    EMail address is disposable and never checked.
    Outgoing message is certified VIRUS FREE by
    *me* using nothing more than common sense.
    Paul Blarmy, Sep 23, 2005

  2. On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:51:23 GMT Paul Blarmy <>
    wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >New Thunderbird user.
    >
    >I have it set on all of my accounts that mail over 50kb is not
    >downloaded. When I find a mail that is over 50kb but that I do not want
    >to have it, in my other email client (Courier) I could choose to delete
    >the message from the server without downloading any of it. It seems that
    >in Thunderbird I have to download first before deleting. Is this
    >correct? Is there a better way?
    >
    >TIA

    To the best of my knowledge T'bird does not have a mechanism to delete
    individual messages from the POP server. It is the lack of this feature
    which has kept me from switching to T'bird as my regular mail client. I
    can highly recommend Pop Peeper though, as I have been highly satisfied
    with it after using it for a couple of months now. Wish it were ported
    to Linux.

    http://www.poppeeper.com/

    --
    schrodinger's cat
    schrodinger's cat, Sep 24, 2005

  3. schrodinger's cat wrote:
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 17:51:23 GMT Paul Blarmy <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> New Thunderbird user.
    >>
    >> I have it set on all of my accounts that mail over 50kb is not
    >> downloaded. When I find a mail that is over 50kb but that I do not want
    >> to have it, in my other email client (Courier) I could choose to delete
    >> the message from the server without downloading any of it. It seems that
    >> in Thunderbird I have to download first before deleting. Is this
    >> correct? Is there a better way?
    >>
    >> TIA

    > To the best of my knowledge T'bird does not have a mechanism to delete
    > individual messages from the POP server. It is the lack of this feature
    > which has kept me from switching to T'bird as my regular mail client. I
    > can highly recommend Pop Peeper though, as I have been highly satisfied
    > with it after using it for a couple of months now. Wish it were ported
    > to Linux.
    >
    > http://www.poppeeper.com/

    Another alternative is PopTray:

    www.poptray.com

    Its an outstanding little app.

    Schrod, if you find a Linux equivalent, post it her, I would be most
    interested. The lack of something like PopTray keeps me booted to XP
    more then I might like. :)

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 24, 2005
  4. Paul Blarmy

    Paul Blarmy Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:07:42 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote...

    > Another alternative is PopTray:
    >
    > www.poptray.com

    I think you mean www.poptray.org :)

    Thanks for the response.

    Paul Blarmy, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Paul Blarmy

    Paul Blarmy Guest

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:01:03 -0400, schrodinger's cat wrote...

    > To the best of my knowledge T'bird does not have a mechanism to delete
    > individual messages from the POP server. It is the lack of this feature
    > which has kept me from switching to T'bird as my regular mail client.

    Ditto here. Oh, and the annoying bug which puts a '>' mark before new
    lines starting with the word 'From'.

    > http://www.poppeeper.com/

    Would ideally prefer to be able to do this within the one app, but
    thanks for the link anyway, I'll give it a go.

    Paul Blarmy, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Paul Blarmy

    wc Guest

    It's possible I'm a "johnny come lately" on this thread, and what I'm
    contributing here has nothing to do with the discussion.

    I use a program called Mail Washer. http://www.firetrust.com/
    When I want to check my email, to see what is on the server, I use keys
    Ctrl>Shift>M all together. That brings up Mail Washer with a list of
    what's there. It also discerns, as it learns, what is spam and marks
    it. If I see spam, I mark it, then download the mail to my computer.
    The mail that Firetrust knows is spam is gone, as is what I've
    designated. I can set the options to check it every 5 minutes, to any
    time period. To me, it's the slickets little mail peeper/getter/spam
    filter ever, and I would not be without it. I think it's from New
    Zealand. Check it out.

    WC
    wc, Sep 24, 2005
  7. Paul Blarmy

    V.O. Guest

    wc wrote:
    > It's possible I'm a "johnny come lately" on this thread, and what I'm
    > contributing here has nothing to do with the discussion.
    >
    > I use a program called Mail Washer. http://www.firetrust.com/
    > When I want to check my email, to see what is on the server, I use keys
    > Ctrl>Shift>M all together. That brings up Mail Washer with a list of
    > what's there. It also discerns, as it learns, what is spam and marks
    > it. If I see spam, I mark it, then download the mail to my computer.
    > The mail that Firetrust knows is spam is gone, as is what I've
    > designated. I can set the options to check it every 5 minutes, to any
    > time period. To me, it's the slickets little mail peeper/getter/spam
    > filter ever, and I would not be without it. I think it's from New
    > Zealand. Check it out.
    >

    > WC

    I use the same, and have for a while. It does more than simple stuff.
    They have two versions, free and advanced.
    V.O., Sep 24, 2005
  8. Paul Blarmy wrote:
    > On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 01:07:42 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote...
    >
    >> Another alternative is PopTray:
    >>
    >> www.poptray.com

    > I think you mean www.poptray.org :)
    >
    > Thanks for the response.

    Thanks for the correction, that, of course, is exactly what I meant.
    Thanks for reading my mind.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Sep 25, 2005
  9. Paul Blarmy

    Paul Blarmy Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 23:08:08 GMT, Leonidas Jones wrote...

    > Thanks for the correction, that, of course, is exactly what I meant.
    > Thanks for reading my mind.

    I knew you were going to write that :)

    Paul Blarmy, Sep 25, 2005