    on topic messages.

    Thanks,
    Bianca

    Rumpel, Feb 3, 2005

  2. Rumpel

    KeithS Guest

    Rumpel wrote:
    > Is there a way to deleten messages on newsgroups with Thunderbird? I

    In Mozilla (Tbird will be similar) pick on unwanted threads then
    Message/Ignore thread,
    also for wanted messages either Message/watch thread, and/or

    View/Threads select either Threads with Unread or Watched threads with
    unread (this last one will miss new interesting threads though)
    keithS

    KeithS, Feb 3, 2005

  3. Rumpel

    Z Guest

    Rumpel wrote:
    > Is there a way to deleten messages on newsgroups with Thunderbird? I
    > keep getting the message that it cannot be deleted since I'm not the
    > author. Problem is that some of the newsgroups I read get a lot of spam
    > messages lately and I want to delete those to make it easier to read the
    > on topic messages.

    Use a filter.

    Z, Feb 3, 2005
  4. Rumpel wrote:
    > Is there a way to deleten messages on newsgroups with Thunderbird? I
    > keep getting the message that it cannot be deleted since I'm not the
    > author. Problem is that some of the newsgroups I read get a lot of spam
    > messages lately and I want to delete those to make it easier to read the
    > on topic messages.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Bianca

    Newsgroup messages are stored on the server, so you cannot delete them.
    You can cancel messages you posted, though many servers do not honor
    cancel requests.

    Best you can do is to mark the message as read, then set your view
    options to one of the selections that will show only unread posts.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 3, 2005
  5. Rumpel

    Rumpel Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Rumpel wrote:
    >
    >> Is there a way to deleten messages on newsgroups with Thunderbird? I
    >> keep getting the message that it cannot be deleted since I'm not the
    >> author. Problem is that some of the newsgroups I read get a lot of
    >> spam messages lately and I want to delete those to make it easier to
    >> read the on topic messages.

    > Use a filter.

    Problem is that the poster of those spam messages are very inventive how
    they spell words, it would take too much time to keep making new filters
    (tried that already).

    Bianca

    Rumpel, Feb 3, 2005
  6. Rumpel

    Rumpel Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Newsgroup messages are stored on the server, so you cannot delete them.
    > You can cancel messages you posted, though many servers do not honor
    > cancel requests.

    True, but I just want them off my list. In OE you could delete messages
    from the list, now I can only mark them as read or flag them to be ignored.

    > Best you can do is to mark the message as read, then set your view
    > options to one of the selections that will show only unread posts.

    Tried that and did not like it, I like to be able to read back a thread
    if I need to without going through x messages before I find it.

    Hopefully the spam-wave will die out soon.

    Bianca

    Rumpel, Feb 3, 2005
  7. Rumpel

    Z Guest

    Rumpel wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to deleten messages on newsgroups with Thunderbird? I
    >>> keep getting the message that it cannot be deleted since I'm not the
    >>> author. Problem is that some of the newsgroups I read get a lot of
    >>> spam messages lately and I want to delete those to make it easier to
    >>> read the on topic messages.

    >> Use a filter.

    > Problem is that the poster of those spam messages are very inventive how
    > they spell words, it would take too much time to keep making new filters
    > (tried that already).

    What criteria were you planning to use for deleting them?

    Use the same one for filtering them.

    Z, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Rumpel

    Z Guest

    Rumpel wrote:
    > True, but I just want them off my list. In OE you could delete messages
    > from the list, now I can only mark them as read or flag them to be ignored.

    So filter based on subject. That'll remove the whole thread from your
    viewing list.

    Z, Feb 4, 2005
  9. Rumpel

    Nobody Guest

    On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 16:36:24 +0100, Rumpel <>
    wrote:

    >Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Newsgroup messages are stored on the server, so you cannot delete them.
    >> You can cancel messages you posted, though many servers do not honor
    >> cancel requests.
    >>

    >True, but I just want them off my list. In OE you could delete messages
    >from the list, now I can only mark them as read or flag them to be ignored.

    No, you weren't "deleting" messages... theyu live on forever more.

    Nobody, Feb 4, 2005