    XP, Outlook Express.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 1, 2012

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    news:k6sudu$5tv$...
    >I used to press delete on the keyboard or click delete on the screen. The
    >items would go into the Deleted items folder.
    >
    > Now each time I do either I get a box asking if I am sure I want to
    > permanently delete the items (read emails etc).
    >
    > I must have accidentally clicked the wrong thing. I recently cleared most
    > of the deleted items folder. Could that have done it?
    >
    > How do I get back to the old system please?
    >
    > XP, Outlook Express.
    >

    > Thank you
    > Geopelia

    It now seems to be working normally again! Whatever it was may have fixed
    itself. I haven't been using it for a few hours.
    This computer seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.
    Geopelia, Nov 1, 2012

  3. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "geoff" <> wrote in message

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>I used to press delete on the keyboard or click delete on the screen. The
    >>items would go into the Deleted items folder.
    >>
    >> Now each time I do either I get a box asking if I am sure I want to
    >> permanently delete the items (read emails etc).
    >>
    >> I must have accidentally clicked the wrong thing. I recently cleared most
    >> of the deleted items folder. Could that have done it?
    >>
    >> How do I get back to the old system please?
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express.

    > That message usually comes if you SHIFT | Delete (to permanently delete).
    > Is your SHIFT key stuck ?
    >
    > Or does a reboot fix things ?
    >
    > geoff

    Thank you.

    It's working well this morning. I probably clicked the wrong thing
    accidentally.
    Must have hit Delete.

    I've got a proper keyboard, but how do people manage with the small laptop
    keyboards? There must be a lot of accidents with those.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 1, 2012
  4. In article <k6tn4a$mj2$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:

    >"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>I used to press delete on the keyboard or click delete on the screen. The
    >>items would go into the Deleted items folder.
    >>
    >> Now each time I do either I get a box asking if I am sure I want to
    >> permanently delete the items (read emails etc).
    >>
    >> I must have accidentally clicked the wrong thing. I recently cleared most
    >> of the deleted items folder. Could that have done it?
    >>
    >> How do I get back to the old system please?
    >>
    >> XP, Outlook Express.
    >>

    >It now seems to be working normally again! Whatever it was may have fixed
    >itself. I haven't been using it for a few hours.
    >This computer seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

    Hi Geo

    You get the "do you really want to permanently delete" message if you hit
    the delete button while looking at your deleted items folder. :)
    That's "normal".

    I suggest you change your settings to "empty deleted items folder on exit"
    ... assuming you really do want to delete things you delete. That will mean
    that you only have things in your deleted items folder from that outlook
    session. You can still get them back if you need to ... but end of session
    really means end of the "deleted items" too. :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 5, 2012
  5. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:k76sv9$rd0$...
    > In article <k6tn4a$mj2$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >>"Geopelia" <> wrote in message
    >>>I used to press delete on the keyboard or click delete on the screen.
    >>>The
    >>>items would go into the Deleted items folder.
    >>>
    >>> Now each time I do either I get a box asking if I am sure I want to
    >>> permanently delete the items (read emails etc).
    >>>
    >>> I must have accidentally clicked the wrong thing. I recently cleared
    >>> most
    >>> of the deleted items folder. Could that have done it?
    >>>
    >>> How do I get back to the old system please?
    >>>
    >>> XP, Outlook Express.
    >>>

    >>It now seems to be working normally again! Whatever it was may have fixed
    >>itself. I haven't been using it for a few hours.
    >>This computer seems to have a mind of its own sometimes.

    > Hi Geo
    >
    > You get the "do you really want to permanently delete" message if you hit
    > the delete button while looking at your deleted items folder. :)
    > That's "normal".
    >
    > I suggest you change your settings to "empty deleted items folder on exit"
    > .. assuming you really do want to delete things you delete. That will mean
    > that you only have things in your deleted items folder from that outlook
    > session. You can still get them back if you need to ... but end of session
    > really means end of the "deleted items" too. :)

    Thank you. Yes, I delete items from the deleted items folder like that.

    It was happening while I was trying to send stuff to the deleted items
    folder, but it seems to have cleared itself now.
    I think clearing items from the deleted items folder might have left
    something stuck in the works somewhere, but I don't understand all the
    technical stuff inside the machine.

    I need to keep deleted items a while as I sometimes need them. Now and then
    I empty the whole folder.
    Emails to and from UK didn't get through a while ago, and had to be re sent.
    I think it must be the UK end, as emails from elsewhere were getting through
    all right.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Nov 5, 2012
  6. Geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    > I need to keep deleted items a while as I sometimes need them. Now
    > and then I empty the whole folder.

    BAD!

    Never keep stuff in the trash, do you keep your kitchen trash in two places
    and sift through it?
    Make a new folder and just drag possible deletions there.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 6, 2012
  7. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in
    >
    >> I need to keep deleted items a while as I sometimes need them. Now
    >> and then I empty the whole folder.

    > BAD!
    >
    > Never keep stuff in the trash, do you keep your kitchen trash in two
    > places
    > and sift through it?

    I compost it!
    But I have to check the waste paper bin, Hubby throws stuff out that is
    needed.

    > Make a new folder and just drag possible deletions there.

    That would just complicate things. I'd end up with two folders.
    Now unwanted Sent items go to the deleted items folder for a while. Then I
    delete them permanently.
    Geopelia, Nov 6, 2012
  8. Geopelia

    Enkidu Guest

    On 07/11/12 00:37, Geopelia wrote:
    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I need to keep deleted items a while as I sometimes need them. Now
    >>> and then I empty the whole folder.

    >> BAD!
    >>
    >> Never keep stuff in the trash, do you keep your kitchen trash in two
    >> places
    >> and sift through it?

    > I compost it!
    > But I have to check the waste paper bin, Hubby throws stuff out that is
    > needed.
    >
    >> Make a new folder and just drag possible deletions there.
    >>

    > That would just complicate things. I'd end up with two folders.
    > Now unwanted Sent items go to the deleted items folder for a while. Then I
    > delete them permanently.

    Hmm, I can see the argument on both sides of this, but I would say that
    to routinely keep deleted items in case you need them is risky, since
    you are using the deleted items folder as a safety measure.

    However, if it works for you Geo, the advantages to you may outweigh the
    risks. I would say that in a corporate environment it would be a
    definite no-no, but obviously that doesn't apply.

    There is an apocryphal story of the IT support person who was working on
    one lady's computer when he discovered that the Recycle Bin had tons of
    stuff in it so he emptied it. The user then complained that all her
    files had disappeared. It transpired that she had kept *all* her files
    in the Recycle Bin all neatly stored hierarchically.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    Enkidu, Nov 7, 2012
  9. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > On 07/11/12 00:37, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    >>> BAD!
    >>>
    >>> Never keep stuff in the trash, do you keep your kitchen trash in two
    >>> places
    >>> and sift through it?

    >> I compost it!
    >> But I have to check the waste paper bin, Hubby throws stuff out that is
    >> needed.
    >>
    >>> Make a new folder and just drag possible deletions there.
    >>>

    >> That would just complicate things. I'd end up with two folders.
    >> Now unwanted Sent items go to the deleted items folder for a while. Then
    >> delete them permanently.
    >>

    > Hmm, I can see the argument on both sides of this, but I would say that to
    > routinely keep deleted items in case you need them is risky, since you are
    > using the deleted items folder as a safety measure.
    >
    > However, if it works for you Geo, the advantages to you may outweigh the
    > risks. I would say that in a corporate environment it would be a definite
    > no-no, but obviously that doesn't apply.
    >
    > There is an apocryphal story of the IT support person who was working on
    > one lady's computer when he discovered that the Recycle Bin had tons of
    > stuff in it so he emptied it. The user then complained that all her files
    > had disappeared. It transpired that she had kept *all* her files in the
    > Recycle Bin all neatly stored hierarchically.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Oh dear! But anything I want to keep goes in a file somewhere else. The
    Recycle bin usually only has BAK files in it, and I empty those.
    Geopelia, Nov 7, 2012
  10. Geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    >> There is an apocryphal story of the IT support person who was working
    >> on one lady's computer when he discovered that the Recycle Bin had
    >> tons of stuff in it so he emptied it. The user then complained that
    >> all her files had disappeared. It transpired that she had kept *all*
    >> her files in the Recycle Bin all neatly stored hierarchically.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    > Oh dear! But anything I want to keep goes in a file somewhere else.
    > The Recycle bin usually only has BAK files in it, and I empty those.

    Geopelia, you continually impress me with your computer skills for someone
    who keeps insisting you don't "know" them.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 10, 2012
  11. In article <5099b459$>, Enkidu <> wrote:
    >On 07/11/12 00:37, Geopelia wrote:
    >> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in
    >>> BAD!
    >>> Never keep stuff in the trash, do you keep your kitchen trash in two
    >>> places
    >>> and sift through it?

    >> I compost it!
    >> But I have to check the waste paper bin, Hubby throws stuff out that is
    >> needed.
    >>> Make a new folder and just drag possible deletions there.

    >> That would just complicate things. I'd end up with two folders.
    >> Now unwanted Sent items go to the deleted items folder for a while. Then I
    >> delete them permanently.
    >>

    >Hmm, I can see the argument on both sides of this, but I would say that
    >to routinely keep deleted items in case you need them is risky, since
    >you are using the deleted items folder as a safety measure.

    Agreed. How about this ... if you think you might want something, don't
    delete it ? :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 12, 2012
  12. Geopelia

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote in
    >
    >>> There is an apocryphal story of the IT support person who was working
    >>> on one lady's computer when he discovered that the Recycle Bin had
    >>> tons of stuff in it so he emptied it. The user then complained that
    >>> all her files had disappeared. It transpired that she had kept *all*
    >>> her files in the Recycle Bin all neatly stored hierarchically.
    >>>
    >>> Cheers,
    >>>
    >>> Cliff
    >>>

    >> Oh dear! But anything I want to keep goes in a file somewhere else.
    >> The Recycle bin usually only has BAK files in it, and I empty those.
    >>

    > Geopelia, you continually impress me with your computer skills for someone
    > who keeps insisting you don't "know" them.

    I don't know anything much, just learning as something comes up.
    Stuff the various Help menus are no help with, so I ask here.

    I asked here some time ago what BAK files were, and somebody told me.
    So when the computer finishes what it does with the files now and then
    (compresses?) I delete the BAK files.
    Usually those are the only things in the recycle bin.
    Geopelia, Nov 12, 2012
  13. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:k7peqp$ucl$...
    > In article <5099b459$>, Enkidu
    > <> wrote:
    >>On 07/11/12 00:37, Geopelia wrote:
    >>> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >>> I compost it!
    >>> But I have to check the waste paper bin, Hubby throws stuff out that is
    >>> needed.
    >>> That would just complicate things. I'd end up with two folders.
    >>> Now unwanted Sent items go to the deleted items folder for a while. Then
    >>> delete them permanently.
    >>>

    >>Hmm, I can see the argument on both sides of this, but I would say that
    >>to routinely keep deleted items in case you need them is risky, since
    >>you are using the deleted items folder as a safety measure.

    > Agreed. How about this ... if you think you might want something, don't
    > delete it ? :)

    That would leave the Inbox and Sent items even more cluttered up than they
    are now.
    Geopelia, Nov 12, 2012
  14. In article <k7ql06$j3l$>, "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >in message news:k7peqp$ucl$...
    >> In article <5099b459$>, Enkidu
    >> <> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>Hmm, I can see the argument on both sides of this, but I would say that
    >>>to routinely keep deleted items in case you need them is risky, since
    >>>you are using the deleted items folder as a safety measure.

    >> Agreed. How about this ... if you think you might want something, don't
    >> delete it ? :)

    >That would leave the Inbox and Sent items even more cluttered up than they
    >are now.

    Yep ... but ... outlook (which I assume you are using ?) has many useful
    ways to sort and/or find stuff. You could ...
    Create subfolders and sort your stuff as it comes in (or goes out in the
    sent items box). EG, all the stuff from "fred" can go into "freds_folder".
    You can even set it up to do this for you automagically - check out
    Tools/rules and alerts. :)
    With a single click, sort the list of emails by from, to, received on or any
    of the other fields (the headings at the top) ... or by category (for
    example). You can add other fields if you want too (size is my favourite
    ... it *does* matter :) ).

    Or use the search function to find things.

    Keeping all your emails in one big pile is like keeping all your files in
    the top directory. A *really* bad idea for pretty much the reasons you've
    outlined. Only slightly less bad than using the deleted items folder for
    things you might actually need IMO. :)

    And as a general aid, turn preview off if you have it on. More secure that
    way too. :)

    All that typed, whatever works for you is fine of course (I have *only*
    3802 items in my "inbox", but that's since 2005). :)
    Bruce Sinclair, Nov 13, 2012
  15. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2012-11-12, Geopelia <> wrote:

    > "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >> "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    >>> Oh dear! But anything I want to keep goes in a file somewhere else.
    >>> The Recycle bin usually only has BAK files in it, and I empty those.
    >>>

    >> Geopelia, you continually impress me with your computer skills for someone
    >> who keeps insisting you don't "know" them.

    > I don't know anything much, just learning as something comes up.
    > Stuff the various Help menus are no help with, so I ask here.

    Geo, stop putting yourself down. You have the right attitude, what is this,
    or what is that for? This is how one learns.

    If one thinks they can or can not, they are probably right.
    Gordon, Nov 13, 2012
  16. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Gordon" <> wrote in message
    > On 2012-11-12, Geopelia <> wrote:
    >>
    >> "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    >>> "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    >>> Geopelia, you continually impress me with your computer skills for
    >>> someone
    >>> who keeps insisting you don't "know" them.

    >> I don't know anything much, just learning as something comes up.
    >> Stuff the various Help menus are no help with, so I ask here.

    > Geo, stop putting yourself down. You have the right attitude, what is
    > this,
    > or what is that for? This is how one learns.
    >
    > If one thinks they can or can not, they are probably right.

    I won't do anything inside the computer itself, I let the computer man do
    that.
    And I usually buy the disc for Trend micro, instead of downloading all the
    instructions.

    Otherwise I have a go if I understand the instructions for things.
    But I have to read them all carefully in case I get stuck in the middle.

    Sooner or later I will have to get a mobile phone, for calling taxis etc. I
    hope I will be able to understand that.
    But the St John button does a great job.
    Geopelia, Nov 13, 2012
  17. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    in message news:k7s0kp$kvj$...
    > In article <k7ql06$j3l$>, "Geopelia" <>
    > wrote:
    >>"Bruce Sinclair" <> wrote
    >>in message news:k7peqp$ucl$...

    >>> Agreed. How about this ... if you think you might want something, don't
    >>> delete it ? :)

    >>That would leave the Inbox and Sent items even more cluttered up than they
    >>are now.

    > Yep ... but ... outlook (which I assume you are using ?) has many useful
    > ways to sort and/or find stuff. You could ...
    > Create subfolders and sort your stuff as it comes in (or goes out in the
    > sent items box). EG, all the stuff from "fred" can go into "freds_folder".
    > You can even set it up to do this for you automagically - check out
    > Tools/rules and alerts. :)
    > With a single click, sort the list of emails by from, to, received on or
    > any
    > of the other fields (the headings at the top) ... or by category (for
    > example). You can add other fields if you want too (size is my favourite
    > .. it *does* matter :) ).
    >
    > Or use the search function to find things.
    >
    > Keeping all your emails in one big pile is like keeping all your files in
    > the top directory. A *really* bad idea for pretty much the reasons you've
    > outlined. Only slightly less bad than using the deleted items folder for
    > things you might actually need IMO. :)
    >
    > And as a general aid, turn preview off if you have it on. More secure that
    > way too. :)
    >
    > All that typed, whatever works for you is fine of course (I have *only*
    > 3802 items in my "inbox", but that's since 2005). :)

    I have 85 in the Inbox, but some are science magazines etc that I haven't
    read yet.
    Geopelia, Nov 13, 2012