deleted my c: drive using fdisk, need to install windows xp now?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by senthilS, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. senthilS

    senthilS Guest

    Hi,

    I was using windows XP with 80GB HDD, I wanted to format the OS and do
    a fresh OS installation.

    Somehow my WinXP CD was not booting during the startup when I made the
    BIOS to be CD Drive bootable, I used FDISK to format the C: drive ( it
    was the only drive I had with windows files in it), now I am not able
    to boot using my WinXP CD and I am clueless what to do?

    I even tried borrowing my friends WinXP installation CD and used it in
    my laptop still the WinXP is not booting( I checked the WinXP CD's I
    used and they were bootable).

    When I boot my comp it is going to DOS mode and I am not able to
    execute the setup.exe files , is there any settings I am missing?

    Thanks,
    senthilS, Mar 7, 2006

  2. senthilS

    Rick Merrill Guest

    senthilS wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was using windows XP with 80GB HDD, I wanted to format the OS and do
    > a fresh OS installation.
    >
    > Somehow my WinXP CD was not booting during the startup when I made the
    > BIOS to be CD Drive bootable, I used FDISK to format the C: drive ( it
    > was the only drive I had with windows files in it), now I am not able
    > to boot using my WinXP CD and I am clueless what to do?
    >
    > I even tried borrowing my friends WinXP installation CD and used it in
    > my laptop still the WinXP is not booting( I checked the WinXP CD's I
    > used and they were bootable).
    >
    > When I boot my comp it is going to DOS mode and I am not able to
    > execute the setup.exe files , is there any settings I am missing?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Does your instruction manual tell you how to access the BIOS? (esc or f8
    or somesuch) The BIOS does POST code that determines what device to use
    for boot: it's mini-user-interface lets you choose C or CD or floppy ...
    Rick Merrill, Mar 7, 2006

  3. senthilS

    senthilS Guest

    I followed the instructions but the CD is not booting?

    Now I am in a situation that I dont have my Partition C: and I should
    either recover my deleted partition or install OS, is there anyway I
    can run the setup.exe file in WIN XP CD?

    Thanks
    senthilS, Mar 7, 2006
  4. senthilS

    old jon Guest

    "senthilS" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was using windows XP with 80GB HDD, I wanted to format the OS and do
    > a fresh OS installation.
    >
    > Somehow my WinXP CD was not booting during the startup when I made the
    > BIOS to be CD Drive bootable, I used FDISK to format the C: drive ( it
    > was the only drive I had with windows files in it), now I am not able
    > to boot using my WinXP CD and I am clueless what to do?
    >
    > I even tried borrowing my friends WinXP installation CD and used it in
    > my laptop still the WinXP is not booting( I checked the WinXP CD's I
    > used and they were bootable).
    >
    > When I boot my comp it is going to DOS mode and I am not able to
    > execute the setup.exe files , is there any settings I am missing?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Hi Sen. You use Fdisk to partition your drive.
    You use Format to format your drive
    When you went into the BIOS, did you make CD the first device ?.
    And did you Save the settings when you exited ?.
    You must have a floppy disc you used, to fdisk and format.
    What you could try is, boot into DOS with the floppy, then
    issue the command `CD` to the drive letter of your CD drive,
    let`s assume D:
    then do a `DIR` command to see if the CD is there.
    Type setup.exe and see if that does it for you.

    --
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 7, 2006
  5. senthilS

    Plato Guest

    senthilS wrote:

    > I followed the instructions but the CD is not booting?

    Then one can use a 1.44 bootdisk with cdrom drivers, then go the the
    i386 folder on the cd and type in:

    winnt.exe

    to install XP from dos.

    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Mar 7, 2006
  6. senthilS

    John Holmes Guest

    old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "senthilS" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I was using windows XP with 80GB HDD, I wanted to format the OS and do
    >> a fresh OS installation.
    >>
    >> Somehow my WinXP CD was not booting during the startup when I made the
    >> BIOS to be CD Drive bootable, I used FDISK to format the C: drive ( it
    >> was the only drive I had with windows files in it), now I am not able
    >> to boot using my WinXP CD and I am clueless what to do?
    >>
    >> I even tried borrowing my friends WinXP installation CD and used it in
    >> my laptop still the WinXP is not booting( I checked the WinXP CD's I
    >> used and they were bootable).
    >>
    >> When I boot my comp it is going to DOS mode and I am not able to
    >> execute the setup.exe files , is there any settings I am missing?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>

    > Hi Sen. You use Fdisk to partition your drive.
    > You use Format to format your drive
    > When you went into the BIOS, did you make CD the first device ?.
    > And did you Save the settings when you exited ?.
    > You must have a floppy disc you used, to fdisk and format.
    > What you could try is, boot into DOS with the floppy, then
    > issue the command `CD` to the drive letter of your CD drive,
    > let`s assume D:
    > then do a `DIR` command to see if the CD is there.
    > Type setup.exe and see if that does it for you.

    setup.exe?

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

    --
    Your mother was a sarcastic clod who used to eat crumbly biscuits with
    the help of volunteer workers.
    John Holmes, Mar 7, 2006
  7. senthilS

    old jon Guest

    "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    > old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "senthilS" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> I was using windows XP with 80GB HDD, I wanted to format the OS and do
    >>> a fresh OS installation.
    >>>
    >>> Somehow my WinXP CD was not booting during the startup when I made the
    >>> BIOS to be CD Drive bootable, I used FDISK to format the C: drive ( it
    >>> was the only drive I had with windows files in it), now I am not able
    >>> to boot using my WinXP CD and I am clueless what to do?
    >>>
    >>> I even tried borrowing my friends WinXP installation CD and used it in
    >>> my laptop still the WinXP is not booting( I checked the WinXP CD's I
    >>> used and they were bootable).
    >>>
    >>> When I boot my comp it is going to DOS mode and I am not able to
    >>> execute the setup.exe files , is there any settings I am missing?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks,
    >>>

    >> Hi Sen. You use Fdisk to partition your drive.
    >> You use Format to format your drive
    >> When you went into the BIOS, did you make CD the first device ?.
    >> And did you Save the settings when you exited ?.
    >> You must have a floppy disc you used, to fdisk and format.
    >> What you could try is, boot into DOS with the floppy, then
    >> issue the command `CD` to the drive letter of your CD drive,
    >> let`s assume D:
    >> then do a `DIR` command to see if the CD is there.
    >> Type setup.exe and see if that does it for you.
    >>

    > setup.exe?
    >
    > BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

    Open your WinXP CD jh. And have a look.
    old jon, Mar 7, 2006
  8. senthilS

    John Holmes Guest

    old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >> old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >>

    >>> "senthilS" <> wrote in message

    do

    the

    it

    able

    in

    >>> Hi Sen. You use Fdisk to partition your drive.
    >>> You use Format to format your drive
    >>> When you went into the BIOS, did you make CD the first device ?.
    >>> And did you Save the settings when you exited ?.
    >>> You must have a floppy disc you used, to fdisk and format.
    >>> What you could try is, boot into DOS with the floppy, then
    >>> issue the command `CD` to the drive letter of your CD drive,
    >>> let`s assume D:
    >>> then do a `DIR` command to see if the CD is there.
    >>> Type setup.exe and see if that does it for you.
    >>>

    >> setup.exe?
    >>
    >> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
    >>

    > Open your WinXP CD jh. And have a look.

    Do it yourself. Boot from a DOS or W98 floppy and run setup from the CD
    to see what happens.
    No hard feelings here, you're just an old man...
    ;-)

    --
    Your mother was a bulbous taxi-driver who was so incompetent she had to
    be kept in a home for the permanently baffled.
    John Holmes, Mar 7, 2006
  9. senthilS

    > old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >

    >> "John Holmes" <> wrote in message
    >>> old jon blabbered in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > do

    > the

    > it

    > able

    > in

    >>> setup.exe?
    >>>
    >>> BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
    >>>

    >> Open your WinXP CD jh. And have a look.
    >>

    > Do it yourself. Boot from a DOS or W98 floppy and run setup from the CD
    > to see what happens.
    > No hard feelings here, you're just an old man...
    > ;-)
    >
    > --
    > Your mother was a bulbous taxi-driver who was so incompetent she had to
    > be kept in a home for the permanently baffled.

    Oo, I am a silly old man. I don`t know why I was thinking winME.
    Forgive me John, I`ll think before I speak next time <g>.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Mar 8, 2006
  10. senthilS

    (
    >> it

    >> able

    it
    >> in

    >>> Open your WinXP CD jh. And have a look.
    >>>

    >> Do it yourself. Boot from a DOS or W98 floppy and run setup from the

    CD
    >> to see what happens.
    >> No hard feelings here, you're just an old man...
    >> ;-)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Your mother was a bulbous taxi-driver who was so incompetent she had

    >> be kept in a home for the permanently baffled.
    >>

    > Oo, I am a silly old man. I don`t know why I was thinking winME.
    > Forgive me John, I`ll think before I speak next time <g>.
    > bw..OJ

    You'd better...

    --
    Your mother was a quarrelsome prostitute who worshipped cheese in kinky
    sex clubs.
    John Holmes, Mar 8, 2006
  11. senthilS wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was using windows XP with 80GB HDD, I wanted to format the OS and do
    > a fresh OS installation.
    >
    > Somehow my WinXP CD was not booting during the startup when I made the
    > BIOS to be CD Drive bootable, I used FDISK to format the C: drive ( it
    > was the only drive I had with windows files in it), now I am not able
    > to boot using my WinXP CD and I am clueless what to do?
    >
    > I even tried borrowing my friends WinXP installation CD and used it in
    > my laptop still the WinXP is not booting( I checked the WinXP CD's I
    > used and they were bootable).
    >
    > When I boot my comp it is going to DOS mode and I am not able to
    > execute the setup.exe files , is there any settings I am missing?
    >
    > Thanks,

    How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
    GreenieLeBrun, Mar 8, 2006