    window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
    get them to delete?

    Thanks, Windy

    hedding, Oct 21, 2007

  2. hedding wrote:
    > I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
    > read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
    > window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
    > get them to delete?
    >
    > Thanks, Windy

    of course they don't get deleted, because they're not on
    your computer, they're on the news server. If you don't
    want to see them, then click on View, Messages, Unread.

    disregarded!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Oct 21, 2007

  3. hedding

    Rom Guest

    On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:39:42 -0700, hedding wrote:

    > I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
    > read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
    > window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
    > get them to delete?

    For news server(s):

    Right-click on the news server in the folder/group pane
    OR
    Tools > Account Settings > <News Server name> > Offline & Disk Space

    --Disk Space--

    To recover disk space, old messages can be permanently deleted

    [x] Always delete read messages

    Leave the group and next time you reenter the group, the read
    headers/messages should be deleted.

    For group(s):

    Right-click on the group in the folder/group pane and open properties,
    then check the same setting as above on the Retention Policy tab.

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Oct 21, 2007
  4. hedding

    wrote:

    >I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
    >read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
    >window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
    >get them to delete?
    >
    >Thanks, Windy

    From what I see, you CAN NOT delete them. It says something to the
    effect "you are not the message sender and can not delete it". This
    is just one of many reasons I tried Thunderbird and after only a few
    hours of playing with it I removed it from my computer. I have used
    Agent for years, and just wanted to give Thunderbird a try. It's
    extremely weak compared to Agent, and I am using an old version of
    Agent. Obviously it can nto delete them from the server, but I just
    wanted to delete them from my own cache of the messages. I did read
    what others said, and yes, you can mark them read, but to me that's
    far too many steps and very lacking in features. When I hit the DEL
    key in Agent, the message is gone for good. Thats the way it should
    be. It's not unusual for some spammer to fill a newsgroup with 20
    spams, and when I want them off my screen, I expect them gone. I'll
    stick with Agent for the news. Mozilla had a great browser (Firefox),
    but their newsreader sucks. I did not even try the email features of
    Thunderbird since my email software is fine. So, my comments only
    reflect the newsgroup part.

    , Oct 22, 2007
  5. wrote:
    > On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:39:42 -0700, "hedding" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying out Thunderbird for the newsgroup. My problem is that when I
    >> read all the posts, I mark them as read, and they still remain in the
    >> window. They don't delete, and there is no way to delete them. How do I
    >> get them to delete?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Windy
    >>

    > From what I see, you CAN NOT delete them. It says something to the
    > effect "you are not the message sender and can not delete it". This
    > is just one of many reasons I tried Thunderbird and after only a few
    > hours of playing with it I removed it from my computer. I have used
    > Agent for years, and just wanted to give Thunderbird a try. It's
    > extremely weak compared to Agent, and I am using an old version of
    > Agent. Obviously it can nto delete them from the server, but I just
    > wanted to delete them from my own cache of the messages. I did read
    > what others said, and yes, you can mark them read, but to me that's
    > far too many steps and very lacking in features. When I hit the DEL
    > key in Agent, the message is gone for good. Thats the way it should
    > be. It's not unusual for some spammer to fill a newsgroup with 20
    > spams, and when I want them off my screen, I expect them gone. I'll
    > stick with Agent for the news. Mozilla had a great browser (Firefox),
    > but their newsreader sucks. I did not even try the email features of
    > Thunderbird since my email software is fine. So, my comments only
    > reflect the newsgroup part.

    From toolbar. View, Threads, Unread

    Invisible Man, Oct 22, 2007
  6. hedding

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 00:58:36 -0500, in message <>,
    wrote:

    > From what I see, you CAN NOT delete them. It says something to the
    > effect "you are not the message sender and can not delete it".

    In Thunderbird, the DEL key is the command to _cancel_ a message.

    When you try to _cancel_ someone else's message in Agent, you will
    see a very similar error: "You may not cancel a usenet message that
    you did not post."

    > This
    > is just one of many reasons I tried Thunderbird and after only a few
    > hours of playing with it I removed it from my computer. I have used
    > Agent for years, and just wanted to give Thunderbird a try. It's
    > extremely weak compared to Agent, and I am using an old version of
    > Agent. Obviously it can nto delete them from the server, but I just
    > wanted to delete them from my own cache of the messages.

    By default, Thunderbird does not have a cache of messages.
    Agent does, but Thunderbird is not Agent.

    Agent and Thunderbird are fundamentally two different types of
    news readers.

    1) Agent's default mode of operation is like an off-line reader.
    a. Once a message is downloaded, it stays in your local message
    store and can be read without downloading it again.
    b. You have to specifically request a message to be downloaded
    (this stops you accidentally filling your local message store).
    Simply selecting a message in the message list pane is not
    enough to download it.
    c. You can keep specific messages in the newsgroup indefinitely,
    well beyond the point where they are no longer on the server.

    2) Thunderbird's default mode of operation is like an on-line reader.
    a. By default, messages are not stored in your local message store.
    b. You select a message, Thunderbird automatically downloads it so
    that you can read it. You de-select the message (say by
    selecting a different message instead) and the first message's
    body is immediately purged from your PC. You select the first
    message again, and Thunderbird downloads it again.
    c. If you want to keep a message, you drag it from the newsgroup
    into a folder.

    Agent and Thunderbird have two entirely different models of operation.
    Whichever reader you use, you are going to have to adapt to using its
    model of operation.

    Thunderbird does have a setting to allow off-line reading, but it is
    not the default behaviour -- you have to specially configure Thunderbird
    to download messages into local data storage for off-line reading.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Oct 22, 2007