Deleting temp internet files

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by mto, Aug 29, 2003.

  1. mto

    mto Guest

    "Tom Williams" <> wrote in message
    > How do I get the directory called "C:\windows\temporary internet
    > files" to list when I'm using the Dos Prompt?
    >
    > I want to erase all files in this directory every time I boot up or
    > shut down. I'm trying to protect myself against malicious java
    > scripts.
    >
    > But I cannot list this directory using the Dos Prompt and so a .bat
    > will not do the erasing. The Windows Disk Cleanup function does *not*
    > clean files from this directory. I can only access this directory
    > manually using Windows "My Computer" file manager.
    >
    > Thanks. Tom Williams
    > Win98
    > Pentium computer

    That seems like a WHOLE lot of BS to save yourself a single button click.
    Disconnect, Choose Tools/Options and you'll find the Delete Temp Files
    button directly in front of your face. Or get Spybot Search and Destroy,
    set it to run at startup and then scrub the files.

    mto, Aug 29, 2003

  2. mto

    Pop Guest

    (Tom Williams) wrote in news:3f4ee9cc.3072827
    @news4.sucknews.com:

    > How do I get the directory called "C:\windows\temporary internet
    > files" to list when I'm using the Dos Prompt?
    >
    > I want to erase all files in this directory every time I boot up or
    > shut down. I'm trying to protect myself against malicious java
    > scripts.

    See if you can find TweakUI. I believe it has a provision to clean that
    and other folders on startup. But I also believe IE has a setting to clean
    the folder as well on exit.

    Tom Williams, Aug 29, 2003
  4. mto

    IanDunbar Guest

    > How do I get the directory called "C:\windows\temporary internet
    > files" to list when I'm using the Dos Prompt?
    >
    > I want to erase all files in this directory every time I boot up or
    > shut down. I'm trying to protect myself against malicious java
    > scripts.
    >
    > But I cannot list this directory using the Dos Prompt and so a .bat
    > will not do the erasing. The Windows Disk Cleanup function does *not*
    > clean files from this directory. I can only access this directory
    > manually using Windows "My Computer" file manager.

    Hi Tom,

    To clear out history, temp internet files, cookies and temp folder on every
    re-boot. edit your Autoexec.bat and copy/paste in these lines or a
    combination of them if you don't want all of these folders cleared.

    DELTREE /y c:\windows\history\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\tempor~1\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\temp\*.* > NUL
    DELTREE /y c:\windows\cookies\*.* > NUL

    Notice the "tempor~1", this is the temporary internet files folder, DOS can
    only handle files with 8 characters, anything longer than this and it takes
    the first six chars and adds ~# after. Try doing dir /p from c:/windows in
    dos, press a key to scroll down page by page and you'll find it.

    This works fine and will clear out the (protected) files that cannot be
    deleted whilst you're in windows.

    One small thing to remember though, some installation programs use the Temp
    folder to store things that are needed to complete the install after a
    re-boot. To overcome this you can place a REM before the DELTREE /y
    c:\windows\temp\*.* > NUL before you install anything and change it back
    afterwards or just leave this line out all together and clear temp manually
    every now and again.

    HTH

    Ian

    IanDunbar, Aug 29, 2003
  5. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:51:23 GMT, Tom Williams wrote:

    >How do I get the directory called "C:\windows\temporary internet
    >files" to list when I'm using the Dos Prompt?

    c:\>dir c:\windows\"temporary internet files"\*.*

    you just have to enclose the multi-word directory name in " "

    Chiron Paixos, Aug 29, 2003
  6. On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 08:30:47 +0100, "IanDunbar"
    <> wrote:

    >To clear out history, temp internet files, cookies and temp folder on every
    >re-boot. edit your Autoexec.bat and copy/paste in these lines or a
    >combination of them if you don't want all of these folders cleared.
    >
    >DELTREE /y c:\windows\history\*.* > NUL
    >DELTREE /y c:\windows\tempor~1\*.* > NUL
    >DELTREE /y c:\windows\temp\*.* > NUL
    >DELTREE /y c:\windows\cookies\*.* > NUL

    <snip>

    Another option is to set up a Ram Disk and move your temp int. files
    there.
    I believe you can move other system directories there too, with a spot
    of registry tweaking.

    The whole lot gets cleared with each reboot.

    If you're unable to set up a ram disk yourself there's a very neat (
    and free ) program to do it for you, called RamDrive

    http://www.speedmedic.com

    Regards,

    www.shwoodwind.co.uk

    Stephen Howard, Aug 29, 2003
  7. mto

    IanDunbar Guest

    "Graeme" <graeme"add23after graeme"@ go.com> wrote in message

    > Why not just go to IE Tool/Internet Options/General/Under Temp Internet
    > Files click delete. You can do the same for Cookies and History.
    > Further if you go to IE /Tools/Int Options/Advanced then scroll down to
    > where if you wish you can tick 'Empty Temp Int Files Folder when Browser
    > closes."
    > Seems much simpler to me

    Clearing them from DOS removes the protected files that are left behind if
    you use the windows method. Depends on how thorough you want to be (how
    paranoid you are). ;o)

    Ian

    IanDunbar, Aug 29, 2003
  8. mto

    [ Doc Jeff ] Guest

    Williams) wrote:

    >How do I get the directory called "C:\windows\temporary internet
    >files" to list when I'm using the Dos Prompt?

    dir -s \windows\tempor~1

    >I want to erase all files in this directory every time I boot up or
    >shut down. I'm trying to protect myself against malicious java
    >scripts.

    That's a lot of effort when you can just have IE delete temporary
    files when you shut IE down.

    >But I cannot list this directory using the Dos Prompt and so a .bat
    >will not do the erasing. The Windows Disk Cleanup function does *not*
    >clean files from this directory. I can only access this directory
    >manually using Windows "My Computer" file manager.

    simple batch file for this:

    @echo off
    echo Cleaning temporary internet files
    cd \windows\tempor~1
    deltree /y *
    cd ..
    echo Finished, whew! I need a beer!

    [ Doc Jeff ], Aug 29, 2003
  9. mto

    Graeme Guest

    "IanDunbar" <> wrote in message
    > "Graeme" <graeme"add23after graeme"@ go.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> Why not just go to IE Tool/Internet Options/General/Under Temp
    >> Internet Files click delete. You can do the same for Cookies and
    >> History.
    >> Further if you go to IE /Tools/Int Options/Advanced then scroll down
    >> to where if you wish you can tick 'Empty Temp Int Files Folder when
    >> Browser closes."
    >> Seems much simpler to me

    > Clearing them from DOS removes the protected files that are left
    > behind if you use the windows method. Depends on how thorough you
    > want to be (how paranoid you are). ;o)
    >
    > Ian

    You may well be right from a Privacy point of view ,my main aim in deleting
    such files is to reduce clutter though I thought that deleting correctly
    through Windows did also remove the references from the Index Dat files as
    well. This I understand does not happen if the files are deleted
    individually by manual method.

    Graeme

    Graeme, Aug 30, 2003
  10. mto

    Pop Guest

    Twisted <> wrote in news:vktllcjmmddof7
    @corp.supernews.com:

    > Or you could try making the folder read only.

    I tried that with the cookies folder and, on my 98 and ME boxen, the
    setting kept reverting. It doesn't revert on my XP here or on the NT work
    machine.

    Pop, Aug 30, 2003