit. <snip>

    > Of course. But what do you think about this query, on the face of

    it?

    Here Is a Free Bio's password clearing tool. Read the directions
    Well.

    http://www.majorgeeks.com/CmosCLS_d3605.html

    Mad Dog, Feb 1, 2007