    partition and would only let me load on the 2nd partition.

    now I cant get to the 1st partition to dump it. If you could tell me how to
    f dist and dump the partition so I could start fresh? THANKS IN ADVANCE

    Todd, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Todd

    docmill Guest

    "Todd" <> wrote in
    news:a1_Sb.12773$:

    > I tried to load xp pro on a hp pavilion already running 98se it found
    > a partition and would only let me load on the 2nd partition.
    >
    > now I cant get to the 1st partition to dump it. If you could tell me
    > how to f dist and dump the partition so I could start fresh?
    > THANKS IN ADVANCE

    Try a boot up disk, run fdisk and delete the logical partition before the
    primary partition and then try load it again.

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Todd

    Craven Birds Guest

    "Todd" <> wrote in message
    > I tried to load xp pro on a hp pavilion already running 98se it found a
    > partition and would only let me load on the 2nd partition.
    >
    > now I cant get to the 1st partition to dump it. If you could tell me how

    > f dist and dump the partition so I could start fresh? THANKS IN

    ADVANCE

    A better explanation required really what you have done exactly? You might
    not need to do a complete reformat etc.

    If now you are in a dual-boot situation for example, all you need to do is
    edit the boot.ini file then just delete Win XP files on the partition UNLESS
    you have changed the partition format from fat32.

    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://www.freewebs.com/birding/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    Craven Birds, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Todd

    Harrison Guest

    Are you installing as an upgrade or a fresh install?
    If fresh install, boot to the XP CD and use the setup utility to
    delete all partitions, then create a new one or more as desired.
    Format as desired and install.

    If it's an upgrade, then you have a couple of options.
    Start Windows disk manager and see if the other partition shows up
    there. If so, try to handle it from there.
    Still no good?

    Boot to a DOS or 9x/ME floppy and run fdisk.
    Make sure you display the partition information first, so you don't
    blow away the wrong one. Note: Since the machine is a HP, this may be
    their restore partition and it may show as a non-DOS one at that.

    Harrison, Feb 1, 2004