    wondering if I
    can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
    something else?
    Buckwheat, Feb 27, 2005

  2. Buckwheat wrote:
    > About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was wreaking
    > havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
    > tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after running
    > Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
    > remaining on my machine.
    >
    > The file path is:
    >
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
    > indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
    >
    > I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
    > wondering if I
    > can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
    > something else?

    I'd back up the registry and delete that part. I assume that you've
    gotten rid of the .com file itself?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 27, 2005

  3. Buckwheat

    127.0.0.1 Guest

    "Buckwheat" <> wrote in message
    > About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
    > wreaking
    > havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
    > tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
    > running
    > Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
    > remaining on my machine.
    >
    > The file path is:
    >
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
    > indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
    >
    > I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
    > wondering if I
    > can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
    > something else?

    delete it...

    in most cases, deleting non essentials will reset it to default registry
    settings

    just don't delete the hive...

    -a|ex
    127.0.0.1, Feb 27, 2005
  4. Buckwheat

    THEOLDONE Guest

    THEOLDONE, Feb 27, 2005
  5. Buckwheat

    philo Guest

    "Buckwheat" <> wrote in message
    > About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was

    wreaking
    > havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
    > tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after

    running
    > Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
    > remaining on my machine.
    >
    > The file path is:

    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
    > indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
    >
    > I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
    > wondering if I
    > can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it with
    > something else?

    although editing the registry can be dangerous
    that xxxtoolbar entry is one you can just plain delete
    philo, Feb 27, 2005
  6. Buckwheat

    Vanguard Guest

    "Buckwheat" <> wrote in message
    > About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
    > wreaking
    > havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus
    > removal
    > tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
    > running
    > Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the
    > infection
    > remaining on my machine.
    >
    > The file path is:
    >
    > HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
    > indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
    >
    > I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
    > wondering if I
    > can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it
    > with
    > something else?

    You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
    Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
    SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
    Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
    does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
    Restricted Sites security zone.

    Vanguard, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Vanguard wrote:
    > "Buckwheat" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
    >> wreaking
    >> havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus removal
    >> tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
    >> running
    >> Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the infection
    >> remaining on my machine.
    >>
    >> The file path is:
    >>
    >> HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
    >>
    >> indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    >> Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
    >>
    >> I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
    >> wondering if I
    >> can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it
    >> with
    >> something else?
    >>

    > You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
    > Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
    > SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
    > Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
    > does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
    > Restricted Sites security zone.

    I wondered about that too, but my registry entries from Spybot have a
    different syntax, so maybe it was SWB.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 28, 2005
  8. Buckwheat

    Buckwheat Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    > "Buckwheat" <> wrote in message
    > > About 3 days ago I picked up a nasty little computer virus that was
    > > wreaking
    > > havoc on my machine;with the help of many spyware,adware & virus
    > > removal
    > > tools I was able to partially rid myself of this pest.However,after
    > > running
    > > Spybot Search & Destroy I noticed I still have a remnant of the
    > > infection
    > > remaining on my machine.
    > >
    > > The file path is:

    HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-3675345140-3685698554-67682326-1006\Software\Microsoft\W
    > > indows\CurrentVersion\Internet
    > > Settings\ZoneMap\Domains\xxxtoolbar.com\*!=W=4
    > >
    > > I am a complete novice when dealing with registry settings and I am
    > > wondering if I
    > > can just delete this entry in the registry or do I have to replace it
    > > with
    > > something else?
    > >

    > You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
    > Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
    > SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
    > Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
    > does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
    > Restricted Sites security zone.

    I don't know.
    FWIW,when I open this key from regedit there are probably a couple hundred
    websites listed beneath this key.
    Is that what you mean?
    Buckwheat, Feb 28, 2005
  9. Buckwheat wrote:
    > "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    >>You sure you didn't use Spybot or SpywareBlaster to add domains to your
    >>Restricted Sites security zone? I use both of those utilities.
    >>SpywareBlaster lets you add its long list of "bad" sites into the
    >>Restricted Sites security zone. Spybot has its Immunize feature that
    >>does the same thing. A value of 4 means that domain is in the
    >>Restricted Sites security zone.
    >>

    > I don't know.
    > FWIW,when I open this key from regedit there are probably a couple hundred
    > websites listed beneath this key.
    > Is that what you mean?

    The first time I went through a customer's registry and found a list a
    mile long of some of the shittiest looking web addresses, I thought what
    a creepy life they must have. Later I realized that it was just known
    bad domains getting restricted by a good anti-spyware. Sounds like what
    you have there.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 2, 2005