    rather just be able to delete message just as I can in the e-mail
    reader.

    No can do?

    Jim, Mar 8, 2005

  2. Jim wrote:
    > Thought I'd give T-bird a whirl for newgroups (been using the paid for
    > Agent). Now, I can't seem to find out how to delete only selected
    > read or unread messages. I can see how to copy messages to folders,
    > which is what I want to do. And I suppose I can make the option then
    > to keep only messages matching a certain criteria. But I'd really
    > rather just be able to delete message just as I can in the e-mail
    > reader.
    >
    > No can do?

    Well, in newsgroups, the message bodies are stored on the server, so you
    can't really delete them. You can mark them as read, then view unread
    messages, so the read messages are hidden from you.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 8, 2005

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 05:30:01 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> Thought I'd give T-bird a whirl for newgroups (been using the paid for
    >> Agent). Now, I can't seem to find out how to delete only selected
    >> read or unread messages. I can see how to copy messages to folders,
    >> which is what I want to do. And I suppose I can make the option then
    >> to keep only messages matching a certain criteria. But I'd really
    >> rather just be able to delete message just as I can in the e-mail
    >> reader.
    >>
    >> No can do?

    >Well, in newsgroups, the message bodies are stored on the server, so you
    >can't really delete them. You can mark them as read, then view unread
    >messages, so the read messages are hidden from you.
    >
    >Lee

    Well in Agent I can do a "delete" from the list of downloaded headers
    and bodies, which will not reappear if I download headers again. So I
    guess I will stick with Agent as my newsreader.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 8, 2005
  4. Jim wrote:
    > On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 05:30:01 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Jim wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thought I'd give T-bird a whirl for newgroups (been using the paid for
    >>>Agent). Now, I can't seem to find out how to delete only selected
    >>>read or unread messages. I can see how to copy messages to folders,
    >>>which is what I want to do. And I suppose I can make the option then
    >>>to keep only messages matching a certain criteria. But I'd really
    >>>rather just be able to delete message just as I can in the e-mail
    >>>reader.
    >>>
    >>>No can do?

    >>Well, in newsgroups, the message bodies are stored on the server, so you
    >>can't really delete them. You can mark them as read, then view unread
    >>messages, so the read messages are hidden from you.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > Well in Agent I can do a "delete" from the list of downloaded headers
    > and bodies, which will not reappear if I download headers again. So I
    > guess I will stick with Agent as my newsreader.
    >
    > Jim

    In Thunderbird, a downloaded header marked as read, will not be
    redownloaded either. If you then set TB to display only unread
    messages, or threads with unread messages, these messages will be
    invisible to you.

    I'm guessing Agent does something similar to that, though fancier. If
    it truly deleted the header, it would be redownloaded. Agent must hide
    the header from view, but retain it, or enough of it, to compare with
    the messages on the server, to prevent it from being downloaded again.
    Thunderbird sort of does that, as I have described.

    I tried Agent a while back, and was not impressed, mostly because of its
    faults as a mail client. Thunderbird, while a very good mail client,
    has quite a ways to go as a newsreader. I really wanted one ap that
    would do both, and TB was a better compromise from my perspective.

    For a power newsgroup user though, a client that is designed primarily
    for news, such as Agent would be a better fit.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Mar 8, 2005

    Luis P. Mendes, Mar 8, 2005
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 15:17:38 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 05:30:01 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>Well, in newsgroups, the message bodies are stored on the server, so you
    >>>can't really delete them. You can mark them as read, then view unread
    >>>messages, so the read messages are hidden from you.
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >> Well in Agent I can do a "delete" from the list of downloaded headers
    >> and bodies, which will not reappear if I download headers again. So I
    >> guess I will stick with Agent as my newsreader.
    >>
    >> Jim

    >In Thunderbird, a downloaded header marked as read, will not be
    >redownloaded either. If you then set TB to display only unread
    >messages, or threads with unread messages, these messages will be
    >invisible to you.
    >
    >I'm guessing Agent does something similar to that, though fancier. If
    >it truly deleted the header, it would be redownloaded. Agent must hide
    >the header from view, but retain it, or enough of it, to compare with
    >the messages on the server, to prevent it from being downloaded again.
    >Thunderbird sort of does that, as I have described.
    >
    >I tried Agent a while back, and was not impressed, mostly because of its
    >faults as a mail client. Thunderbird, while a very good mail client,
    >has quite a ways to go as a newsreader. I really wanted one ap that
    >would do both, and TB was a better compromise from my perspective.
    >
    >For a power newsgroup user though, a client that is designed primarily
    >for news, such as Agent would be a better fit.
    >
    >Lee

    Agent actually keeps track of message #s (I'm assuming these are
    assigned by the news server) and once you download and delete it it
    will not download it again. There's an index file of some sort that
    keeps track of these things (it used to be readable, but is not now)

    Yeah, I agree about Agent's lack of ability as an e-mail client, in
    fact it cannot be used to receive mail.

    What I want to do is permanently save certain messages and threads and
    not others so displaying only unread messages does not work. Guess I
    will stick with Agent for newsgroups.

    Thanks to all.
    Jim
    Jim

    Jim, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 19:31:22 +0000, "Luis P. Mendes"
    <> wrote:

    The problem here is I want to keep some messages permanently so I
    cannot set a pirge parameter & would have eventually a huge cache of
    unfollowed threads. I could manually copy desired messages into a
    separate folder, but frankly it's easier to stick with Agent.

    Jim

    Jim, Mar 9, 2005