    Apparently to install a new graphics card I have to delete
    the old cards (onboard) stuff.
    That sounds scary, without those drivers how will I see the screen FFS?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 31, 2006

  2. Bazzer Smith

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Without a video driver for a specific graphics card, a default VGA driver will be used, which will work with any video card.
    The standard procedure to replace a video card in an expansion slot is to remove the old driver, remove the old card, insert the new card, and install the driver for the new card. Since you can't physically remove the onboard video chip set you must disable it either in the system BIOS or with a jumper on the mother board.

    --
    Mike Walsh
    West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.

    Mike Walsh, Jul 31, 2006

  3. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Mike Walsh" <> wrote in message

    > Without a video driver for a specific graphics card, a default VGA driver
    > will be used, which will work with any video card.

    I thought as much, it was a bit like me buying a cdrw with its installation
    disk with its drivers on!!!

    > The standard procedure to replace a video card in an expansion slot is to
    > remove the old driver, remove the old card, insert the new card, and
    > install the driver for the new card. Since you can't physically remove the
    > onboard video chip set you must disable it either in the system BIOS or
    > with a jumper on the mother board.

    In a way I don't want to disable it because I want to use multiple monitors.
    The new card can support two monitors though (well I think so
    anyway).However
    why not enable the onboard stuff and have 3 monitors?

    I mean its like binning your existing hard drive when you buy a new one.

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 31, 2006
  4. Bazzer Smith

    Ian O Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:
    > "Mike Walsh" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Without a video driver for a specific graphics card, a default VGA driver
    >> will be used, which will work with any video card.
    >>

    > I thought as much, it was a bit like me buying a cdrw with its installation
    > disk with its drivers on!!!
    >

    >> The standard procedure to replace a video card in an expansion slot is to
    >> remove the old driver, remove the old card, insert the new card, and
    >> install the driver for the new card. Since you can't physically remove the
    >> onboard video chip set you must disable it either in the system BIOS or
    >> with a jumper on the mother board.
    >>

    > In a way I don't want to disable it because I want to use multiple monitors.
    > The new card can support two monitors though (well I think so
    > anyway).However
    > why not enable the onboard stuff and have 3 monitors?
    >
    > I mean its like binning your existing hard drive when you buy a new one.
    >
    > <snip>

    You lost me a little, and not only with the mixed top and bottom
    postings, LOL! (sorry, had to say that) Can I assume that you are
    using an board AGP graphics and wish to add a PCI Radeon? In theory
    you can operate both together although I am not sure if Windows (and I
    am really talking about XP, however you mentioned drivers for CDRW
    devices which suggests to me you might be on 98??) will handle more
    than two displays, be they one each on two devices, or two on one
    device. I may be wrong, because I have never tried three (or four!) or
    seen it done. Someone else might know. You are inviting conflicts and
    problems by attempting this, however, despite the theory that it could
    work. Won't two monitors driven from a newer and superior (I presume)
    card be enough for you? What was it you have set out to achieve?

    To answer your first question, if you remove the old drivers from
    Windows, re-boot, disable on-board graphics in BIOS, and then hook up a
    display to your new card you will see the initial screens via that card
    and Windows will start up in VGA mode, with a basic driver-less (in
    effect) display. Most systems that have on-board graphics also have an
    option in BIOS to ensure you can boot from an add-in display card.

    ---
    Virus Database (VPS): 0631-0, 31/07/2006
    Tested on: 31/07/2006 22:42:03

    Ian O, Jul 31, 2006
  5. Bazzer Smith

    Plato Guest

    Bazzer Smith wrote:

    > Apparently to install a new graphics card I have to delete
    > the old cards (onboard) stuff.

    Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

    > That sounds scary, without those drivers how will I see the screen FFS?

    No you will still be left with the default windows drivers which
    will/should still give you 640X480

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Jul 31, 2006
  6. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Ian O" <> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >> "Mike Walsh" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Without a video driver for a specific graphics card, a default VGA
    >>> driver will be used, which will work with any video card.
    >>>

    >> I thought as much, it was a bit like me buying a cdrw with its
    >> installation disk with its drivers on!!!
    >>

    >>> The standard procedure to replace a video card in an expansion slot is
    >>> to remove the old driver, remove the old card, insert the new card, and
    >>> install the driver for the new card. Since you can't physically remove
    >>> the onboard video chip set you must disable it either in the system BIOS
    >>> or with a jumper on the mother board.
    >>>

    >> In a way I don't want to disable it because I want to use multiple
    >> monitors.
    >> The new card can support two monitors though (well I think so
    >> anyway).However
    >> why not enable the onboard stuff and have 3 monitors?
    >>
    >> I mean its like binning your existing hard drive when you buy a new one.
    >>
    >> <snip>
    >>

    > You lost me a little, and not only with the mixed top and bottom postings,
    > LOL! (sorry, had to say that) Can I assume that you are using an board
    > AGP graphics and wish to add a PCI Radeon?

    I have onboard Radeon Xpress 200, there is one CRT port.

    I bought a Radeon 9550 card which has two ports, DVI and CRT
    I think it will suppoort two monitors (will try installing it in a few mins)

    > In theory you can operate both together although I am not sure if Windows
    > (and I am really talking about XP, however you mentioned drivers for CDRW
    > devices which suggests to me you might be on 98??)

    That my old comp, this is XP.

    >will handle more than two displays, be they one each on two devices, or two
    >on one device. I may be wrong, because I have never tried three (or
    >four!) or seen it done. Someone else might know.

    Definately can be done Browse these!!

    http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/gallery_browse.asp?ID=741&date=desc&nummon=false&mon=desc

    >You are inviting conflicts and problems by attempting this, however,
    >despite the theory that it could work.

    >Won't two monitors driven from a newer and superior (I presume) card be
    >enough for you?

    No I am greedy!! Well I actually only have 2 monitors so 2 is enough
    (for now).

    >What was it you have set out to achieve?

    Have my desktop spread across 2 or 3 monitors

    > To answer your first question, if you remove the old drivers from Windows,
    > re-boot, disable on-board graphics in BIOS, and then hook up a display to
    > your new card you will see the initial screens via that card and Windows
    > will start up in VGA mode, with a basic driver-less (in effect) display.
    > Most systems that have on-board graphics also have an option in BIOS to
    > ensure you can boot from an add-in display card.

    Well if the onboard will work with out its drivers thats OK really isn't it?

    Bazzer Smith, Jul 31, 2006
  7. Bazzer Smith

    kony Guest

    On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:46:51 GMT, "Bazzer Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >Apparently to install a new graphics card I have to delete
    >the old cards (onboard) stuff.
    >That sounds scary, without those drivers how will I see the screen FFS?

    What operating system?
    I'll assume windows XP.

    Go into add/remove programs, and remove the driver.

    If it's not in add/remove programs, proceed onwards....

    Shut off system, unplug it from ac, install new video card.

    If it's an AGP card, or PCI Express, plug monitor into new
    card now.

    If it's a PCI card, you can connect to either but when you
    turn the system on, if it's connected to PCI and you dont'
    get video, turn system off and reconnect to the onboard
    video. If it remains connected to onboard video and you get
    video, go into the bios and change the primary display
    adapter to PCI. The goal being that when monitor is
    connected to the PCI card, you get the bios video display
    when system is first turned on.

    Next boot the OS. You will have VGA video, 640x480 and
    monochrome (or 16 color in Windows) until you install the
    proper driver either through a new hardware detection wizard
    or manually running an executible, or cancelling the wizard
    and manually browsing to the driver folder from Device
    Manager (in the properties for the new video adapter).

    kony, Jul 31, 2006
  8. Bazzer Smith

    DaveW Guest

    After deleting the old video card's driver, when you next boot up the
    computer Windows will automatically load a default generic video card driver
    to get you by until you load the new driver.

    --
    DaveW

    ----------------

    DaveW, Aug 1, 2006
  9. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "kony" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 16:46:51 GMT, "Bazzer Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Apparently to install a new graphics card I have to delete
    >>the old cards (onboard) stuff.
    >>That sounds scary, without those drivers how will I see the screen FFS?
    >>

    > What operating system?
    > I'll assume windows XP.
    >
    > Go into add/remove programs, and remove the driver.
    >
    > If it's not in add/remove programs, proceed onwards....
    >
    > Shut off system, unplug it from ac, install new video card.
    >
    > If it's an AGP card, or PCI Express, plug monitor into new
    > card now.

    It's an AGP card as I have just discovered to my horror.
    It was fairly obvious that it would not fit as soon as I took the card from
    it's
    wrapper, although I did think it might fit in to the PCI express slot, I
    don't
    think I would have powered it up even if it did fit. (I tried!!).
    I have no AGP slots in my new computer, just PCI and PCI Express.
    I would probably fit in to my eight year old computer but that is pointless.

    I just assumed it would fit in my computer when I bought it, I mean AGP
    is like real 'old hat' now, 3rd generation, and it cost £40.

    I just hope the shop will refund me!!

    Actually I just found the receipt and it says £59, I could have swore it
    said £39
    in the shop, maybe I picked up the wrong box but I doubt it. That's the
    trouble
    with paying with a card, if I had handed over two £20 notes as I would have
    done with cash
    the problem would have been apparent. (I was in a bit of a rush as the store
    was about to close).

    I just hope I have no problems returning it, hopefully not as there appeared
    to a lot of returned
    stuff near the checkout, I guess I will find out!!

    I think making out I will be buying a much more expensive card will help ;O)
    Would fetch a fair price on ebay anyway.

    I thinkI need to figure out what is the best card for me when basiclly all I
    want to do is
    run two monitors without spending a fortune!!!

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  10. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "DaveW" <> wrote in message
    > After deleting the old video card's driver, when you next boot up the
    > computer Windows will automatically load a default generic video card
    > driver to get you by until you load the new driver.

    Yea but there was all this stuff about disableing the onboard stuff in the
    bios (had a look in there
    and it was not too helpfull).
    Anyway the card is AGP and I only have PCI or better slots so I have to
    return the card first anyway

    Anyway in the HP (my computer) support guide it says:-

    "To use the multiple monitor support feature, you need a PCI or AGP video
    adapter for each monitor.
    If you have an onboard video adapter (one that is not a plug-in card but is
    part of the motherboard) that you
    want to use as part of a multiple-monitor configuration, it must be set as
    VGA. "

    I think I can do that in the BIOS, I will try to avoid deleting anything at
    first, "just in case".

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  11. Bazzer Smith

    Bazzer Smith Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Bazzer Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Apparently to install a new graphics card I have to delete
    >> the old cards (onboard) stuff.

    > Sometimes yes, sometimes no.
    >
    >> That sounds scary, without those drivers how will I see the screen FFS?

    > No you will still be left with the default windows drivers which
    > will/should still give you 640X480

    Yea, thats a bit of a relief. I was just having nightmares about trying to
    fix my computer
    when I could not see the screen at all!!!

    I guess the fact I get a basic BIOS screen before windows has even booted up
    should make me
    sleep a little easier. I just like to err on the side of cautioin.

    Bazzer Smith, Aug 1, 2006
  12. Bazzer Smith

    Mike Walsh Guest

    Most likely both ports output the same video, i.e. they can't be used in the usual dual monitor configuration with different video on each monitor.

    Mike Walsh, Aug 1, 2006
  13. Bazzer Smith

    Rod Speed Guest

    Most 9550s are dual head, you can certainly have two monitors.

    Mike Walsh <> wrote

    Rod Speed, Aug 1, 2006