    to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
    refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!

    TIA.
    ian field, Oct 15, 2006

  2. ian field

    philo Guest

    "ian field" <> wrote in message
    news:8OvYg.23781$...
    > Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I

    temporarily
    > replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the

    original
    > master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.
    >
    > The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows on
    > what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now like
    > to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
    > refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!
    >
    > TIA.

    use disk management
    philo, Oct 15, 2006

  3. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    > "ian field" <> wrote in message
    >> Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I

    > temporarily
    >> replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the

    > original
    >> master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.
    >>
    >> The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows
    >> on
    >> what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now
    >> like
    >> to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
    >> refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!
    >>
    >> TIA.
    >>

    > use disk management

    Do I want to convert from a MBR disk to a GPT disk ?
    ian field, Oct 15, 2006
  4. ian field

    philo Guest

    > > use disk management
    > >

    > Do I want to convert from a MBR disk to a GPT disk ?

    I'd just leave it as MBR,
    format it as NTFS and then assign it a drive letter and you should be all
    set to go
    philo, Oct 15, 2006
  5. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    >> > use disk management
    >> >

    >> Do I want to convert from a MBR disk to a GPT disk ?
    >>

    > I'd just leave it as MBR,
    > format it as NTFS and then assign it a drive letter and you should be all
    > set to go

    Thanks - the actual disk management tree is way less confusing than the
    bloody awful help system (once I found it that is!).
    ian field, Oct 15, 2006
  6. ian field

    philo Guest

    > > I'd just leave it as MBR,
    > > format it as NTFS and then assign it a drive letter and you should be

    all
    > > set to go
    > >

    > Thanks - the actual disk management tree is way less confusing than the
    > bloody awful help system (once I found it that is!).

    yep..
    it's well hidden but now you know where it is!
    philo, Oct 15, 2006
  7. ian field

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 15 Oct 2006 19:16:20 GMT, "ian field" <>
    wrote:

    >Having run out of space on the master HD I added a slave which I temporarily
    >replaced the original master, to avoid any risk to the files on the original
    >master while I formatted the partition on the new drive.
    >
    >The problem is, the XP install CD proceeded to start installing Windows on
    >what was to be the new slave before I could stop it! What I would now like
    >to do is use the Format command in the "My Computer" pulldown, but it
    >refuses to do this - anyone know how to circumvent this!
    >
    >TIA.

    Vague post, but you should format the slave from DOS (WIN98 boot disk)
    with master disconnected. Then reconnect master, boot to XP and you
    cna probably do what you want.

    jd
    Jimmy Dean, Oct 16, 2006
  8. ian field

    philo Guest

    > >TIA.

    > Vague post, but you should format the slave from DOS (WIN98 boot disk)
    > with master disconnected. Then reconnect master, boot to XP and you
    > cna probably do what you want.
    >
    > jd

    NO...
    not good .
    win98 can only format the drive as fat32
    philo, Oct 16, 2006
  9. ian field

    ian field Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in message

    >> >TIA.

    >> Vague post, but you should format the slave from DOS (WIN98 boot disk)
    >> with master disconnected. Then reconnect master, boot to XP and you
    >> cna probably do what you want.
    >>
    >> jd

    > NO...
    > not good .
    > win98 can only format the drive as fat32

    ..........otherwise I would have done it like that!
    ian field, Oct 16, 2006