deleting temp problem

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by -D-, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. -D-

    -D- Guest

    I'm running Win2000 Pro and I routinely clear out my temp folder. I
    encountered a problem the other day with some files that I can't delete. I
    can't rename them, cut, copy, or do anything to get rid of them. In the
    temp folder under the current user in local settings, there is a copy of the
    Internet Temporary Files folder. Within that folder there is the
    Content.IE5 folder and then 4 folders within that one with folder names like
    0L23GH6F. When I try to delete the entire Temporary Internet File folder or
    any of the sub folders I get the following error:
    Error Deleting File or Folders
    Cannot Delete SITE_M~1.HTM
    Make sure you specify the correct path and filename.

    I went through each folder and deleted all the files except for the the four
    ..htm files that won't delete in the folders under the Temporary Internet
    Files folder. I've tried rebooting and that hasn't worked, using a spider
    HD cleaner and that hasn't worked either. Has anyone encountered something
    similar and know how I can delete these folders out of my Temp folder.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    -D-

    -D-, Nov 12, 2003

  2. -D-

    JS Guest

    yes, i have the same problem in Win 98 - i can't delete these folders, i get
    a message like "desktop.ini is a system file".
    the folders i can't delete are:

    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\AZXAHR4K
    C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\MBI3HSOB
    etc.
    there are four of them. i can manually delete all these files except
    desktop.ini.
    also, i have my IE 6.0 options set to "delete temporary files on exit". but
    that doesn't seem to be working either. any suggestions?

    regards,
    js.

    JS, Nov 12, 2003

  3. -D-

    Anon Guest

    Try renaming the stubborn file with extension .txt then you can delete it
    with no resistance. :)

    I have on occasion come across some temp internet files or folders that
    would
    not let me delete them and I renamed them or moved them and the problem
    went away.

    :) Give it a try

    Anon, Nov 12, 2003
  4. -D-

    -D- Guest

    Hi Anon,
    I did try to rename the files, but I couldn't even do that. The files
    are locked and I can't move them, rename, delete or anything. It's really
    frustrating. Do you think if I went into safe mode that I could rename the
    files, log back on and delete them then? It was something I just thought
    about?? Or, any other thoughts? Thanks for the help:)
    -D-

    -D-, Nov 12, 2003
  5. -D-

    AG Guest

    If your drive is formatted NTFS then you can't do it from DOS even. You
    might try one of the internet cleaning programs, I ran into one last month
    that was free but can't for the life of me remember where.
    You might just have to live with it.
    AG

    AG, Nov 12, 2003
  6. -D-

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 17:41:31 -0600, "AG" <> wrote:

    >If your drive is formatted NTFS then you can't do it from DOS even.

    There are boot disks available thart can read and write to NTFS
    partitions.They do cost money though.

    www.ntfs.com/boot-disk.htm

    Bret, Nov 13, 2003
  7. -D-

    AG Guest

    OO OO I want one. But I want a laptop more. O well I can wait.
    AG

    AG, Nov 13, 2003