    which are for other tasks like system restore.

    any insight?

    Thanks
    Jack B. Pollack, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Jack B. Pollack wrote:

    > I have decided to turn off Indexing service on my Win XP machine, and I do
    > see a performance gain. I would like to complete the 'cleanup' and delete
    > the index file as well. Looking at the indexing service it appears that
    > the index is stored in the 'System Volume Information' folder.
    >
    > I have given myself full rights to this folder, and would like to delete
    > the index file, but I am unsure of which files relate to indexing services
    > and which are for other tasks like system restore.
    >
    > any insight?
    >
    > Thanks

    Unfortunately, you must use the Indexing Service to delete the indexes. They
    are Windows system files and you can't delete them yourself. So:

    1. Run the indexing service
    2. Poke around on the toolbar, you will find a place where you can delete
    the indexes (it's been a while, sorry I can't be more specific)
    3. Use the toolbar option to stop using the indexing service
    4. Shut the thing down finally for good and all.

    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Sep 11, 2003

  3. Thanks.