    groups which dealt with objectionable subjects.

    How is this done in Ver 3.3 ??
    , Nov 4, 2006

  2. wrote:

    > In older versions of Agent, one was able to delete selected newsgroups
    > from the newsgroup directory so that they would
    > no longer be shown in the directory. This was useful in deleting
    > groups which dealt with objectionable subjects.
    >
    > How is this done in Ver 3.3 ??

    Isn't what you want to describe here, simply "unsubscribe"?
    Walter Mautner, Nov 4, 2006

  3. Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:47:44 GMT, wrote:

    >In older versions of Agent, one was able to delete selected newsgroups
    >from the newsgroup directory so that they would
    >no longer be shown in the directory. This was useful in deleting
    >groups which dealt with objectionable subjects.
    >
    >How is this done in Ver 3.3 ??

    Right click > delete folder

    http://www.easynn.com
    , Nov 4, 2006
  4. Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:13:49 +0000, wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:47:44 GMT, wrote:
    >
    >>In older versions of Agent, one was able to delete selected newsgroups
    >>from the newsgroup directory so that they would
    >>no longer be shown in the directory. This was useful in deleting
    >>groups which dealt with objectionable subjects.
    >>
    >>How is this done in Ver 3.3 ??

    >Right click > delete folder

    I was not clear enough. I want to delete the newsgroup(folder) so that
    it no longer appears in the Newsgroup Directory under Tools. I do not
    want it to be accessable to any one using my Agent program for any
    reason' downloading, searching , whatever.

    Would appreciate further help. Tnx
    , Nov 4, 2006
  5. Guest

    On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 17:02:08 GMT, wrote:

    >On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:13:49 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:47:44 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>In older versions of Agent, one was able to delete selected newsgroups
    >>>from the newsgroup directory so that they would
    >>>no longer be shown in the directory. This was useful in deleting
    >>>groups which dealt with objectionable subjects.
    >>>
    >>>How is this done in Ver 3.3 ??

    >>Right click > delete folder

    >I was not clear enough. I want to delete the newsgroup(folder) so that
    >it no longer appears in the Newsgroup Directory under Tools. I do not
    >want it to be accessable to any one using my Agent program for any
    >reason' downloading, searching , whatever.
    >
    >Would appreciate further help. Tnx

    You can't delete the newsgroup from the directory. The list is a read
    only copy downloaded from the servers you are using. Older versions of
    Agent could delete from the copy.

    Somebody in alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent or
    alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent.modified may know a devious way
    of doing what you want.

    http://www.easynn.com
    , Nov 4, 2006
  6. wrote:

    > ... I do not want it to be accessable to any one using my Agent
    > program for any reason' downloading, searching , whatever.

    What sort of people do you allow to use your computer?

    If you are that concerned, set up individual logins/users, and you log
    off when you leave the computer.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 4, 2006
  7. Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-11-04, <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 16:13:49 +0000, wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 14:47:44 GMT, wrote:
    >>
    >>>In older versions of Agent, one was able to delete selected newsgroups
    >>>from the newsgroup directory so that they would
    >>>no longer be shown in the directory. This was useful in deleting
    >>>groups which dealt with objectionable subjects.
    >>>
    >>>How is this done in Ver 3.3 ??

    >>Right click > delete folder

    > I was not clear enough. I want to delete the newsgroup(folder) so that
    > it no longer appears in the Newsgroup Directory under Tools. I do not
    > want it to be accessable to any one using my Agent program for any
    > reason' downloading, searching , whatever.
    >
    > Would appreciate further help. Tnx

    Even if you do that, it won't stop anyone from subscribing to any of those
    newsgroups just by typing the name in manually, instead of using the
    newsgroup list to point and click at. It also won't stop anyone from
    installing a whole newsreader (and news-server accounts) of their own -
    possibly on a USB stick you wouldn't necessarily even know about. Kids
    are devious ;))

    The only fool-proof method to prevent access from your computer to a
    particular newsgroup, is to set things up so that all NNTP traffic is
    directed through a local news-server of your own whose 'groups list' and
    'filters' you control personally (and which no-one else has access to).

    You might also want to block access to web-based newsreading services such
    as Google Groups and Newsreader.com.

    I don't know how, or if, your operating system or network could manage that
    - if you have just the one Windows computer, connected directly to the internet
    with no router or gateway in between, then it may not be up to the job and
    you'll have to rely on self-control and parental supervision or trust.

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Nov 4, 2006