    Any help appreciated.
    --
    So long and thanks for all the fish.
    graeme, Oct 16, 2005

  2. graeme wrote:
    > I have just purchased a new computer, but still run Win98. On my old
    > computer I was using Thunderbird 1.06 but on the new one I am using
    > Thunderbird 1.07. I have been using Thunderbird for years.
    >
    > My problem is that on the old computer after I had read a News Group and
    > closed it, all the messages were automatically deleted. Now if I use
    > the ALL view the messages are all still there. Does anyone know what I
    > need to do to delete these old messages?
    >
    > Any help appreciated.

    Are you downloading messages for offline viewing?

    If not, all the messages in a news group are stored on the server. You
    cannot delete them, but you can choose not to see them.

    Set your View settings to solve this. Your settings will depend on your
    preference.

    I prefer to view newsgroups with messages threaded, and to see only the
    threads with unread messages. To accomplish this:

    View>>Sort By>>Threaded
    Then:

    View>>Messages>>All

    Then:

    View>>Threads>>Threads with Unread

    You can play with the view settings to customize them. Easiest thing may
    be to look at the view settings on the old machine, then set them in the
    same way on the new machine.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 16, 2005

  3. graeme

    graeme Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > graeme wrote:
    >
    >> I have just purchased a new computer, but still run Win98. On my old
    >> computer I was using Thunderbird 1.06 but on the new one I am using
    >> Thunderbird 1.07. I have been using Thunderbird for years.
    >>
    >> My problem is that on the old computer after I had read a News Group
    >> and closed it, all the messages were automatically deleted. Now if I
    >> use the ALL view the messages are all still there. Does anyone know
    >> what I need to do to delete these old messages?
    >>
    >> Any help appreciated.

    > Are you downloading messages for offline viewing?
    >
    > If not, all the messages in a news group are stored on the server. You
    > cannot delete them, but you can choose not to see them.
    >
    > Set your View settings to solve this. Your settings will depend on your
    > preference.
    >
    > I prefer to view newsgroups with messages threaded, and to see only the
    > threads with unread messages. To accomplish this:
    >
    > View>>Sort By>>Threaded
    > Then:
    >
    > View>>Messages>>All
    >
    > Then:
    >
    > View>>Threads>>Threads with Unread
    >
    > You can play with the view settings to customize them. Easiest thing may
    > be to look at the view settings on the old machine, then set them in the
    > same way on the new machine.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks Lee but that is not the solution I am looking for. I use
    Broadband so I am always On Line and have never used the Local Folder.
    Are you saying that all messages are kept on your computer unless you
    use the Unread option?

    --
    So long and thanks for all the fish.
    graeme, Oct 16, 2005
  4. graeme wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> graeme wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have just purchased a new computer, but still run Win98. On my old
    >>> computer I was using Thunderbird 1.06 but on the new one I am using
    >>> Thunderbird 1.07. I have been using Thunderbird for years.
    >>>
    >>> My problem is that on the old computer after I had read a News Group
    >>> and closed it, all the messages were automatically deleted. Now if I
    >>> use the ALL view the messages are all still there. Does anyone know
    >>> what I need to do to delete these old messages?
    >>>
    >>> Any help appreciated.

    >> Are you downloading messages for offline viewing?
    >>
    >> If not, all the messages in a news group are stored on the server.
    >> You cannot delete them, but you can choose not to see them.
    >>
    >> Set your View settings to solve this. Your settings will depend on
    >> your preference.
    >>
    >> I prefer to view newsgroups with messages threaded, and to see only
    >> the threads with unread messages. To accomplish this:
    >>
    >> View>>Sort By>>Threaded
    >> Then:
    >>
    >> View>>Messages>>All
    >>
    >> Then:
    >>
    >> View>>Threads>>Threads with Unread
    >>
    >> You can play with the view settings to customize them. Easiest thing
    >> may be to look at the view settings on the old machine, then set them
    >> in the same way on the new machine.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks Lee but that is not the solution I am looking for. I use
    > Broadband so I am always On Line and have never used the Local Folder.
    > Are you saying that all messages are kept on your computer unless you
    > use the Unread option?

    Okay, if you are on broadband, you are not downloading for off line use,
    most likely.

    If you are not downloading for off line reading, no messages are stored
    on your machine at all. Only the headers are downloaded. The messages
    are stored on the news server, and you can only see them on line.

    You cannot delete messages from the server, but you can mark them as
    read. You can then select a view option that hides messages marked as read.

    The directions I gave were intended to set your View settings to see
    only the threads with messages you have not read.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 16, 2005
  5. graeme

    Z Guest

    graeme wrote:
    >> If not, all the messages in a news group are stored on the server.
    >> You cannot delete them, but you can choose not to see them.

    > Are you saying that all messages are kept on your computer unless you
    > use the Unread option?

    Messages are kept on the news server. You cannot delete them. You can
    issue cancels for your own, but quite a few news servers ignore cancels.
    Z, Oct 16, 2005
  6. graeme

    graeme Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > graeme wrote:

    >>> Are you downloading messages for offline viewing?
    >>>
    >>> If not, all the messages in a news group are stored on the server.
    >>> You cannot delete them, but you can choose not to see them.
    >>>
    >>> Set your View settings to solve this. Your settings will depend on
    >>> your preference.
    >>>
    >>> I prefer to view newsgroups with messages threaded, and to see only
    >>> the threads with unread messages. To accomplish this:
    >>>
    >>> View>>Sort By>>Threaded
    >>> Then:
    >>>
    >>> View>>Messages>>All
    >>>
    >>> Then:
    >>>
    >>> View>>Threads>>Threads with Unread
    >>>
    >>> You can play with the view settings to customize them. Easiest thing
    >>> may be to look at the view settings on the old machine, then set them
    >>> in the same way on the new machine.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks Lee but that is not the solution I am looking for. I use
    >> Broadband so I am always On Line and have never used the Local Folder.
    >> Are you saying that all messages are kept on your computer unless you
    >> use the Unread option?
    >>

    > Okay, if you are on broadband, you are not downloading for off line use,
    > most likely.
    >
    > If you are not downloading for off line reading, no messages are stored
    > on your machine at all. Only the headers are downloaded. The messages
    > are stored on the news server, and you can only see them on line.
    >
    > You cannot delete messages from the server, but you can mark them as
    > read. You can then select a view option that hides messages marked as read.
    >
    > The directions I gave were intended to set your View settings to see
    > only the threads with messages you have not read.
    >
    > Lee

    I have set the settings as they were on my old computer. With my ISP
    they download the messages, these are the ones that i want to delete.

    --
    So long and thanks for all the fish.
    graeme, Oct 16, 2005
  7. graeme wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> graeme wrote:

    >>> Thanks Lee but that is not the solution I am looking for. I use
    >>> Broadband so I am always On Line and have never used the Local
    >>> Folder. Are you saying that all messages are kept on your computer
    >>> unless you use the Unread option?
    >>>

    >> Okay, if you are on broadband, you are not downloading for off line
    >> use, most likely.
    >>
    >> If you are not downloading for off line reading, no messages are
    >> stored on your machine at all. Only the headers are downloaded. The
    >> messages are stored on the news server, and you can only see them on
    >> line.
    >>
    >> You cannot delete messages from the server, but you can mark them as
    >> read. You can then select a view option that hides messages marked as
    >> read.
    >>
    >> The directions I gave were intended to set your View settings to see
    >> only the threads with messages you have not read.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > I have set the settings as they were on my old computer. With my ISP
    > they download the messages, these are the ones that i want to delete.

    Somehow we are not understanding one another. Newsgroup message bodies
    are stored on the news server, not your local machine. You cannot
    delete them, you can only hide them from your view.

    The only thing actually downloaded are the message headers, so
    Thunderbird can see what's on the server. You can, however, choose to
    download message bodies for offline viewing, but you say you have not
    done this.

    I have no idea what you mean by "With my ISP they download the
    messages". If your ISP has some sort of newsgroup arrangement that is
    different then any other, I won't be able to help.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 16, 2005
  8. graeme

    graeme Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > graeme wrote:

    >>> Okay, if you are on broadband, you are not downloading for off line
    >>> use, most likely.
    >>>
    >>> If you are not downloading for off line reading, no messages are
    >>> stored on your machine at all. Only the headers are downloaded. The
    >>> messages are stored on the news server, and you can only see them on
    >>> line.
    >>>
    >>> You cannot delete messages from the server, but you can mark them as
    >>> read. You can then select a view option that hides messages marked as
    >>> read.
    >>>
    >>> The directions I gave were intended to set your View settings to see
    >>> only the threads with messages you have not read.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> I have set the settings as they were on my old computer. With my ISP
    >> they download the messages, these are the ones that i want to delete.
    >>

    > Somehow we are not understanding one another. Newsgroup message bodies
    > are stored on the news server, not your local machine. You cannot
    > delete them, you can only hide them from your view.
    >
    > The only thing actually downloaded are the message headers, so
    > Thunderbird can see what's on the server. You can, however, choose to
    > download message bodies for offline viewing, but you say you have not
    > done this.
    >
    > I have no idea what you mean by "With my ISP they download the
    > messages". If your ISP has some sort of newsgroup arrangement that is
    > different then any other, I won't be able to help.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for your patience Lee, I just unplugged my modem and although the
    headers were still there I was unable to read them so as you say the
    messages are stored on the server. On my old machine whenever i closed
    a news group the headers were automatically deleted. I obviously had a
    fault on my old machine. I can live using the unread option so I will
    live with it. Thanks again for your help.

    Graeme

    --
    So long and thanks for all the fish.
    graeme, Oct 17, 2005
  9. graeme wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> graeme wrote:

    >>> I have set the settings as they were on my old computer. With my ISP
    >>> they download the messages, these are the ones that i want to delete.
    >>>

    >> Somehow we are not understanding one another. Newsgroup message
    >> bodies are stored on the news server, not your local machine. You
    >> cannot delete them, you can only hide them from your view.
    >>
    >> The only thing actually downloaded are the message headers, so
    >> Thunderbird can see what's on the server. You can, however, choose to
    >> download message bodies for offline viewing, but you say you have not
    >> done this.
    >>
    >> I have no idea what you mean by "With my ISP they download the
    >> messages". If your ISP has some sort of newsgroup arrangement that is
    >> different then any other, I won't be able to help.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks for your patience Lee, I just unplugged my modem and although the
    > headers were still there I was unable to read them so as you say the
    > messages are stored on the server. On my old machine whenever i closed
    > a news group the headers were automatically deleted. I obviously had a
    > fault on my old machine. I can live using the unread option so I will
    > live with it. Thanks again for your help.
    >
    > Graeme

    I try to be patient, and it is no problem here.

    The headers won't be deleted until such time as you delete expired
    messages, which vary according to server. I still think that there is
    view setting you're missing here, but if you can live with this on this
    machine, I think we can emulate Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:

    "This case is closed!"

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 17, 2005
  10. graeme

    Nobody Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:23:07 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    wrote:

    >graeme wrote:

    >>> Somehow we are not understanding one another. Newsgroup message
    >>> bodies are stored on the news server, not your local machine. You
    >>> cannot delete them, you can only hide them from your view.
    >>>
    >>> The only thing actually downloaded are the message headers, so
    >>> Thunderbird can see what's on the server. You can, however, choose to
    >>> download message bodies for offline viewing, but you say you have not
    >>> done this.
    >>>
    >>> I have no idea what you mean by "With my ISP they download the
    >>> messages". If your ISP has some sort of newsgroup arrangement that is
    >>> different then any other, I won't be able to help.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> Thanks for your patience Lee, I just unplugged my modem and although the
    >> headers were still there I was unable to read them so as you say the
    >> messages are stored on the server. On my old machine whenever i closed
    >> a news group the headers were automatically deleted. I obviously had a
    >> fault on my old machine. I can live using the unread option so I will
    >> live with it. Thanks again for your help.
    >>
    >> Graeme
    >>

    >I try to be patient, and it is no problem here.
    >
    >The headers won't be deleted until such time as you delete expired
    >messages, which vary according to server. I still think that there is
    >view setting you're missing here, but if you can live with this on this
    >machine, I think we can emulate Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:
    >
    >"This case is closed!"
    >
    >Lee

    No, no, no! No such thing as "the Yukon". Local usage is simply
    <Yukon>!

    Similarly, you'll cause traffic jams in Admonton and other large
    places on the Canadian Prairies by referring to "The Ukraine".
    Nobody, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Nobody wrote:
    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:23:07 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> graeme wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your patience Lee, I just unplugged my modem and although the
    >>> headers were still there I was unable to read them so as you say the
    >>> messages are stored on the server. On my old machine whenever i closed
    >>> a news group the headers were automatically deleted. I obviously had a
    >>> fault on my old machine. I can live using the unread option so I will
    >>> live with it. Thanks again for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Graeme
    >>>

    >> I try to be patient, and it is no problem here.
    >>
    >> The headers won't be deleted until such time as you delete expired
    >> messages, which vary according to server. I still think that there is
    >> view setting you're missing here, but if you can live with this on this
    >> machine, I think we can emulate Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:
    >>
    >> "This case is closed!"
    >>
    >> Lee

    > No, no, no! No such thing as "the Yukon". Local usage is simply
    > <Yukon>!
    >
    > Similarly, you'll cause traffic jams in Admonton and other large
    > places on the Canadian Prairies by referring to "The Ukraine".

    You are correct, however, the old radio/early tv show was called "Sgt.
    Preston of _the_ Yukon". I'm just trying to be faithful to that.

    His lead sled dog was "Yukon King".

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Oct 18, 2005
  12. graeme

    gwtc Guest

    Nobody wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:23:07 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>graeme wrote:

    >>>Thanks for your patience Lee, I just unplugged my modem and although the
    >>>headers were still there I was unable to read them so as you say the
    >>>messages are stored on the server. On my old machine whenever i closed
    >>>a news group the headers were automatically deleted. I obviously had a
    >>>fault on my old machine. I can live using the unread option so I will
    >>>live with it. Thanks again for your help.
    >>>
    >>>Graeme
    >>>

    >>I try to be patient, and it is no problem here.
    >>
    >>The headers won't be deleted until such time as you delete expired
    >>messages, which vary according to server. I still think that there is
    >>view setting you're missing here, but if you can live with this on this
    >>machine, I think we can emulate Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:
    >>
    >>"This case is closed!"
    >>
    >>Lee

    > No, no, no! No such thing as "the Yukon". Local usage is simply
    > <Yukon>!
    >
    > Similarly, you'll cause traffic jams in Admonton and other large
    > places on the Canadian Prairies by referring to "The Ukraine".

    Admonton -- where is that? I've heard of Edmonton, but not Admonton
    gwtc, Oct 18, 2005
  13. graeme

    Moz Champion Guest

    OT Re: deleting old news messages

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:23:07 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    >> wrote:

    >>> I try to be patient, and it is no problem here.
    >>>
    >>> The headers won't be deleted until such time as you delete expired
    >>> messages, which vary according to server. I still think that there
    >>> is view setting you're missing here, but if you can live with this on
    >>> this machine, I think we can emulate Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:
    >>>
    >>> "This case is closed!"
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    >> No, no, no! No such thing as "the Yukon". Local usage is simply
    >> <Yukon>!
    >>
    >> Similarly, you'll cause traffic jams in Admonton and other large
    >> places on the Canadian Prairies by referring to "The Ukraine".

    > You are correct, however, the old radio/early tv show was called "Sgt.
    > Preston of _the_ Yukon". I'm just trying to be faithful to that.
    >
    > His lead sled dog was "Yukon King".
    >
    > Lee

    ARF!
    Moz Champion, Oct 19, 2005
  14. graeme

    Nobody Guest

    On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:59:29 -0700, gwtc
    <> wrote:

    >Nobody wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 02:23:07 GMT, Leonidas Jones <>
    >> wrote:

    >>>I try to be patient, and it is no problem here.
    >>>
    >>>The headers won't be deleted until such time as you delete expired
    >>>messages, which vary according to server. I still think that there is
    >>>view setting you're missing here, but if you can live with this on this
    >>>machine, I think we can emulate Sgt. Preston of the Yukon:
    >>>
    >>>"This case is closed!"
    >>>
    >>>Lee

    >> No, no, no! No such thing as "the Yukon". Local usage is simply
    >> <Yukon>!
    >>
    >> Similarly, you'll cause traffic jams in Admonton and other large
    >> places on the Canadian Prairies by referring to "The Ukraine".

    >Admonton -- where is that? I've heard of Edmonton, but not Admonton

    Anyone with any connection to Alberta's capital city will appreciate
    the joke. The "A" was deliberate.
    Nobody, Oct 20, 2005
  15. graeme

    gwtc Guest

    Nobody wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:59:29 -0700, gwtc
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Nobody wrote:

    >>>No, no, no! No such thing as "the Yukon". Local usage is simply
    >>><Yukon>!
    >>>
    >>>Similarly, you'll cause traffic jams in Admonton and other large
    >>>places on the Canadian Prairies by referring to "The Ukraine".

    >>Admonton -- where is that? I've heard of Edmonton, but not Admonton

    > Anyone with any connection to Alberta's capital city will appreciate
    > the joke. The "A" was deliberate.

    Well, I wouldn't know about Alberta jokes, after all I'm from
    Hongcouver, or Vangcouver -- aka Vancouver
    gwtc, Oct 20, 2005