    delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
    on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
    this enough?
    Toni B, Aug 23, 2006

  2. Toni B

    Alex Clayton Guest

    "Toni B" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
    > delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
    > on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
    > this enough?

    Not if a pro wants to see it. You could format the drive, and from what I
    have been told, people who know what they are doing could still see the info
    if they chose to. There are programs that will supposedly "scrub" the hard
    drive. There was a case here a while back where a former Sheriff turned out
    to be a Kiddie porn guy. They found it on his PC even after he had used one
    of these "scrubber" programs. Bottom line make sure you can trust the shop
    you are taking it to, or remove the hard drive first. This why when I toss
    an old computer I destroy the HD first.
    --
    "Little girls like butterflies, need no excuse".

    Lazarus Long
    Alex Clayton, Aug 23, 2006

  3. Toni B

    Amanda Guest

    Toni B wrote:
    > I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
    > delete personal info so that no one can read it?

    Take out the hard drive(s) and put a new hard drive, install OS in it
    and give them.

    > I have all my documents on cd's.

    Hey, these days, backing up data in an external hard drive is easy.
    Get a hard drive and get get USB/Firewire Hard drive enclosure and
    connect the two yourself rather than buying the external hard drive
    already in enclosure.

    Another option is to use those tiny size flash - USB drive - which are
    getting cheaper and cheaper.

    > They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
    > this enough?

    Most likely, if it is PC repair place, they won't waste time trying to
    retrieve what's been removed.
    Amanda, Aug 24, 2006
  4. Toni B

    Amanda Guest

    Amanda, Aug 24, 2006
  5. Toni B

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Toni B wrote in message <>...
    I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
    delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
    on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
    this enough?

    Sorry to break this to you, but the only sure way to delete data off of a fixed
    disk is to throw it into an incinerator and burn it, and even then I'd have my
    doubts. Not even low-level formatting can totally render the data unrecoverable
    by advanced techniques.
    Ernie Werbel, Aug 24, 2006
  6. Toni B

    Engineer Guest

    Delete all the files you want to get rid of and empty recycle bin.
    Download Eraser V5.6 and install it. It is free.
    Overwrite "Unused Disk Space" on all your drives.
    This will overwrite with random data.
    It takes a long time depending on the size of drive.

    Engineer, Aug 24, 2006
  7. Toni B

    JTJersey Guest

    On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 13:27:24 -0400, Toni B wrote:

    > I am taking my computer to be worked on and am wondering how I can
    > delete personal info so that no one can read it? I have all my documents
    > on cd's. They have been deleted and the recycle bin has been emptied. Is
    > this enough?

    Unless your taking your computer to the FBI then yes, that should suffice.
    If the information is sensitive then you should always erase, not just
    delete. A common program such as Directory Snoop can easily reclaim most
    deleted files. That being said, there's absolutely no reason that your
    repair shop should be poking around with recovery software. If you don't
    trust them don't go there. I rarely find it necessary to look at peoples
    Document or Picture folders to do a repair. Even if it's necessary to
    back-up information for a complete recovery all I need to see are folder
    names and then I put them back when I'm done and I always tell the
    customer first and get their permission. It's none of my business what's
    there. If your asking how to secure your hard drive from a dedicated
    search, that's a subject that could take quite a long time. Interesting
    stuff though.
    --
    Registered Linux User #267152
    JTJersey, Aug 25, 2006