    changes
    Any ideas please?
    free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..
    poster, May 22, 2009

  2. poster

    1PW Guest

    poster wrote:
    > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
    > any more
    > (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
    > partition and boot sectors deleted)
    > Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
    > still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
    > Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
    > changes
    > Any ideas please?
    > free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

    Hello:

    This reads like you have some experience. It also reads like you're
    about a half-step from salvaging what you can from that HDD and
    starting from the beginning.

    Good luck to you.

    Pete
    --
    1PW @?6A62?FEH9:DE=6o2@=]4@> [r4o7t]
    1PW, May 22, 2009

  3. poster

    Guest

    poster <> wrote:

    >HDD FAT

    >Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
    >changes

    Norton Disc Dr. never did me any good.

    Use Norton DiskEdit.exe, use it to exchange the FATS.

    If you didn't know, there are two fat tables, If first goes bad you
    can replace it with the second. Norton diskedit has an option to do
    just that.

    --

    Unusual and awesome view of Saturn
    http://tinyurl.com/r9fqxb
  4. poster

    chuckcar Guest

    poster <> wrote in

    > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
    > any more
    > (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
    > partition and boot sectors deleted)
    > Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
    > still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
    > Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
    > changes
    > Any ideas please?
    > free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

    Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything there?
    If not, you're scrawed.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 23, 2009
  5. poster

    poster Guest

    On May 22, 9:09 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > poster <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
    > > any more
    > > (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
    > > partition and boot sectors deleted)
    > > Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software but
    > > still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
    > > Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
    > > changes
    > > Any ideas please?
    > > free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

    > Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything there?
    > If not, you're scrawed.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
    unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
    I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
    rebuilding MBR in PTD
    poster, May 23, 2009
  6. poster

    Mike Easter Guest

    posted to 24hshd only

    poster wrote:
    Subject: deleted mbr, boot sector

    How did you do that? ie with what?

    > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found
    > (appears unallocated)

    If there is junk in the sector zero, the mbr won't read. mbr restore
    doesn't fix that, you need to hand edit/zero it with something like
    norton disk editor.

    > Any ideas please?

    If you've recovered all your data and you are just trying to get your hdd
    back, zero out the boot sector by hand.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 23, 2009
  7. poster

    chuckcar Guest

    poster <> wrote in

    > On May 22, 9:09 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> poster <> wrote
    >> innews:
    >> :
    >>
    >> > so the primary HDD FAT partition cannot be found(appears unallocated)
    >> > any more
    >> > (lost &found recovery software used to copy the files,said: master
    >> > partition and boot sectors deleted)
    >> > Rebuilt MBR and partition table in Partition table doctor software
    >> > but still same (actually now it reports first partition free)
    >> > Active partition recovery,Norton Disc doctor- no help so undid their
    >> > changes
    >> > Any ideas please?
    >> > free SPFdisk 2000 has also a rebuild MBR function..

    >> Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything
    >> there? If not, you're scrawed.
    >>
    >> --
    >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    > no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
    > unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
    > I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
    > rebuilding MBR in PTD

    No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
    meant with a hex editor.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 23, 2009
  8. chuckcar wrote:

    > No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
    > meant with a hex editor.

    Superb advice, chuckturd. Yeah, like there is some enormous percentage
    of people coming here for help that would know how to use a hex editor.
    Not!

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 23, 2009
  9. poster

    poster Guest

    On May 23, 9:49 am, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > poster <> wrote innews::
    >

    > > On May 22, 9:09 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > >> poster <> wrote
    > >> innews:
    > >> :

    > >> Have you looked at the directory sectors to see if there's anything
    > >> there? If not, you're scrawed.

    > >> --
    > >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    > > no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
    > > unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
    > > I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
    > > rebuilding MBR in PTD

    > No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
    > meant with a hex editor.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    when l&f found files you mean it was not using fat tables-
    but is it possible fat tables are intact and only mbr and partition
    table in it are deleted
    so neeed to be rebuilt somehow
    poster, May 23, 2009
  10. poster

    chuckcar Guest

    poster <> wrote in

    > On May 23, 9:49 am, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> poster <> wrote
    >> innews::

    >> > no dirs -disk cannot be found in win/dos(however primary partition is
    >> > unallocated and secondray is there, files on both as well)
    >> > I guess I should have gone for -rebuild Partition table after
    >> > rebuilding MBR in PTD

    >> No, I didn't mean do a directory - that will probably fail anyways. I
    >> meant with a hex editor.
    >>

    > when l&f found files you mean it was not using fat tables-
    > but is it possible fat tables are intact and only mbr and partition
    > table in it are deleted
    > so neeed to be rebuilt somehow

    Well, I've done it myself with FAT16, but you *have* to know how the disk
    is set up - everything about it - because you have to do it manually. Not
    only that, if you do something wrong, there's no going back. If just doing
    a chkdsk doesn't fix it, then there's directory problems. A chkdsk only
    works properly if *all* the directory sectors are known anyways,
    otherwise, you end up having everything else marked as available and will
    be overwritten.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, May 24, 2009