    this history or prevent others
    from seeing it?
    , Jun 26, 2007

  2. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-06-26, <> wrote:
    > When Profile is selected in Google Newsgroups, all your previous
    > postings appear. When you post a new
    > message, these postings are available for anyone to see. It's not
    > that I'm impolite or flame anyone, but
    > I don't particularly like the idea of everyone being able to see what
    > I've written in the past. Maybe I didn't
    > express myself clearly or think things out too well and if the
    > messages had been handwritten I would
    > have crumpled them up and tossed them. Is there any way to remove
    > this history or prevent others
    > from seeing it?

    As far as Google's own archive is concerned, you can 'nuke' your own
    posts using <http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove>.

    You might find this interesting too
    <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46487&query=no+archive&topic=&type=>
    or <http://shurl.net/4DR> for short.

    None of that will have any effect on any other usenet archive or
    news-server, of course.

    You might like to click around in the various Help and FAQ options provided
    by Google, and also to learn the difference between a usenet newsgroup and
    a Google Group - you can access both using Google's web forum interface,
    and the difference isn't clearly indicated, but they are very different
    things. 24hoursupport.helpdesk is a usenet newsgroup, and has nothing at
    all to do with Google (or with vBulletin or Interbbs or Talkabout or any
    other web forum interface to usenet).

    Newcomers to newsgroups should start here

    <http://computer.howstuffworks.com/newsgroup.htm>

    and here

    <http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/>, the Official Home Page of the
    newsgroup called news.newusers.questions.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jun 26, 2007

  3. jlone Guest

    On Jun 26, 8:20 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On 2007-06-26, <> wrote:
    >
    > > When Profile is selected in Google Newsgroups, all your previous
    > > postings appear. When you post a new
    > > message, these postings are available for anyone to see. It's not
    > > that I'm impolite or flame anyone, but
    > > I don't particularly like the idea of everyone being able to see what
    > > I've written in the past. Maybe I didn't
    > > express myself clearly or think things out too well and if the
    > > messages had been handwritten I would
    > > have crumpled them up and tossed them. Is there any way toremove
    > > this history or prevent others
    > > from seeing it?

    > As far as Google's ownarchiveis concerned, you can 'nuke' your own
    > posts using <http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove>.
    >
    > You might find this interesting too
    > <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46487&query=no+...>
    > or <http://shurl.net/4DR> for short.
    >
    > None of that will have any effect on any otherusenetarchiveor
    > news-server, of course.
    >
    > You might like to click around in the various Help and FAQ options provided
    > by Google, and also to learn the difference between ausenetnewsgroup and
    > a Google Group - you can access both using Google's web forum interface,
    > and the difference isn't clearly indicated, but they are very different
    > things. 24hoursupport.helpdesk is ausenetnewsgroup, and has nothing at
    > all to do with Google (or with vBulletin or Interbbs or Talkabout or any
    > other web forum interface tousenet).

    I've tried using http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove but it
    doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
    on usenet more than 10 years ago. Has anyone had any success with this
    self-removal function on Google?

    jlone, Jul 11, 2007
  4. jlone Guest

    Has anyone had success in using Google's removal request function? I
    posted some stuff on usenet more than 10 years ago and I am having
    trouble getting Google to recognize the email I used. Please please
    advise!

    jlone, Jul 11, 2007
  5. Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I've tried using http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove but it
    > doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
    > on usenet more than 10 years ago. Has anyone had any success with this
    > self-removal function on Google?

    First rule of communications is to NEVER Post anything you would not
    want the public to read/see some point.

    --
    Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)

    and put on his website: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.
    Leythos, Jul 11, 2007
  6. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-11, jlone <> wrote:
    > On Jun 26, 8:20 am, Whiskers <> wrote:
    >> On 2007-06-26, <> wrote:

    [...]

    > I've tried using http://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_remove but it
    > doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
    > on usenet more than 10 years ago.

    What do you mean by 'it doesn't accept ...'?

    > Has anyone had any success with this
    > self-removal function on Google?

    I have.

    If you can't get it to work for you, try
    <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/request.py>.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 11, 2007
  7. iL_weReo Guest

    On Jul 11, 9:49 am, Leythos <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >
    > > I've tried usinghttp://groups.google.com/groups/msgs_removebut it
    > > doesn't work. It doesn't accept the email address that I used to post
    > > on usenet more than 10 years ago. Has anyone had any success with this
    > > self-removal function on Google?

    > First rule of communications is to NEVER Post anything you would not
    > want the public to read/see some point.
    >
    > --
    > Leythos - (remove 999 to email me)
    >
    > Learn more about PCBUTTS1 and his antics and ethic and his perversion
    > with Porn and Filth. Just take a look at some of the FILTH he's created
    > and put on his website:http://www.webservertalk.com/message1907860.html
    > 3rd link shows what he's exposed to children (the link I've include does
    > not directly display his filth). You can find the same information by
    > googling for 'PCBUTTS1' and 'exposed to kids'.

    What's so secretive that you don't want anyone to see?
    iL_weReo, Jul 11, 2007
  8. jlone Guest

    Thanks for the reply Whiskers. I get the following message after I
    sumbit the url/messageID (Step 2):

    "The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
    different email address than the one you specified and will not be
    removed."

    I've checked and rechecked the email address a million times,
    similarly with the url/messageID. I thought the problem was because my
    personal identity in the posts were xyz123 instead of xyz123 @
    unlv.edu,for example, But then I tried requesting the removal of a
    post by another person who had his full email address identified in
    the usenet post. Unfortunately, I got the same message again from
    Google saying that the email didn't match the post.

    Whiskers, how old were your posts? Were they posts on usenet or Google
    groups?

    Thanks

    jlone, Jul 12, 2007
  9. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-12, jlone <> wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply Whiskers. I get the following message after I
    > sumbit the url/messageID (Step 2):
    >
    > "The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
    > different email address than the one you specified and will not be
    > removed."
    >
    > I've checked and rechecked the email address a million times,
    > similarly with the url/messageID. I thought the problem was because my
    > personal identity in the posts were xyz123 instead of xyz123 @
    > unlv.edu,for example,

    Without knowing which posts you want to remove and exactly what email
    address you tried, no-one can see if there's a problem there. If you
    posted using an email address that is invalid, or which you no longer use,
    then Google's automated removal tool probably won't work. Then you need to
    provide some other way to convince Google that that the post you want
    removed was sent by you. See
    <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46493&query=remove&topic=&type=>

    I think the automatic removal tool may only work if you have a Google
    account that matches the email address you used to post the article, even
    if you didn't use Google's interface to post the article.

    > But then I tried requesting the removal of a
    > post by another person who had his full email address identified in
    > the usenet post. Unfortunately, I got the same message again from
    > Google saying that the email didn't match the post.

    Google will not allow you to remove a post unless they are convinced
    that you posted it.

    > Whiskers, how old were your posts?

    I've removed posts of varying ages at various times.

    > Were they posts on usenet or Google
    > groups?

    I don't think I've ever posted to a Google web-forum. I only very rarely
    post using the Google Groups interface, but I have been able to 'nuke'
    posts that I made using a normal news-server.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 12, 2007
  10. jlone Guest

    So I've done a little more digging and actually I could proceed to
    step 3 of the removal process for a post that is not mine, just to
    figure out why I couldn't do the same for my posts.

    First, let's look at a post where we can't get to step 3 of the
    removal process. (The poster of the message isn't me)

    Email address of the poster: (Step 1)
    message url: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.weightlifting/msg/98e95dfbeff1fb5b
    (Step 2)

    And go here to enter the info above: http://www.google.com/groups/msgs_remove

    The message I get is the same one that I'm geting when I try to delete
    my posts:
    "The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
    different email address than the one you specified and will not be
    removed."

    But if you look at the same post by the same guy (Nathan L. Clegg)
    within the same message thread but with a different email address, you
    can proceed to step 3!

    Email address of the poster: (Step 1)
    message url: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.weightlifting/msg/df40fc13041beead
    (Step 2)

    What is going on here? I can't for the life of me figure this one
    out.

    If you'd like to remove posts you made in the past, but the email
    account from which you posted is no longer accessible or valid, you
    may still be able to remove your posts.
    jlone, Jul 12, 2007
  11. jlone Guest

    Email address of the poster: nclegg @ io.com (Step 1)
    message url: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.weightlifting/msg/98e95dfbeff1fb5b
    (Step 2)

    And go here to enter the info above: http://www.google.com/groups/msgs_remove

    The message I get is the same one that I'm geting when I try to
    delete
    my posts:
    "The following Google Groups URLs or Message IDs were posted with a
    different email address than the one you specified and will not be
    removed."

    But if you look at the same post by the same guy (Nathan L. Clegg)
    within the same message thread but with a different email address, you
    can proceed to step 3!

    Email address of the poster: moramis @ mcmuse.mc.maricopa.edu (Step
    1)
    message url: http://groups.google.com/group/alt.sport.weightlifting/msg/df40fc13041beead
    (Step 2)

    Even if the first email address is no longer valid, one should still
    be able to remove it. After all, Google itself says:

    "If you'd like to remove posts you made in the past, but the email
    account from which you posted is no longer accessible or valid, you
    may still be able to remove your posts."

    Or maybe the first email address is a fake. But the one in my posts is
    real but I get the same message.

    What is going on here? I can't for the life of me figure this one out.
    If there are any bright techies out there who has an idea please let
    me know. This is really bugging me and probably many others out there.
    Thanks!

    jlone, Jul 12, 2007
  12. jlone Guest

    You know what? We don't even have to go back 13 years to illustrate my
    point. If we try to send in a request to remove the first message on
    this thread by "edwoods" we get the same problem; we can't get to step
    3 of the removal process.

    email address:
    message url: http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/f656ed4df4eb2ac4

    This actually applies to all the messages on this thread except for
    the ones posted by me.

    Question to all: Is there something fishy with yor email addresses or
    your personal identities?

    I'm just trying to see if the solution to this case might shed some
    light on the problem I'm having. Hope y'all might be able to help!
    jlone, Jul 12, 2007
  13. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-12, jlone <> wrote:
    > You know what? We don't even have to go back 13 years to illustrate my
    > point. If we try to send in a request to remove the first message on
    > this thread by "edwoods" we get the same problem; we can't get to step
    > 3 of the removal process.
    >
    > email address:
    > message url: http://groups.google.com/group/24hoursupport.helpdesk/msg/f656ed4df4eb2ac4
    >
    > This actually applies to all the messages on this thread except for
    > the ones posted by me.

    That is as it should be; only the person who posted the message should be
    able to remove it from Google's archive.

    > Question to all: Is there something fishy with yor email addresses or
    > your personal identities?
    >
    > I'm just trying to see if the solution to this case might shed some
    > light on the problem I'm having. Hope y'all might be able to help!

    It sounds as though you are able to nuke your own posts from this thread,
    but not any others. That is correct and proper and exactly what Google
    say.

    If there are other articles which were posted by you but which you can't
    nuke following the instructions in
    <http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=46493&query=remove&topic=&type=>
    then you need to contact Google using the 'Contact us' link at the foot of
    that page.

    This newsgroup has nothing to do with Google, so no-one here can help you
    make Google's system work if it isn't working for you.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 12, 2007
  14. jlone Guest

    Thanks again Whiskers for responding. It seems like you are the only
    person who is actually reading my frantic posts. Haha. I've sent a
    message to Google and awaiting a reply.

    In the meantime though, I just want to add that I've been able to
    proceed to Step 3, which is really the crux of the problem here, with
    another post you made, even though I have been unsuccessful with the
    ones you made on this thread.

    email:
    url: http://groups.google.com/group/uk.people.support.depression/msg/3e9c3ae62fe92f74

    I entered the info at: http://www.google.com/groups/msgs_remove

    Therefore, I am a little puzzled about what the difference may be. I
    realize this is not a 24hour help desk for Google specifically, but I
    thought that there may be some knowledgeable people lurking on this
    group who may be able to help. Apologies for the numerous posts.

    jlone, Jul 12, 2007
  15. Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-12, jlone <> wrote:
    > Thanks again Whiskers for responding. It seems like you are the only
    > person who is actually reading my frantic posts. Haha. I've sent a
    > message to Google and awaiting a reply.
    >
    > In the meantime though, I just want to add that I've been able to
    > proceed to Step 3, which is really the crux of the problem here, with
    > another post you made, even though I have been unsuccessful with the
    > ones you made on this thread.
    >
    > email:
    > url: http://groups.google.com/group/uk.people.support.depression/msg/3e9c3ae62fe92f74

    I do hope that you were not able to actually remove that article; it isn't
    yours to remove so Google shouldn't allow it.

    > I entered the info at: http://www.google.com/groups/msgs_remove
    >
    > Therefore, I am a little puzzled about what the difference may be. I
    > realize this is not a 24hour help desk for Google specifically, but I
    > thought that there may be some knowledgeable people lurking on this
    > group who may be able to help. Apologies for the numerous posts.

    If the Google web pages aren't working properly for you, only Google can
    do anything about it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Google's 'stuff'
    were less than totally consistent or reliable.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Jul 12, 2007
  16. jlone Guest

    On Jul 12, 6:56 pm, Whiskers <> wrote:
    > On 2007-07-12, jlone <> wrote:

    > I do hope that you were not able to actually remove that article; it isn't
    > yours to remove so Google shouldn't allow it.

    No no, I would never try to go through with the request. I was trying
    to see if I could get to Step 3, the verification part. That is the
    holy grail for me with respect to my own posts.

    > If the Google web pages aren't working properly for you, only Google can
    > do anything about it. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Google's 'stuff'
    > were less than totally consistent or reliable.

    You're probably right. It's so damn frustrating when it's impossible
    to talk to a live person at Google. I guess the little folks like us
    who don't directly generate revenues for the company don't count. If I
    were an advertiser, things would be different.
    jlone, Jul 13, 2007