    When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?

    Regards

    Skinty
    The Office, Aug 13, 2007

  2. The Office

    Mike Easter Guest

    The Office wrote:

    > When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?

    In OE, they don't actually go anywhere until the folders get compacted
    either automatically or manually depending upon your configuration.

    In the begining, an email is filed in a proprietary db folderfile Inbox.
    When you delete a mail from there, your ability to see it in the
    folderfile view is 'obscured' but it is actually still in there. Your
    deletion adds it to the deleted folderfile.

    Some people are not configured to empty their Deleted mail upon exit,
    but the default configuration is to do so, which means that the deleted
    items are pretty much 'gone' (for certain values of gone) from the
    deleted folderfile, but they are still in the Inbox folderfile except
    masked from view.

    Not until you compact your folders are the items in the Inbox which are
    present but masked from view actually 'expunged' from the database.

    Once the folderfile is compacted, the 'space' previously occupied by the
    0s and 1s of the mail's values in the database is potentially accessible
    to other files or folderfiles.

    Serious forensics can recover all kinds of that stuff. If your question
    is based on wanting to really get rid of something, you have a lot to
    learn about.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 13, 2007

  3. The Office wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?

    Sierra Leone.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups.
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 13, 2007
  4. The Office

    ded Guest

    "The Office" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All
    >
    > When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Skinty

    You're using OE so assumed thats what you mean
    The simple and not strictly accurate answer being that they don't go
    anywhere.
    Deleting removes the listing from the inbox and places the listing in
    the deleted items folder, when you empty that folder that removes
    the listing and marks the space as free, but they are still there until
    that space is over-written, and recovery software could find them,
    if thats what you are worried about, then there is software that can
    "fully" delete whatever you don't want to be found.
    ded, Aug 13, 2007
  5. The Office

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > The Office wrote:
    >> Hi All
    >>
    >> When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?

    > Sierra Leone.

    Just don't tell him what THEY do with it when they're done...
    WhzzKdd, Aug 13, 2007
  6. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> The Office wrote:
    >>> Hi All
    >>>
    >>> When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?

    >> Sierra Leone.
    >>

    > Just don't tell him what THEY do with it when they're done...

    I wasn't even going to *hint* at it.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 13, 2007
  7. The Office

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:11:18 +0100, "The Office"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi All
    >
    >When Deleting mail were do the emails go to ?

    They're sent to Homeland Security for investigation.
    Evan Platt, Aug 13, 2007
  8. The Office

    Rectum Burn Guest

    Blinky the Shark <> said in

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Sierra Leone.
    >>>

    >> Just don't tell him what THEY do with it when they're done...

    > I wasn't even going to *hint* at it.

    You mean we shouldn't tell him about the black hole that exists there?

    Rectum Burrrrrrrrn
    Rectum Burn, Aug 13, 2007
  9. The Office

    Vanguard Guest