Deleting NG messages?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by trout, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. trout

    trout Guest

    Murgi wrote:

    > My 24hourssupport.helpdesk folder contains thousands of messages
    > (Headers). Since I have already moved out all relevant messages, I
    > want to get rid of the remaining ones since it slows everything down.
    > How do I do that? Highlighting all of them in OE 6.0 and
    > right-clicking doesn't offer me the Delete function.
    > Please help me to do the necessary housecleaning...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Murgi

    Delete key. Or Edit menu.
    Better yet; if there's *nothing you want to keep; right-click the folder
    (on the folder list); Properties; Local File; Delete. Quicker.
    --
    "Compact the folder there, when you're done."

    Murgi, Mar 3, 2004

  3. trout

    Spider Guest

    Murgi wrote:
    > My 24hourssupport.helpdesk folder contains thousands of messages (Headers).
    > Since I have already moved out all relevant messages, I want to get rid of
    > the remaining ones since it slows everything down.
    > How do I do that? Highlighting all of them in OE 6.0 and right-clicking
    > doesn't offer me the Delete function.
    > Please help me to do the necessary housecleaning...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Murgi

    You don't delete them, they expire and go away according to your
    settings. I don't have OE available at the moment, but if I remember
    right that setting is in the news account properties under Tools /
    Accounts / News tab click "Properties" and look for the setting for the
    number of days to keep the posts.

    --

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1/spiderweb1.htm
    Spider, Mar 3, 2004
  4. trout

    Patrick Guest

    Murgi wrote:
    > My 24hourssupport.helpdesk folder contains thousands of messages
    > (Headers). Since I have already moved out all relevant messages, I
    > want to get rid of the remaining ones since it slows everything down.
    > How do I do that? Highlighting all of them in OE 6.0 and
    > right-clicking doesn't offer me the Delete function.
    > Please help me to do the necessary housecleaning...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Murgi

    click 'Tools' menu
    click 'Options'
    click 'Maintenance' tab
    Tick the box and adjust counter where says;
    [ ]Delete news messages [ ]days after being downloaded

    Do whatever else is required/appropriate on this (Maintainence) tab
    Patrick, Mar 3, 2004
  5. trout

    trout Guest

    Spider wrote:

    > Murgi wrote:
    >> My 24hourssupport.helpdesk folder contains thousands of messages
    >> (Headers). Since I have already moved out all relevant messages, I
    >> want to get rid of the remaining ones since it slows everything down.
    >> How do I do that? Highlighting all of them in OE 6.0 and
    >> right-clicking doesn't offer me the Delete function.
    >> Please help me to do the necessary housecleaning...
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >> Murgi
    >>

    > You don't delete them, they expire and go away according to your
    > settings. I don't have OE available at the moment, but if I remember
    > right that setting is in the news account properties under Tools /
    > Accounts / News tab click "Properties" and look for the setting for
    > the number of days to keep the posts.

    However; this function is only available if "Compact messages in
    background" is selected, which many people do not recommend.
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/files/maintain.htm
    --
    "Just thought it's worth a mention."
    trout, Mar 3, 2004