Deleting adware from registry?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Kenny, May 3, 2005.

  1. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    SpyBot finds these keys but can't remove them.

    Download Accelerator Plus ads: Default ad category (Registry change, fixed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download
    Accelerator\ADSDefaultCategory=Default

    Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSProxy

    Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSFileList

    Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSCategory

    Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSADS

    I have totally removed the Download Accelerator program, can I safely delete
    these keys from the registry?
    Incidentally I also use AdAware and Counterspy, neither of which found these
    although Countertspy found stuff the others missed.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, May 3, 2005

  2. Kenny

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Kenny" <> wrote in message
    > SpyBot finds these keys but can't remove them.
    >
    > Download Accelerator Plus ads: Default ad category (Registry change,
    > fixed)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download
    > Accelerator\ADSDefaultCategory=Default
    >
    > Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSProxy
    >
    > Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSFileList
    >
    > Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSCategory
    >
    > Download Accelerator Plus ads: Ad category (Registry key, fixing failed)
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download Accelerator\ADSADS
    >
    > I have totally removed the Download Accelerator program, can I safely
    > delete these keys from the registry?
    > Incidentally I also use AdAware and Counterspy, neither of which found
    > these although Countertspy found stuff the others missed.

    Sure - delete the keys if you're comfortable editing the registry. I suggest
    making a backup first.

    And it's not at all uncommon for one program to find something the other
    missed - in fact, isn't that why you run more than one in the first place?

    Toolman Tim, May 3, 2005

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

    Thanks for the reply, I'll make a registry backup before doing the deleting.
    The thing about Counterspy is that you have to pay for it, the others are
    free.

    --

    Kenny Cargill

    Kenny, May 3, 2005
  4. Kenny

    Guest

    On Tue, 3 May 2005 00:47:59 +0100, "Kenny" <> wrote:

    |>SpyBot finds these keys but can't remove them.
    |>
    |>Download Accelerator Plus ads: Default ad category (Registry change, fixed)
    |> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SpeedBit\Download
    |>Accelerator\ADSDefaultCategory=Default

    Save the reg entries as a text file, add regedit4 <return> <return> on
    the first line.

    Then put a - in front of each reg entry, save the file as
    something.reg, double click on the file and it will delete the
    entries.

    IE: - Download Accelerator Plus ads:

    --
    http://www.netives.com/Games/Mahjongg/Play.shtml

    , May 3, 2005
  5. Kenny wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply, I'll make a registry backup before doing the deleting.
    > The thing about Counterspy is that you have to pay for it, the others are
    > free.

    Your post got me to looking at some reviews of Counterspy. Most of the
    easy to find reviews were gushing all over themselves. Then PC
    Magazine's review rated it 2½ out of 5, faint praise indeed. And it said
    it's based on the same engine as Microsoft Antispyware, which is free.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, May 3, 2005
  6. Kenny

    Plato Guest

    Kenny wrote:

    > I have totally removed the Download Accelerator program, can I safely delete
    > these keys from the registry?

    In theory, yes, no problem, remove them.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, May 3, 2005