  1. Does anyone know how I get enough permissions to delete these folders under
    Vista 5231 64bit? Running as administrator but cannot find a way of changing
    the permissions on many files.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIE1jR3VnYW4=?=, Dec 27, 2005

  2. Try taking ownership of the files under Windows Vista x64.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2005

  3. Thanks. Thought I had done that (well I had) but had forgotten to tick the
    subcontainers and objects box. Can now delete the windows.old but cannot
    close the "propertied" windows and the "advanced window" and have had to
    reboot. Weird. On reboot Windows Explorer didn't respond once opened and
    crashed when I tried to close it. The OS stopped completely whilst trying to
    send a report to MS eventually giving me a werfault.exe error window.
    Explorer then ran ok. Think Vista is a long way off from being releasable.

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIE1jR3VnYW4=?=, Dec 27, 2005
  4. Even stranger I cannot delete windows.old.000 this way. Am left with 6100
    files that I do not have enough permissions on, despite taking ownership as
    described in MS article. Eg:
    File Access Denied
    There is a security controlling access to the file 'wiatwain.ds'. You do not
    have sufficient permission to perform this operation.....

    One of the files that gives this error is wordpad.exe

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIE1jR3VnYW4=?=, Dec 27, 2005
  5. Well, the install routine used is not supported in that beta release, clean
    installs only which means if you have any valuable data, you need to back it
    up before you install Vista on the target disk. Also, you are using dead
    code, 5270 was released last week Monday. ;-)

    If you have addition questions concerning Windows Vista, you can leave a
    post in the Public newsgroups for Vista:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvis...g=microsoft.public.longhornhelp&lang=en&cr=US

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2005
  6. You are probably encountering User Account Protection (UAP), click Start
    type in the Search box, toggle.exe or UAP, a dialogue should pop up asking
    you if you would like to complete this action (Turn off UAP). You will then
    be asked log off and log back on. Try taking ownership of the folder again.
    Hope it works.

    Andre Da Costa, Dec 27, 2005
  7. Sadly no difference. It is not a clean install but it is a "repair".

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIE1jR3VnYW4=?=, Dec 28, 2005