Deleting Folders

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Global_Killa, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    Hey all,
    I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of everything
    that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I tried
    to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.

    I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings folder
    with the OS user accounts.
    I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant format
    the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to fit
    all my backup onto.

    The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete these
    files and folders?

    Thanks for any advice,

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey all,
    > I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    > Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of everything
    > that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I

    tried
    > to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.
    >
    > I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    > folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings folder
    > with the OS user accounts.
    > I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant format
    > the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to fit
    > all my backup onto.
    >
    > The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete these
    > files and folders?

    I should also add that the hard drive is running as a slave, so the files
    shouldn't be in use. The master hard drive is running Windows XP.

    Global_Killa, Jul 3, 2004

  3. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > > Hey all,
    > > I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    > > Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of everything
    > > that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I

    > tried
    > > to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.
    > >
    > > I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    > > folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings

    folder
    > > with the OS user accounts.
    > > I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant

    format
    > > the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to

    fit
    > > all my backup onto.
    > >
    > > The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete

    these
    > > files and folders?

    > I should also add that the hard drive is running as a slave, so the files
    > shouldn't be in use. The master hard drive is running Windows XP.

    I did the very same thing with a slaved NTFS drive, that used to have a
    functional XP install on it. I didn't have any trouble at all deleting the
    system files and folders. They weren't encrypted by any chance were they?
    Thor, Jul 4, 2004
  4. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message

    > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > > "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > > > Hey all,
    > > > I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    > > > Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of

    everything
    > > > that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I

    > > tried
    > > > to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.
    > > >
    > > > I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    > > > folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings

    > folder
    > > > with the OS user accounts.
    > > > I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant

    > format
    > > > the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to

    > fit
    > > > all my backup onto.
    > > >
    > > > The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete

    > these
    > > > files and folders?

    > > I should also add that the hard drive is running as a slave, so the

    files
    > > shouldn't be in use. The master hard drive is running Windows XP.

    > I did the very same thing with a slaved NTFS drive, that used to have a
    > functional XP install on it. I didn't have any trouble at all deleting the
    > system files and folders. They weren't encrypted by any chance were they?

    Nope, no passwords or encryption was used. So I don't know why they wont
    delete.

    Tried a few programs that delete files and folders, and they can't delete
    them either. I have used the same computer name and account names, could
    this be a problem?

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Global_Killa

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Have you tried starting in safe mode and deleting them?

    LJ
    Lloyd Jones, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Have you tried starting in safe mode and deleting them?
    >
    > LJ

    Yep

    <snip from first post>

    I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them.

    <snip>

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jul 4, 2004
  7. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:56:47 +0100, "Global_Killa"
    <> wrote:

    >Hey all,
    > I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    >Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of everything
    >that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I tried
    >to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.
    >
    >I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    >folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings folder
    >with the OS user accounts.
    >I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant format
    >the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to fit
    >all my backup onto.
    >
    >The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete these
    >files and folders?
    >
    >Thanks for any advice,

    Check the folders' properties...and the files also. Are any
    compressed files there? You might also try deleting the files
    first...emptying out the folders.

    Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...

    Trent©

    Trent©, Jul 5, 2004
  8. Global_Killa

    Stuart Guest

    Trent© wrote:
    > On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:56:47 +0100, "Global_Killa"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hey all,
    >> I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    >>Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of everything
    >>that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I tried
    >>to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.
    >>
    >>I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    >>folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings folder
    >>with the OS user accounts.
    >>I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant format
    >>the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to fit
    >>all my backup onto.
    >>
    >>The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete these
    >>files and folders?
    >>
    >>Thanks for any advice,

    > Check the folders' properties...and the files also. Are any
    > compressed files there? You might also try deleting the files
    > first...emptying out the folders.
    >

    > Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...
    >
    > Trent©
    >

    > Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!

    Make sure you are showing hidden files and folders and system files. Do
    this in windows explorer and choose the tools menu > folder options and
    under the view tab. Check 'show hidden files and folder' and also
    uncheck 'hide protected operating system files'.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jul 5, 2004
  9. Global_Killa

    Brad Griffis Guest

    I've experienced this problem multiple times. In fact, even formatting the
    hard drive does not seem to get rid of it! The only thing I've found to get
    rid of everything completely is if you delete the partition and then create
    and format a new partition.

    Do you have partition magic? If so, perhaps you could create a 2nd
    partition on your hard drive, move the data you want to keep to the new
    partition, delete the old partition, create and format another partition,
    and then use partition magic again to merge the partitions.

    Perhaps a better alternative would be getting a DVD burner. You can get one
    for less than $100 now and media is about $1/disc. That way you could save
    the data you want to keep to a DVD and then easily delete that disk
    partition, create a new partition, and format it without needing partition
    magic.

    Good luck!

    Brad

    Brad Griffis, Jul 5, 2004
  10. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > Trent© wrote:
    > > On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 17:56:47 +0100, "Global_Killa"
    > > <> wrote:
    > >

    > >>Hey all,
    > >> I've decided to use one of my hard drives with an installation of
    > >>Windows XP on as a backup drive because its basically full of everything
    > >>that I need to backup. Because I don't need the OS on it any longer I

    tried
    > >>to delete all of the files and folders and only leave my backup files.
    > >>
    > >>I managed to delete a lot of it, but I cant seem to delete the Windows
    > >>folder and few folders with in that and the Documents and Settings

    folder
    > >>with the OS user accounts.
    > >>I've tried booting in Safe Mode but still cant delete them. I cant

    format
    > >>the disk because I haven't got another hard drive with enough space to

    fit
    > >>all my backup onto.
    > >>
    > >>The hard drive is NTFS format. Anyone got any ideas on how to delete

    these
    > >>files and folders?
    > >>
    > >>Thanks for any advice,

    > > Check the folders' properties...and the files also. Are any
    > > compressed files there? You might also try deleting the files
    > > first...emptying out the folders.
    > >

    > > Hope ya'll have a nice 4th of July weekend...
    > >
    > > Trent©
    > >

    > > Proud member of the Roy Rogers fan club!

    > Make sure you are showing hidden files and folders and system files. Do
    > this in windows explorer and choose the tools menu > folder options and
    > under the view tab. Check 'show hidden files and folder' and also
    > uncheck 'hide protected operating system files'.
    >
    > Stuart

    I am showing hidden files and folders, I still cant delete them. I've tried
    deleting the files indivual, but this doesn't work either.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk
    Global_Killa, Jul 5, 2004
  11. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Brad Griffis" <> wrote in message
    > I've experienced this problem multiple times. In fact, even formatting

    the
    > hard drive does not seem to get rid of it! The only thing I've found to

    get
    > rid of everything completely is if you delete the partition and then

    create
    > and format a new partition.
    >
    > Do you have partition magic? If so, perhaps you could create a 2nd
    > partition on your hard drive, move the data you want to keep to the new
    > partition, delete the old partition, create and format another partition,
    > and then use partition magic again to merge the partitions.
    >
    > Perhaps a better alternative would be getting a DVD burner. You can get

    one
    > for less than $100 now and media is about $1/disc. That way you could

    save
    > the data you want to keep to a DVD and then easily delete that disk
    > partition, create a new partition, and format it without needing partition
    > magic.
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > Brad

    I don't have enough space on the hard drive to create a partition. I'm sure
    that if I formatted the hard drive it would delete them, but as I said I
    cant do that either.

    I'm saving up for a DVD-RW but I have other things that I need to buy
    before, so I won't have one for some time.

    --
    Global_Killa

    http://punkthenation.tk

    Global_Killa, Jul 5, 2004
  12. Global_Killa

    Stuart Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:

    >>Make sure you are showing hidden files and folders and system files. Do
    >>this in windows explorer and choose the tools menu > folder options and
    >>under the view tab. Check 'show hidden files and folder' and also
    >>uncheck 'hide protected operating system files'.
    >>
    >>Stuart

    > I am showing hidden files and folders, I still cant delete them. I've tried
    > deleting the files indivual, but this doesn't work either.
    >
    > --
    > Global_Killa
    > "You're a victim of the rules you live by!"
    >
    > http://punkthenation.tk

    How much data are you talking about and what space do you have on the
    non backup drive? Do you have any other way of backing up the data at all.

    Try these options :-

    1. Found this site http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_d.htm#del
    I have not tried it so I can't vouch for it but reading through it looks
    like it will work

    2. Use a USB hard drive if you know someone who could lend you one

    3. Get the system networked to another machine and transfer the files
    temporarily to allow you to format the drive

    4. Put the drive in another machine and try and delete the files

    Are the files causing you any problems, if not, then just hold on until
    you can get a DVD burner.

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jul 6, 2004
  13. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 20:40:43 +0100, "Global_Killa"
    <> wrote:

    >I don't have enough space on the hard drive to create a partition. I'm sure
    >that if I formatted the hard drive it would delete them, but as I said I
    >cant do that either.

    Check to see how much space is being used on the backup drive. Then
    check to see how much free space you have on the boot drive. If the
    free space on the boot drive is reasonably more than the used space on
    the backup drive, create a new partition on the boot drive (and resize
    the original C partition).

    Then clone the backup drive (its partition) to the new partition on
    the boot drive. When done (verify that the data is there),
    repartition and reformat the backup drive. Then copy the pertinent
    data from the new partition on the boot drive to the repartitioned
    backup drive.

    I'd suggest you make the backup drive FAT32.

    When done, delete the new partition on the boot drive...and resize
    that drive.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent©

    What do you call a smart blonde?
    A golden retriever.
    Trent©, Jul 6, 2004
  14. Global_Killa

    Stuart Guest

    Trent© wrote:
    > Check to see how much space is being used on the backup drive. Then
    > check to see how much free space you have on the boot drive. If the
    > free space on the boot drive is reasonably more than the used space on
    > the backup drive, create a new partition on the boot drive (and resize
    > the original C partition).
    >
    > Then clone the backup drive (its partition) to the new partition on
    > the boot drive. When done (verify that the data is there),
    > repartition and reformat the backup drive. Then copy the pertinent
    > data from the new partition on the boot drive to the repartitioned
    > backup drive.
    >
    > I'd suggest you make the backup drive FAT32.
    >
    > When done, delete the new partition on the boot drive...and resize
    > that drive.
    >
    > Good luck.
    >

    > Have a nice week...
    >
    > Trent©
    >
    > What do you call a smart blonde?
    > A golden retriever.

    Why the need to go down that route, just put the information into a
    single folder on the first drive instead?

    Stuart
    Stuart, Jul 8, 2004
  15. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    >Why the need to go down that route, just put the information into a
    >single folder on the first drive instead?

    Because some files can't be copied...but they can all be cloned.

    Trent©, Jul 10, 2004